Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust options...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust options...

Hey guys, so I've got a full 3" stainless steel exhaust right to the outlet + test pipe and it's quite loud. Rules and cops in NZ are really fussy about exhaust noise so I'm deciding to put a resonator in since the only thing keeping it quiet is the muffler. I've got 3 resonator options that I can do:

1) Get a 17" (length) mild steel with stainless steel packing inside (3")

2) Get a 11" stainless steel resonator (3")
or
3) x2 11" stainless steel. ^

option 1 would most likely make it quiet but I'm worried about the rust issues I've heard with mild steel and it wouldn't look to great with a full stainless steel exhaust. Option 2 might be too short to deal with the noise? and option 3 I don't really feel like buying two resonators...
Note that my car's current volume is 100db at 4800rpm and it needs to be 92 to 95db.
Which would be the best choice out of the 3? Kinda need to know ASAP if possible!

Thanks guys in advance for any help!

p.s. I'll leave links to the two resonators if you need more information on them.

Mild
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-605251635.htm

Stainless
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-605954437.htm

Note: This is the only vendor that sells these types of resonators in NZ. (as far as I know)
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The resonators will not make the car quieter, but they will make the tone deeper and not seem as loud. Look into the Varex mufflers to make the car quiet.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
The resonators will not make the car quieter, but they will make the tone deeper and not seem as loud. Look into the Varex mufflers to make the car quiet.
yeah, but either way it should decrease his db to an appropriate amount. I've had no trouble with magnaflow. My current exhaust just has a resonator and no muffler w/ a test pipe and it's insanely loud. Going to put on a magnaflow 3" muffler (looks stock because I don't like cop harassment either) and from the works, people say it's a lot quieter.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by VWJETTY
yeah, but either way it should decrease his db to an appropriate amount. I've had no trouble with magnaflow. My current exhaust just has a resonator and no muffler w/ a test pipe and it's insanely loud. Going to put on a magnaflow 3" muffler (looks stock because I don't like cop harassment either) and from the works, people say it's a lot quieter.
Hey guys thanks for the replies. Just really need to know what the best option is for the 3 I've stated. We're really limited by the brands we use here so I don't think magnaflow is an option since I would have to order that online and I need to deal with this ASAP. Thanks again
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it were me I would get the longest resonator instead of 2. But that won't guarantee it'll pass sound. Nothing is guaranteed plus the noise factor is person dependent.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

This whole sound this is bull****. Harleys can have the most annoying exhaust ever and thats ok but god forbid my car is louder than a prius or I want to change my exhaust on my gsxr