Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Limp Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp Mode Question

Is it normal for all electronic components to shut down before entering limp mode? Clock dimming out, radio shutting off, A/C and heater not working, then the car won't rev past 2,000 RPM. Trying to figure out the solution to this problem I'm having https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ease-help.html
but not sure if its an engine problem causing limp mode, or if the electrical components are going out due to bad wiring causing the car to go into limp mode, any help would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Last time my evo went into limp mode was because the intercooler coupling blew off but all electronics worked as they should. The car just wouldn't rev over 2000 rpms. I know it's a shot in the dark but I've read some other issues evo owners have had with their eletrical systems and some times water gets into the connector down by the drivers side kick panel I believe and corrodes the connector. I'm not saying that's what your issue is but it could possibly be worth a shot?

Last edited by 19DB794; Jun 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:36 AM

Yeah I'm gonna take a look at that and a couple other things.. I feel like if its a problem with the intercooler or any other engine component, the electronics would still be fine, so I was just wondering if limp mode causes the electronics to shut off, but your situation explains that it doesn't, so I definitely feel there's a wiring or grounding issue somewhere, just gotta find out what it is though that is causing the components to die out but also causing the car to limp
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't think blowing a intercooler coupling summons a limp mode - it is more like screwed up mixture mode. The ECU has a number or modes where if some sensor quits it can use another sensor or a stored value to continue to run. There is no generic limp mode and none that I know of that should cause your problem.

When this problem occurs I suggest wiggling and shaking and tapping on wiring and electrical components. Something may be loose. If it is just failing because of heat that may be harder to find but suggests electronics. Also, maybe drive with a volt meter connected across the battery with the gauge inside the car.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeez that really sucks. I've never heard of any limp mode cutting power to unrelated components. That is definitely not a programmed safety measure. This just screams short.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:57 AM

Thanks for all the insight guys, really helps rule out a few ideas I had, I'm heading to the audio shop now so we shall see if they can detect anything
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:31 PM

The same thing happened to my brothers evo last year when I was driving it home. Electronics started cutting in and out and the RPM's would fluctuate down low. I barely got it to the house. It ended up being the ALTERNATOR. I removed it, cleaned up all the junk, through her back in and it has been going strong ever since. Hope that helps bro.