Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Three ACD lights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Three ACD lights

My car was recently in the shop. I just got it back after about a month and now every few times I drive my car the ACD lights will be lit up. If I turn the car off and back on they go out. This never happened before my car was in the shop is there any way this is causing any damage? Or affecting my tune in any way? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What was the car in the shop for? I'm assuming the pump is going bad especially if it just started to happen in warmer weather. You can always get the code pulled at Mitsubishi.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aww man sounds the the acd pumps going hope not!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

ACD is pretty much worthless for daily driving. It wont affect the cars safety or driveablity.
Contrary to popular belief, the ACD modes in the Evo DO NOT change the torque distribution to the wheels.

The only thing the ACD modes alter is how long the ACD will delay in freeing the center differential after a steering input is made. It'll also determine how much locking force the ACD exhibits on the clutch pack and center differential.

If you are really worried, you can get the ACD rebuilt and cleaned out for about $600.
http://www.acd-tuning.com/
Old Jun 15, 2013, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen the lights all go up when there is a an electrical issue
Old Jun 15, 2013, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I was rear ended so it was in the shop for that. And I had some welding done on my driver quarter panel. Why would the pump go bad? Not like I even use it. And does it truly matter or can I just drive around with the lights on. I was told also it might just need to be bled?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 09:34 PM

Actually im at the exactly same situation as you, but mine started occurring after someone worked on my car for the wheel alignments under the car.

So going to take my car in to get checked. I think its electrical and not the pump
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by polish_pounder
I was rear ended so it was in the shop for that. And I had some welding done on my driver quarter panel. Why would the pump go bad? Not like I even use it. And does it truly matter or can I just drive around with the lights on. I was told also it might just need to be bled?
Some welding done on driver quarter panel? Could be that your ABS might be hanging on between connected and disconnected. ABS connection right above your tire, in the fender wells.

I had a different problem during autox when I would brake so hard the front end squatted forward, having the tire literally rip the ABS connection off due to no wheel well liner. All three ACD lights lit up. Try doing some hard braking when all ACD lights are on, and see if the wheels lock up. If so, ABS has been disconnected. Welding could have easily burned through the ABS wires, maybe causing the circuit to close and open at certain times. I had to reconnect and raise ride height. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Check.
Your.
Electrical.
System.

Mitsu's are finicky when it comes to electrical components.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Check.
Your.
Electrical.
System.

Mitsu's are finicky when it comes to electrical components.
But what do I check that's my problem ha I don't know we're to start
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

It may just be a coincidence, but inspect the pump. View it from under the hood on the driver side to see if anything is broken. You can also get the ecu read, but the code will most likely say faulty pump.

You can drive around with all 3 lights are on. When all 3 lights are illuminated the pump is inactive. Basically, it is like driving a 2003-2004 evo which do not have the ACD system.

You have a couple options...
-Buy a new pump (about $2,000)
-Contact acd-tuning.com and get a rebuilt pump...I have dealt with them before and Matthew is awesome
-Ignore it and just disconnect the ACD ECU. The harness is behind the glovebox and once disconnected will remove all the ACD lights.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

So I just had the lights on again after starting my car so got up to about 40mph and hard breaked and the tires did not lock up?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

check your big fuses on your positive battery terminal. One is blown, guaranteed. Fix that fuse and turn your key on to listen for the ACD priming. If you dont hear that, your lights will illuminate again and again. Its an electrical, not mechanical problem.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pounder
So I just had the lights on again after starting my car so got up to about 40mph and hard breaked and the tires did not lock up?
The ACD wouldnt have anything to do with tires locking up. That would be the ABS.
If i were you I would check out what the other members posted. You can drive it around with the 3 lights on but luckily when that happened to me mine was replaced under warranty and I couldnt stand knowing my ACD pump was junk. If you decide to run it the way it is, once the cooler weather comes and if the 3 lights go away and it operates as it normally should thats a tell tale sign that the pump is going bad and can no longer hold pressure when the fluid is hotter and thinner. If I remember correctly, when I had my pump replaced it cost ~1800 for a new pump and labor at the Mitsubishi dealership. As posted before you can have the pump rebuilt for $600 but you will have to do the labor and bleed the system yourself but its definitely a great alternative to buying a new pump.

Last edited by 19DB794; Jun 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have 6-1500$ for a pump that is of no use in reallity that's all I Donno I guess ill checks he fuses

Quick Reply: Three ACD lights