Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

o2 housing or dump worth it for ix???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twabtoxer
stock 9 turbo spools faster plus I like scaring the bejesus out of the people at bus stops
And in tunnels!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an EWG w/ Dump Tube to Atmosphere, it was cool in the beginning but then I just got tired of it and had the Dump Tube welded into the DP to go through the whole exhaust instead of heaving that obnoxious sound. I prefer the Car + Turbo sound over the Dump Tube. Just my 0.02.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Dumps make power and improve spool. They are loud as hell, and a lot of people don't like them for that downside, but for dedicated track cars or people who don't mind the noise it's a good upgrade. One issue I had with my first o2 dump was boost creep issues at low boost levels. I had a custom dump created instead which holds my target boost without creep now.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but the only dumps that that cause boost creep are the ill-designed o2 housings that mate to stock location downpipes.

my MAP o2 dump downpipe has zero creep (as witnessed by my boost curve thats flat as Kansas at wastegate spring pressure). i'd go as far to say it's one of my favorite mods on my car
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
turbine side is a true 3" straight through

necks down to ~2.75" at the downpipe flange
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mistaken
No true benefit? How about more power and better spool???
Prove that... Prove my recieculated pipe doesnt spool faster... I install these all the time unfortunately... And i have plenty of before and after experience...

If it does happen to increase spool its only over a low flowing housing... Not a works or ams widemouth...

Infact the side that is dumped is to stop the turbo from spooling yack nuts... Its the waste gate side. Where exhaust gases are bypassing the turbine to slow its speed to stop over boosting... Since that flap is closed on spool... Where is the benfefit?

Now stop being sheep... Stop following a herd... And learn before your speak.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
Prove that... Prove my recieculated pipe doesnt spool faster... I install these all the time unfortunately... And i have plenty of before and after experience...

If it does happen to increase spool its only over a low flowing housing... Not a works or ams widemouth...

Infact the side that is dumped is to stop the turbo from spooling yack nuts... Its the waste gate side. Where exhaust gases are bypassing the turbine to slow its speed to stop over boosting... Since that flap is closed on spool... Where is the benfefit?

Now stop being sheep... Stop following a herd... And learn before your speak.
: popcorn :
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOjunky
: popcorn :
Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I think the benefits are there and the turbo characteristics change but I don't think it will make a huge difference in power when you are on pump gas at 300-350hp. It just shifts the powerband a little. The one time I really like it was at the Autox track. Coming out of the last corner with your foot hammered down. Nothing holding you back.

But when you get on the freeway and have to merge with traffic, only to see a semi barreling down on you and the the left lane completely packed with cars. You have no choice but to come to a complete stop or scare the **** out of half of dozen drivers (and hope to god they don't panic).

If you want an idea what it really sounds like. Take a rusted *** '85 toyota pickup. Redneck lift and sporting 4-5 different colors. Now remove the exhaust completely off the truck's manifold and floor it. That is what it sounds like.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:36 PM

So if noise and emissions are not a matter; dump it and deal with it.
For more sensible option while not going crazy with it; recirculate it.

Main question is, how much more power or torque is anyone really seeing in the difference between the two?

Multiple videos and posts talk about smile factor and butt dyno results with harder pulls (increased torque)... But is there any real evidence out there from any of the shops?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
JohnBradley is a knowledgeable guy when it comes to dumps. You can get a little info out of this thread if it helps.

Last edited by Thore; Jun 6, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:02 PM

here's mine I decided if I was doing a dump go big or go home I only drive mine on nice days so weather wasn't a big factor for me and I don't have emissions were I live and lastly you for sure get a ton of looks with a pipe sticking out of your hood

its a ETS o2 eliminator downpipe with hood exit!

Last edited by sinople1; Jun 5, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know much about o2 dumps... but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night!

In all seriousness though, I'd stay away from it, too much noise and attention. Reminds me of big trucks w smokestack exhausts...you just shake your head and ask why?? I bet it sounds cool but I daily mine so not for me
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:06 PM

yall need a snickers bar.....so much hate , if everyone modded there evo the same it would be pretty boring actually. So if the guy wants a pipe sticking out of the hood, so be it. Anyways to solve the problem...does anyone just have a dyno before and after a o2 housing install?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fightex
correct me if i'm wrong but the only dumps that that cause boost creep are the ill-designed o2 housings that mate to stock location downpipes.

my MAP o2 dump downpipe has zero creep (as witnessed by my boost curve thats flat as Kansas at wastegate spring pressure). i'd go as far to say it's one of my favorite mods on my car
If you aren't seeing creep on the MAP dump you aren't trying to run lower boost levels. I have the same part and the housing is poorly designed (I don't believe MAP designed the housing itself). For classing purposes I was restricted to much lower boost levels than I normally run and tried dropping down to 20 psi and saw boost creep up to ~25 psi. Dropped down to 18 psi, wastegate pressure and saw it creep up to ~25 psi. This is with the 3D ported version they advertise as "solving" the boost creep issues they have seen with the housing.

In the end my shop had to hack out the dump section of the housing and create a custom dump to run lower boost levels. The closer you run towards the 25 psi range the less likely you are to see the creep problems inherent in the design. My custom dump works quite well though, and makes great power.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
The more boost you try to run the less comes out the dump.

I ran as little as 15 psi on my muse o2 housing. No creep there. When I put a hp wga on I started to creep.

The map o2 eliminator bell mouth seems like the best option to me. Where the gasses are bypassed its 3" unlike a typical o2 housing necks much more.

The magan is the bang for the buck otoh.

Quick Reply: o2 housing or dump worth it for ix???