Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Three ACD lights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look for a used pump. They pop up pretty regularly in the FS section. It's a much cheaper fix, but you run the risk of it happening again. A rebuild kit from ACD tuning is another very reasonable option.

I went with a used pump but in hind site I would have gone with the rebuild kit.

-Mike
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prowakeskater
check your big fuses on your positive battery terminal. One is blown, guaranteed. Fix that fuse and turn your key on to listen for the ACD priming. If you dont hear that, your lights will illuminate again and again. Its an electrical, not mechanical problem.
Both fuses are ok?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:57 PM

Your pump is failing. Your symptoms are identical to what so many of us have experienced when the weather turns from cold to hot. The pump is not able to hold pressure anymore as the ATF fluid it uses thins out more in the warm weather.

Rebuilding the pump is probably your best bet, but if you don't want to go down that road, a used pump can be picked up here on a pretty regular basis.

The actual replacement of the pump is pretty straight forward. Having the appropriately sized flare wrench is a good thing to have because you don't want to strip the nuts holding the lines on the pump.

Bleeding is pretty simple as well. I seem to remember following a how-to from this site for the removal/reinstall and bleeding process.

-Mike
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 19DB794
The ACD wouldnt have anything to do with tires locking up. That would be the ABS.
If i were you I would check out what the other members posted. You can drive it around with the 3 lights on but luckily when that happened to me mine was replaced under warranty and I couldnt stand knowing my ACD pump was junk. If you decide to run it the way it is, once the cooler weather comes and if the 3 lights go away and it operates as it normally should thats a tell tale sign that the pump is going bad and can no longer hold pressure when the fluid is hotter and thinner. If I remember correctly, when I had my pump replaced it cost ~1800 for a new pump and labor at the Mitsubishi dealership. As posted before you can have the pump rebuilt for $600 but you will have to do the labor and bleed the system yourself but its definitely a great alternative to buying a new pump.
You disconnect the abs under wheel well and tell me happens. Not saying that is the definitive answer, but you can't tell him to completely rule it out. I experienced twice. I didn't just pull it out of a hat.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by son of krypton
You disconnect the abs under wheel well and tell me happens. Not saying that is the definitive answer, but you can't tell him to completely rule it out. I experienced twice. I didn't just pull it out of a hat.
I must have missed your post. I thought the op thought the wheels would lock up if the ACD lights were on. Sorry about that. But yes to the op your pump is junk and your best bet is to have it rebuilt rather than use another used one. Especially if you drive your evo in the winter as the salt probably slowly shorten the life of the pump. I would also seal off any gaps with silicone if you have it rebuilt and drive your evo in the winter.

Last edited by 19DB794; Jun 17, 2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

This is just making no sense I get what u guys are saying about the warm weather but I don't get y it wouldn't happen every time? For example I just left work and all 3 were on got to the store and turned the car off left after 15 min and driving the lights were on. At the next light I turned the car off and on and for the remainder of my 10min drive home only the Tarmac light was lit?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:00 PM

It's going to get progressively worse. Mine popped up out of the blue on the first hot day in the spring last year or the year before. I turned off the car, turned it back on, and the problem was gone for a while. It cooled down for a few weeks, the problem never came back. As soon as the weather was 80+ again, there it was. It would be intermittent but it slowly turned into the lights being on full time. Your just at the early stages of what I and many others have gone through.

-Mike
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msemaniuk
It's going to get progressively worse. Mine popped up out of the blue on the first hot day in the spring last year or the year before. I turned off the car, turned it back on, and the problem was gone for a while. It cooled down for a few weeks, the problem never came back. As soon as the weather was 80+ again, there it was. It would be intermittent but it slowly turned into the lights being on full time. Your just at the early stages of what I and many others have gone through.

-Mike
X2 the pump is going to slowly stop holding pressure.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

when i had this issue with my IX MR, it was a bad ABS wheel speed sensor on the front right wheel. come to find out it was because the wire was separated. i had a shop silver solder it and wrap it and now my ACD lights stay normal. it might not even be the pump so look it over before dumping money. but if it is a bad abs sensor straight up, then they're ~$200.

Last edited by Werdna06; Jun 22, 2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: more information
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Werdna06
when i had this issue with my IX MR, it was a bad ABS wheel speed sensor on the front right wheel. come to find out it was because the wire was separated. i had a shop silver solder it and wrap it and now my ACD lights stay normal. it might not even be the pump so look it over before dumping money. but if it is a bad abs sensor straight up, then they're ~$200.
I just don't get how abs effects this ha... And how can I test the abs because I cannot get it to activate and I can't lock the wheels I have tried 3 times from good speeds to lock them up after reading so thing like this on here and I can't get either
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:18 PM

Hi everybody,

I just get evo 7 with the same problem.
As i check your posts it simes that problem is in pump!?
What else can flash these three lights? Maybe someone has other experience?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ereklep
Hi everybody,

I just get evo 7 with the same problem.
As i check your posts it simes that problem is in pump!?
What else can flash these three lights? Maybe someone has other experience?
It's the pump. Read this thread : https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-acd-pump.html

Similar experience to mine on the Evo IX on page 3 - all lights on and pump corrosion caused ACD lights!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 282 Likes on 216 Posts
you can check the pump yourself... it is very simple..

when you get 3 lights, stop the car, turn off the engine. Preferably you should do this in a quiet space.. like your garage..

Floor the accelerator and keep it there.

Turn on the ignition.

The pump should start after a few seconds.

If the pump is OK then you should be able to clearly hear that the pump is slowing down, and after between 3-6 secs it should stop.

If the pump is corroded and not producing the pressure, the motor will just work at constant RPM and then stop when the ECU figures out that it is still not producing the pressure...
Old Sep 2, 2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Activ8
It's the pump. Read this thread : https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-acd-pump.html

Similar experience to mine on the Evo IX on page 3 - all lights on and pump corrosion caused ACD lights!
thanks man nice work!

i dont understand one thing, why it works in cold weather and not in hot? what is the reason?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Think about it. The fluid thins out from the heat. The pump can't hold the pressure since the corrosion swells the unit.

Quick Reply: Three ACD lights