Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

o2 housing or dump worth it for ix???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on your age I think. lol

I had one on a 97 Eagle Talon and it was the worst mod I ever put on that car. Immediate regret followed.

Can you ride in someone's car that already has one installed?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
The more boost you try to run the less comes out the dump.

I ran as little as 15 psi on my muse o2 housing. No creep there. When I put a hp wga on I started to creep.

The map o2 eliminator bell mouth seems like the best option to me. Where the gasses are bypassed its 3" unlike a typical o2 housing necks much more.

The magan is the bang for the buck otoh.
Right, the more you run, the less the restriction the housing has matters because the less comes out. In the case of the MAP o2 eliminator it necks down very steeply causing a lot of backpressure and limits the flow it can dump out. The more boost you run, the less flow it needs. Some of the regular o2 housings like the Megan or Invida are actually pretty good from a flow perspective because they are large and don't neck down.

From a backpressure/flow perspective I would rate a true open wastegate best with a properly designed dump housing next, then a properly designed closed housing. Anything that has excessive reductions or bends will hurt power production and spool. One of the reasons I dislike stock frame o2 dumps which curl upwards to exit through the hood. That 90 degree U-bend is definitely not ideal for power production.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:44 AM

I do agree that the u bend on mine probably isnt ideal but im making very good power for my setup its a compeltely stock never opened motor with a bbk full ported on e75 with bolt ons it made 484awhp tuned by strictly modified going back to see what it puts down on true e85 in the next few weeks
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:27 PM

i have a QTP and wouldn't buy one again. not worth it IMO
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
Prove that...
I dont have to... Aaron over at English has done it for me.

Originally Posted by Thore
JohnBradley is a knowledgeable guys when it comes to dumps. You can get a little info out of this thread if it helps.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The simple fact is this: as stated before.. Your gains will be much more pronounced the bigger the turbo and higher the boost you run. With a stock turbo an open o2 dump is little more than a noise maker. It is possible you may have slightly better spool, but thats about it...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I added mine with a stock turbo, I gained 15whp and my buddy who had the same mods ended up 20whp HIGHER than what I came in at. Same tuner, same day. So it might be more the car than simply saying with a stock turbo it wont make much difference.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by aporambo
Depends on your age I think. lol

I had one on a 97 Eagle Talon and it was the worst mod I ever put on that car. Immediate regret followed.

Can you ride in someone's car that already has one installed?
Unfortunately I cannot. Where I live in central PA, Williamsport, there are a few evo's here but all are tame. Tim here, Lancerboy89, has his built up pretty well from CBRD but it is not dumped. He was saying CBRD doesn't recommend them either.

Noise doesn't bother me all that much. I just wanted to know if I was leaving 5-20+ hp or torque on the table by sticking with a housing unit rather than a dump.

From what I've seen, toxic fab, jmf, map or a custom made model are the best dumps.
I haven't seen any hard evidence for housings other than people saying Megan's is best bang for the buck. Invidia flows well but no gains really? And toxic fab, well premium quality for the best of the best... but also premium price. But who buys an evo and expects or wants to go cheap?!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:45 PM

i prefer open dump. not just because the sound but i just like everything about it..
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
If you aren't seeing creep on the MAP dump you aren't trying to run lower boost levels. I have the same part and the housing is poorly designed (I don't believe MAP designed the housing itself). For classing purposes I was restricted to much lower boost levels than I normally run and tried dropping down to 20 psi and saw boost creep up to ~25 psi. Dropped down to 18 psi, wastegate pressure and saw it creep up to ~25 psi. This is with the 3D ported version they advertise as "solving" the boost creep issues they have seen with the housing.

In the end my shop had to hack out the dump section of the housing and create a custom dump to run lower boost levels. The closer you run towards the 25 psi range the less likely you are to see the creep problems inherent in the design. My custom dump works quite well though, and makes great power.
on the base map with 0 wgdc I was able to do 22.5psi from ~3800rpm all the way to redline. No creep with mine whatsoever. Sucks that you had bad luck with yours. Did you ever talk to MAP about it?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:46 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Macurts
yall need a snickers bar.....so much hate , if everyone modded there evo the same it would be pretty boring actually. So if the guy wants a pipe sticking out of the hood, so be it. Anyways to solve the problem...does anyone just have a dyno before and after a o2 housing install?
Yes, Buschur does. They tested a number of O2 housings, rejecting some due to poor performance, and pointed to one as an improvement. The test registered a ~15whp gain. 15whp sounds good, right? Well, it did to almost everyone who bought an Evo - most were stock-ish then - and bolted on the piece. Then, the forum threads started, all citing gains and many 02 housings were sold as a result of the mass of anecdotal recommendations. What's the problem, then? BR's test also showed a change the boost profile that was mostly responsible for the gain.

[OT] FWIW, I never installed an o2 housing on my car, along with any other useless parts for non-heavily modified motors like LICPs, etc. No real point to it. Then, there's a lost of factory reliability, fit, install pressures ...and for what? To tell folks on a forum that you bought a part? To park the +100K mile 6-owner beat-to-sh/t atrocity at some meet and stand next to it hoping for accolades from other losers? It must be a great life. [/OT]
Old Jun 7, 2013, 08:12 AM

I personally don't like the open dump. Too loud.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sr20det91
The simple fact is this: as stated before.. Your gains will be much more pronounced the bigger the turbo and higher the boost you run. With a stock turbo an open o2 dump is little more than a noise maker. It is possible you may have slightly better spool, but thats about it...
Thank you!

Its an attention getter' more than anything. Just like people stated "bus stops, tunnels, scaring people". Really smart to have even more potential for tickets too. Same people run overly rich tunes so that more flames come out of their exhaust.

to each his own, these are only opinions.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:12 PM

very interesting thread here
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:59 AM

I ended up getting the ported o2 housing from Buschur (ported Megan's).

No dyno numbers as I'm still not finished with putting the car all together. So at this time, I cannot report any results quite yet.

Quick Reply: o2 housing or dump worth it for ix???