Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Suppose a thief switches out your ECU with a stock one

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A switch that shorts the fuel pump to ground so that if power is applied the duse fuse will blow. Even if your switch is discovered they will have to replace the fuse.

Trigger this switch as a latched output from your alarm. If you have a more advanced alarm you can have this output activated by by arming the alarm but not deactivated by disarming the alarm. Deactivation will occur by triggering one of your aux channels via your remote. Even if they get a hold of your key and remote the vehicle is still disabled. Layers are key. I don't subscribe to that whole if they want it they will take it. Thats BS

Also im a huge fan of cliffords intelliguard alarms. The blackjax and proximity are great features.

Last edited by jameelrose; Jul 4, 2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt any theif would switch out my perfectly good aem series 2 with a stock one lol.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

If they want it they will get it period.Any thief likes a easy target and some of them are as follows:
1) No alarms or security protection.
2) Your car is parked in the open at nights.
3) Going to big events or the mall where there are lot of cars and a big open parking lot.
4) If you do have security features keep them to your self dont tell every one what you have.
5) Going to Meets and showing off whats under the hood.
6) Lending out your precious EVO to your friends.

Preventative measures you can take:
1a) Get a alarm and put the alarm LED somewhere that is very visible from outside the car.
1b) Make sure the alarm have shock sensor so if someone bounce it the horn\siren will go off.
2a) Its good to relocate your battery in the trunk because a thief can go underneath your EVO and cut your battery cable and there you go alarm disabled.
2b) Run your battery power cable with a black sleeve over it just like the rest of OEM wires so its harder for a thief to find it.
3a) If you have a garage use it! don't be lazy and leave your EVO out side you might come out and find it gone the next day.
3b) A gated community is great to have because a thief will trail you and see whats your time schedule and pick a time thats convenient for him.
4a) Dont go around telling everyone what type of alarm/security features you have because they all have there weakness and a thief knows where to find it.
4b) Do not go to meets and pop your hood open and give everyone a detailed description of whats under it because you will surely spark a thief interest and he will stop at nothing to get your EVO +$ investments.
5a) Do not lend out your EVO to a friend they might have malicious intent and could find a way to disable your alarm for easy access with out you noticing.
5b) Buy yourself a Ravelco Anti-Theft Device.It can work in conjunction with your current alarm and each one is not made in the same sequence so its almost impossible to replicate and they have been around since the 70s with not a single defeat to this day.They go for $65 on eBay and is worth every penny,here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RAVELCO-Car-Anti-Theft-Device-Security-Bypass-w-instructions-Antitheft-club-/230996092076?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c870a4ac&vxp=mtr6) Last but not least,fear the flatbed thats the only thing you cannot stop and did I say its legal for them to carry cars so no one will ever pay attention to a tow truck carrying a EVO unless you notice its......yours!

Last edited by studioface; Jul 4, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 02:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
If you can't move it, you can't take it.

Wheel boot > *
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thug zapper.. The key is layers of security.
Attached Thumbnails Suppose a thief switches out your ECU with a stock one-image.jpg  
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

You guys are sweating it way too much. I love my car just as much as the next person, but it is still just a car. Remember that big bill we pay every month called insurance?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

I would sweat it way more if my car gets ripped off and I knew I didnt do all i could do to prevent it from happening.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

A kill switch will stop 90% of the punks out there. It's the last 10% that you have to guard against. For that park in safe areas and know the neighborhoods your going into.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutionIX219
You guys are sweating it way too much. I love my car just as much as the next person, but it is still just a car. Remember that big bill we pay every month called insurance?
What kind of insurance do you have? I need to check them out! If they not only cover your evo but also the 15k plus in mods too, then I can agree with you.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
What kind of insurance do you have? I need to check them out! If they not only cover your evo but also the 15k plus in mods too, then I can agree with you.
Well maybe investing that 15k into a garage would of been a wiser choice. Or better yet, a house that is located in a nicer neighborhood, where the crime rates are lower. My German Shepard, my Glock 23, a spot light and a camera outside of my house are all the security my family and my car needs. Not trying to sound like a dick, just trying to give a little advice. It seems when you worry about something too much, negative things tend to happen. Someone posted earlier in this thread that if a thief really wants your car, they are going to have it, and they are 110% correct. A secure garage or a nicer neighborhood will decrease the chances of your car being stolen a lot more than wasting your money installing a few anti theft gadgets.

Last edited by EvolutionIX219; Jul 4, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutionIX219
Well maybe investing that 15k into a garage would of been a wiser choice. Or better yet, a house that is located in a nicer neighborhood, where the crime rates are lower. My German Shepard, my Glock 23, a spot light and a camera outside of my house are all the security my family and my car needs. Not trying to sound like a dick, just trying to give a little advice. It seems when you worry about something too much, negative things tend to happen. Someone posted earlier in this thread that if a thief really wants your car, they are going to have it, and they are 110% correct. A secure garage or a nicer neighborhood will decrease the chances of your car being stolen a lot more than wasting your money installing a few anti theft gadgets.
No one said I didn't have a garage or an alarm, you completely missed the entire point of what I said. You don't sound like a dick, you just sound like your very over opinionated and quick run off on anything to get your own point across with an extreme lack of comprehension.

It would make more sense if this was an open statement to the thread and to everyone asking, but you quoted me.

This is why some of us barely post
Old Jul 4, 2013, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Migsubishi;10873191]No one said I didn't have a garage or an alarm, you completely missed the entire point of what I said. You don't sound like a dick, you just sound like your very over opinionated and quick run off on anything to get your own point across with an extreme lack of comprehension.

It would make more sense if this was an open statement to the thread and to everyone asking, but you quoted me.

This is why some of us barely post [/QUOT

I did quote you but I wasn't just directing it to you. I grew up in Baltimore City, not only is the crime rate super high but it is not uncommon to wake up in the morning, walk outside, and notice your vehicle is missing. Thankfully, I had my priorities straight and instead of buying a fancy car, I decided to save up for a house and get the hell out of that ****hole. It just makes me chuckle a little bit, when I see post after post on this forum about cars being stolen , from people living in high crime areas like Chicago, for example. They tend to blame it on some "underground evo chop shop gang" that scope the forums and run license plates, when in reality, its just the fact that they live in ghetto with crackheads and thug punks. Instead of wasting your money on car alarms and going through the trouble of unhooking a bunch of wires every time you park your vehicle, it may be time to find a new place to call home. I can't even remember the last time I locked my car, and most of the time I leave the car running when I have something to pick up at the store. I don't even know why I am rambling on about this, but the point I am trying to make is that if you have to worry about your car being stolen, it is time to find a new place to live. If you decide to live in the ghetto, and you drive an evo, expect it to be stolen.

Like I said, I am not necessarily directing this towards you, I am just responding to your post, and giving in my 2 cents.

Last edited by EvolutionIX219; Jul 4, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

I used to know unscrupulous people and they would look in areas like the one you describe to commit crimes because of there false sense of security.

I live in Mayberry and i'm still vigilant.

jusayin
Old Jul 5, 2013, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

In NJ news a woman whom lives in a very very nice area. Home was invaded she was beat down badly and robbed all caught on cam. Might of made national news. Obviously statistics show less crime in nicer nieghborhoods but nothing is guaranteed. False sense of security is when your most vulnerable and you're possesions are at risk.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Smart thieves dont rob other people in the hood....they are broke just like them......they go to nice areas to rob people, because they leave their doors open and think nothing will happen in the their nice area.

Quick Reply: Suppose a thief switches out your ECU with a stock one