Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

o2 housing or dump worth it for ix???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2 question for ix???

Lurker here.. And yes I've done a bit of searching so far but I cannot find a definitive answer.

I am looking to complete the bolt on setup and can't decide on o2 dump or housing?

From what I have read, o2 dumps are preferred for high boost and larger turbos. I am looking to be at maybe 25 psi max but will most likely keep it lower. Stock ix turbo with no intention immediately for a larger one.

So far everything suggest ported and coated o2 housing through Megan Racing or MAP for best results with my setup.

Others say o2 dumps will be best bang for the buck regardless but are obnoxiously loud. But with regular driving they can be fine.

So what are your opinions out there?

Setup:
Intake
Buschur tbe
MR res test pipe
Walbro 255
Ets licp
Aftermarket manifold in future as no major need or gains

Last edited by iceburg470; Jun 4, 2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: More accurate title and spell correct
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In my opinion the amount of work to swap o2 housing/dump is not worth the minimal power gain. If I were to do it over I would have stuck with the stock o2 housing. If not trying to set any records or anything or getting the last tiny bit of power out skip it and do injectors and run e85. If you want to keep your car a little quieter then stick with recirculated housing over the dump.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:45 PM

Can't run e85 as there nearest station is over 75 miles away.

But yeah, looking for a good solid build without increasing turbo setup.

Forgot to mention earlier, GSC S2 cams will be in near future as well.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ricer mod. Might as well put an HKS bov on it, and some 12000k HID headlight bulbs. Do it right and get an external wastegate or stay internal.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Danner
Ricer mod. Might as well put an HKS bov on it, and some 12000k HID headlight bulbs. Do it right and get an external wastegate or stay internal.
O2 dump will result in significantly less exhaust back pressure making more power easier. Not sure how that is ricer. Increasing power and reliability sounds like quite a reasonable modification to me. The downside is of course the obnoxiously loud noise.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Danner
Please explain the "ricer" in this mod. Might aswell call anti-lag ricer because its loud.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on week 4 with my o2 dump. It's a love/hate thing. Coming from an already ported 3" o2 housing I didn't notice much gains besides the somewhat faster spool.

I used to get on the freeway WOT for a few second for kicks but with an o2 dump, I have to hold back. Cops don't have to see you to know you are accelerating. The good thing about it is the fact you can control when the dump opens up. While some say it sounds beastly, I didn't like the exhaust note one bit. It's growing on me but still, it's not a pleasant sound. (In my opinion)
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I went from a Megan o2 to a MAP o2 eliminator dump downpipe and I love it. With a FP 25psi wastegate actuator preloaded quite a bit, mine opens at 22.5psi and holds it all the way though to redline (with 0% wgdc). Besides the noise (which I personally love), you'll usually see a decrease in spool time and increase in power, depending on how restrictive your old setup was. The bigger engine/turbo setup you have, the more gains you're going to see.

If you're boosting 20psi+ around the police and expect not to get ticketed...
Old Jun 5, 2013, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thore
I'm on week 4 with my o2 dump. It's a love/hate thing. Coming from an already ported 3" o2 housing I didn't notice much gains besides the somewhat faster spool.

I used to get on the freeway WOT for a few second for kicks but with an o2 dump, I have to hold back. Cops don't have to see you to know you are accelerating. The good thing about it is the fact you can control when the dump opens up. While some say it sounds beastly, I didn't like the exhaust note one bit. It's growing on me but still, it's not a pleasant sound. (In my opinion)
Im 100% with you. I just got my car back Monday from getting a turbo upgrade and Having my 02 Dump through the hood.. and lets just say I wish i would have heard one before i decided to get it.. dont get me wrong it puts a smile on my face every time I go WOT but saying its Loud is basically and Understatement.. If you drive your car a good bit I would stay Recirculated since youll see minimal gains if any on the stock turbo by getting a dump.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:10 AM

I love my o2 dump, wouldn't have it any other way. And I also have a hks bov lol but only cause stock one was leaking and I had this one sittin collecting dust and running SD.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are worried about it, you probably shouldnt get an open dump.

They are loud, obnoxious and full of awesome!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there is no true benefit to an open dump... a boat load of down sides... and there is of course the RICER noise when hitting boost...

the typical o2 housing upgrade is more then enough for the average user...
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mistaken
If you are worried about it, you probably shouldnt get an open dump.

They are loud, obnoxious and full of awesome!
stock 9 turbo spools faster plus I like scaring the bejesus out of the people at bus stops
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
there is no true benefit to an open dump... a boat load of down sides... and there is of course the RICER noise when hitting boost...

^^^ remember if its an open dump, is has no muffler, no baffle--nothing except the turbo to muffle noise. So essentially a straight pipe to exit.. My .02 is unless your car is a drag car ONLY ( and at the track only)you dont need and ought not be driving around town with an open dump.. then again, if you like making new friends with the local cops--- hey have at it..
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143

No true benefit? How about more power and better spool???

Quick Reply: o2 housing or dump worth it for ix???