Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird Noise from back seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Noise from back seat

Hi all,
Sorry if this problem has been posted before I have looked every where but have not found an answer.

Heres a brain teaser for you. this is my first post and I own a JDM Evo 7 with 99XXXX Km on it. After driving the car for about 10 minutes, every time I turn the steering wheel right (weather it be a hard right or even a little right) A noise generates from what I believe is the rear of the car. It sounds like a dull knocking / clunking sound. This sound will remain until I straighten the steering wheel again. To really generate this sound I have to be in second gear and turn right at about 25 - 30km/h. I have had changed the rear diff oil and T-case with OEM Diaqueen 2 days ago and the noise is still there. when changing the oil... the diff oil came out yellow ish however the T-Case came out a bit darker (brown) with silver flakes through it, almost like specks of glitter. within the last 4 weeks I have replaced the two front wheel bearings, Front brake rotors, front brake pads, serviced the steering rack and had a general engine service, Within the last 6 months I have had the timing belt/balancer belt/water pump changed. The noise only occurs when the car is warmed up (oils thinned out?) I am thinking along it may be the LSD plates in the rear diff or the spider gears. The sound is even now appearing on the freeway when travelling 100km/h. It only seems to happen when I am on throttle. Doesn't occur in neutral.
Any help will be appreciated
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

I think you will find that you have broken your divider between the diff fluid and the ayc fluid. The sound you can hear is the ayc clutch pack binding up together.
When the oils mix they don't work very well.

Mine started out that way after a launch after many kms later it sometimes dose it in a straight line.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:27 AM

Fair call...how would I fix this?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

First make sure that it is from the rear diff as you have to replace it and thats expensive especially if you find that it is not it.

Try and get a video of the sound before u rip it out