Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking for some input

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first evo, looking for some input

What's up evo m. I just bought my first evo about a week ago. I shopped around and I found a 2005 tb gsr with 8300 miles on it. This thing is the real deal. It is the cleanest evo I've ever seen. It still has the new car smell and the engine bay is flawless you could eat off this thing. The underbody coating is still gooey. And I've never seen one with such low miles. It has been worked on by 1 shop and tuned by Sean Ivey at iveytune. The mods as are listed:
Gt35r kit w/ custom tubular manifold & vband
1000cc injectors
Walboro 255
Comp 280/280 cams
Full custom 3 inch exhaust
Hks bov
Tial ewg
Act xtreme clutch
Cusco carbon fiber strut brace
And last but not least this thing has aem ems on it. That was the only iffy thing about the car but I can't complain for the price I got it for. I'm just looking for some general advice on things I should look out for / due being that this is a little bit more car than I was originally intending on buying. So I'm going to put gauges in my a pillar since it has ems and I'm locked out of datalogging and I'm terrified something could be off and I wouldn't know about it. I'm gonna do valve springs and retainers since its cammed. And replace all the cheap intercooler clamps and throw a catch can in too, eventually change out the intercooler for a bigger one. Any thoughts on other things I should look into. Theirs something thingsI found that wasn't mentioned in the sale like the hks idle controller. I know with the ems this is a mafless application so i do need to build an airbox (has k&n cone filter intake) So I'm wondering if there are any other things that could be on this car that I wouldn't immediately notice. Also some supporting mods that would compliment this cars current build to make it the most reliable it can be. I plan to do things like water/meth injection since I have the ems. But that's further down the line so for right now I'm not trying to go for more power nessesarily. I just wanna do this evo right.

Last edited by evosnstuff; Jun 14, 2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add stuff it sounded dumb
Old Jun 14, 2013, 06:18 PM

Sorry car has arp head studs also lol can't forget that one
Old Jun 15, 2013, 06:27 AM

Congrats! I totally missed the question though. Unless it was you asking us to guess what mods it has... Lol and that's just well... Lol.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey m8, welcome.

Congrats on that car! Amazing to find one with such low mileage.

Before doing anything, I would ask yourself what YOU want from the car. I mean, if it's making the kind of power you want, and has the features you want, no reason to change it... although I see your point about supporting mods. Might be worth talking to the Ivey guys about the car too.

If it's more car than you wanted (as you suggested), then consider returning it to stock form, or a more reasonable tune level for your tastes. There's definitely something to be said for both a tastefully modified (not that yours isn't), or having a car that's got mileage that low, and is stock, or very close to it.

Other than that, just enjoy the ride. Learn how to test for boost leaks, and you'll be fine!

PS: If you need a twin A-pillar, I've got one for sale WITH a stock a pillar that's drilled, so you don't have to ruin yours.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by c0ke
Congrats! I totally missed the question though. Unless it was you asking us to guess what mods it has... Lol and that's just well... Lol.
It's not so much that I'm asking you to guess what mods it has. I'm just trying to figure out if theres any other surprises that would be coming along with the ems being that I probably have to convert back to the stock ecu to get thru inspection. Which with what research i have done it seems like i have some resoldering to do and a few stock sensors to buy
Old Jun 15, 2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Hey m8, welcome.

Congrats on that car! Amazing to find one with such low mileage.

Before doing anything, I would ask yourself what YOU want from the car. I mean, if it's making the kind of power you want, and has the features you want, no reason to change it... although I see your point about supporting mods. Might be worth talking to the Ivey guys about the car too.

If it's more car than you wanted (as you suggested), then consider returning it to stock form, or a more reasonable tune level for your tastes. There's definitely something to be said for both a tastefully modified (not that yours isn't), or having a car that's got mileage that low, and is stock, or very close to it.

Other than that, just enjoy the ride. Learn how to test for boost leaks, and you'll be fine!

PS: If you need a twin A-pillar, I've got one for sale WITH a stock a pillar that's drilled, so you don't have to ruin yours.
Yea I'm happy with the power it makes right now. I'm just wondering if its ok that it has cams without a built valve train. Other than that I just want this thing to sustain itself well for the summer . After that ill start with some heavier modification and start tearing into her. And thanks for the offer on the a pillar but I'm gonna buy a triple otherwise i definitely woulda taken yours.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:14 PM

If you don't mind me asking what did you purchase this car for ? And it seems great from the way you described it !
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:20 PM

I found it on this forum actually. In nj. The post may still be in the fs forum
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Skidonner90
If you don't mind me asking what did you purchase this car for ? And it seems great from the way you described it !
Payed 22 for it. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=643885
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, I miss the day when my car was that new. Now I'm pushing 75,000 miles. Congrats on the purchase.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evosnstuff
.... I probably have to convert back to the stock ecu to get thru inspection....
Can you get it through inspection with the 35R and the header?

Last edited by sparky; Jun 16, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by sparky
Can you get it through inspection with the 35R and the header?
yea my state doesn't check emissions just obd2. And being that I have ems and no maf sensor it's means a little bit of work. Hopefully my stock ecu is still behind the glove box cause I didn't get any stock parts with the car
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Thore
Ah, I miss the day when my car was that new. Now I'm pushing 75,000 miles. Congrats on the purchase.
Thanks man. I love it
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

If I were you, I would call or drive over to iveytune and ask them about the car. They are all very helpful and will tell you what they know about it.

Congrats on the purchase!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:34 PM

hey do you need a ny state inspection or nj inspection? is your engine light currently on? let me know i could possiblely help you out bud!

Quick Reply: Looking for some input