Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

10 year Evo anniversary - post if you've had your Evo for 10 years

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 year Evo anniversary - post if you've had your Evo for 10 years

So I just celebrated 10 years with my Evo. I was wondering how many others also have had theirs for 10 years? Any good stories? Things you regret doing/not doing?

I've got over 100k on mine. I'm so glad I've driven her all these years, she's brought me lots of smiles. She's mostly stock, and has been a fantastic car. She's got bumps and bruises that I haven't bothered to fix yet, since at this point I still consider them "character marks" like hail damage, paint chips from rocks, etc. I've been cross country with her a few times (Michigan, Texas, Florida, New Mexico, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Arizona, California) and I just love driving her on the long trips. The aftermarket cruise control helps. I've driven her through dust storms in Texas, blizzards in Colorado and Oklahoma, hail storms in Louisiana, and lots and lots of nice days. I've never owned a car this long.

So I was just wondering how many others have also had a great 10-year history with their Evos?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
An original owner 03 8. Now THATS rare.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Mine is an '03 but I didn't get it until January '04 so I can't claim 10 years yet.

I came from the DSM world, had a 1992 Plymouth Laser turbo AWD. I about wore out a set of tools keeping that thing running. One day I was showing my wife the Evo on the Mitsubishi site and she said, "Couldn't we have three cars?" She loved hot cars. A couple of weeks later my wife's heart stopped and she was gone.

After the funeral and all of the relatives had gone home, one of the guys at work invited me to go to the car show in Omaha. I was thinking this is my chance to see an Evo for real. But, instead, I had to work. It turned out there wasn't an Evo at the show anyway.

I found myself looking at the Mitsubishi web site again and there was a phone number lookup for the nearest dealer. I called. The man I spoke with said, "Come and you can drive it." I did and I did and the car was telepathic in the way it handled. A week later I was back with cash in hand. They already had the paperwork made out with my name on it. This guy knew he had a sale.

In 9.5 years of ownership the car has needed a windshield, two batteries, brakes and lots and lots of tires. I backed into a no parking sign and dinged a quarter panel - fixed this with some putty and a rattle can. The car had the p0300 problem which was quite a mystery to me when it started and it sometimes has a vibration in 5th gear.

I too have a cruise control. The Recaro seats and cruise make this a real highway cruiser. I've been run off of the interstate two times and the cars handles the weeds like it was still on pavement. I figure it saved me from being killed or at least seriously injured. So, I can't think of any reason to trade.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 14, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by barneyb
Mine is an '03 but I didn't get it until January '04 so I can't claim 10 years yet.

I came from the DSM world, had a 1992 Plymouth Laser turbo AWD. I about wore out a set of tools keeping that thing running. One day I was showing my wife the Evo on the Mitsubishi site and she said, "Couldn't we have three cars?" She loved hot cars. A couple of weeks later my wife's heart stopped and she was gone.

After the funeral and all of the relatives had gone home, one of the guys at work invited me to go to the car show in Omaha. I was thinking this is my chance to see an Evo for real. But, instead, I had to work. It turned out there wasn't an Evo at the show anyway.

I found myself looking at the Mitsubishi web site again and there was a phone number lookup for the nearest dealer. I called. The man I spoke with said, "Come and you can drive it." I did and I did and the car was telepathic in the way it handled. A week later I was back with cash in hand. They already had the paperwork made out with my name on it. This guy knew he had a sale.

In 9.5 years of ownership the car has needed a windshield, two batteries, brakes and lots and lots of tires. I backed into a no parking sign and dinged a quarter panel - fixed this with some putty and a rattle can. The car had the p0300 problem which was quite a mystery to me when it started and it sometimes has a vibration in 5th gear.

I too have a cruise control. The Recaro seats and cruise make this a real highway cruiser. I've been run off of the interstate two times and the cars handles the weeds like it was still on pavement. I figure it saved me from being killed or at least seriously injured. So, I can't think of any reason to trade.
My god dude, I am really sorry about your loss. Biggest respects
Old Jun 15, 2013, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb

I got the chills reading that.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah Barney! Preach!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSGuy
I got the chills reading that.

Same!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Picked up my Evo in April of '03 while living in PA. Since then, I have lived in MA, NY, NJ. I've had three different jobs since then.

139k miles.

4th (or 5th?) set of tires.

Replaced alternator.

Replaced radiator.

3rd battery.

Did HVAC control gears repair (well worth the low back cramps from being under the dash).

Planning on replacing a/c compressor on Monday.

Original clutch.

Saved my *** numerous times from crappy drivers in crappy cars using bad judgement on the road.

Good car.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by autobonevo
same!
x3
Old Jun 15, 2013, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutionIX219
My god dude, I am really sorry about your loss. Biggest respects
It was not my intention to upset anyone but that is the way it was, that's what got me interested in the Evo, the memory of my deceased wife drooling over that car. She was a childhood diabetic and had had a heart condition for a long time. So, it was sad but no surprise. She outlived her younger sister, also a diabetic, by 10 years. The medical people are always just a year or two away from finding a cure but nothing happens.

With the Evo, I dated another women who lived 400 miles away. I used to tell her that each time I picked her up it was costing me $1000. I have no idea if that was true. Anyway, we are married so I have someone else to run my life.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I notice that the long term evo owners are the guys that keep them fairly stock.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:05 PM

10 years with the same car!! i couldnt imagine doing that lol

congrats man they are great cars!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bought mine Aug 26 2003 brand new.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bought my new '03 in May '04 and has 74k miles, got 11 more months on the 10 year mark.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jameelrose
I notice that the long term evo owners are the guys that keep them fairly stock.
I think that's because most of us "long term" guys bought the car because we loved that car, and remember it's legendary runs from the 90's. Plenty of people are on here buying them because it's a great platform, but they're just using the car as a tool. Nothing wrong with that... it just isn't why I own the car.

Quick Reply: 10 year Evo anniversary - post if you've had your Evo for 10 years