Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Suppose a thief switches out your ECU with a stock one

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
add a tilt sensor too so your alarm will go off if it senses your car being... tilted
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutionIX219
I did quote you but I wasn't just directing it to you. I grew up in Baltimore City, not only is the crime rate super high but it is not uncommon to wake up in the morning, walk outside, and notice your vehicle is missing. Thankfully, I had my priorities straight and instead of buying a fancy car, I decided to save up for a house and get the hell out of that ****hole. It just makes me chuckle a little bit, when I see post after post on this forum about cars being stolen , from people living in high crime areas like Chicago, for example. They tend to blame it on some "underground evo chop shop gang" that scope the forums and run license plates, when in reality, its just the fact that they live in ghetto with crackheads and thug punks. Instead of wasting your money on car alarms and going through the trouble of unhooking a bunch of wires every time you park your vehicle, it may be time to find a new place to call home. I can't even remember the last time I locked my car, and most of the time I leave the car running when I have something to pick up at the store. I don't even know why I am rambling on about this, but the point I am trying to make is that if you have to worry about your car being stolen, it is time to find a new place to live. If you decide to live in the ghetto, and you drive an evo, expect it to be stolen.

Like I said, I am not necessarily directing this towards you, I am just responding to your post, and giving in my 2 cents.
I own a condo in a highrise sharing a garage with cars such as this

and

and share the same address with current members of the nba and nfl. It's certainly not the ****hole you make it out to be, but thats besides the point, and certainly not the topic of this thread.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

That ferrari is filthy. Ive been to chicago many times, its a cool city. It has its good spots and bad spots like any other metro area. Working at mcormick is a pia, unions there are fairly rediculous in thier who does what. Carpenters can set stuff up but you need electricians to plug it in. Electricians can plug it in but cant move it you need stage hands. Worked at the cubby bear a few times, cool place, chop house is legit too. Put a sign on your car dont take my evo theres a m3 parked in 771
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

use a switch to cut ecu power. I have multiple switches in my car for different items which need power or send power to other things for the car to start. There is no way they will be able to start my galant. I completely did a wire tuck, batt relocation, and I used my wiring knowledge as an avionics tech to wire everything up. Its really not that hard from an electrical stand point to isolate the car, but use common sense where you park. I don't broadcast where I live so its good.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9evolution
That ferrari is filthy. Ive been to chicago many times, its a cool city. It has its good spots and bad spots like any other metro area. Working at mcormick is a pia, unions there are fairly rediculous in thier who does what. Carpenters can set stuff up but you need electricians to plug it in. Electricians can plug it in but cant move it you need stage hands. Worked at the cubby bear a few times, cool place, chop house is legit too. Put a sign on your car dont take my evo theres a m3 parked in 771
Eh, ****ty lighting + camera phone...its actually not that bad, and the guy actually drives his car during the summer rather than let it sit and be a garage queen. I think last I spoke to him, he's put on over 20k miles on it. There's plenty of nicer cars than these where I live, but these were the only ones of which I know the owners personally and have their permission.

Honestly, I'm not worried about where I live, but there are times where I want to drive down to say...the Cubby Bear, and have to think twice about the neighborhood. Again...this really isn't the point of this thread.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by studioface
If they want it they will get it period.Any thief likes a easy target and some of them are as follows:
1) No alarms or security protection.
2) Your car is parked in the open at nights.
3) Going to big events or the mall where there are lot of cars and a big open parking lot.
4) If you do have security features keep them to your self dont tell every one what you have.
5) Going to Meets and showing off whats under the hood.
6) Lending out your precious EVO to your friends.

Preventative measures you can take:
1a) Get a alarm and put the alarm LED somewhere that is very visible from outside the car.
1b) Make sure the alarm have shock sensor so if someone bounce it the horn\siren will go off.
2a) Its good to relocate your battery in the trunk because a thief can go underneath your EVO and cut your battery cable and there you go alarm disabled.
2b) Run your battery power cable with a black sleeve over it just like the rest of OEM wires so its harder for a thief to find it.
3a) If you have a garage use it! don't be lazy and leave your EVO out side you might come out and find it gone the next day.
3b) A gated community is great to have because a thief will trail you and see whats your time schedule and pick a time thats convenient for him.
4a) Dont go around telling everyone what type of alarm/security features you have because they all have there weakness and a thief knows where to find it.
4b) Do not go to meets and pop your hood open and give everyone a detailed description of whats under it because you will surely spark a thief interest and he will stop at nothing to get your EVO +$ investments.
5a) Do not lend out your EVO to a friend they might have malicious intent and could find a way to disable your alarm for easy access with out you noticing.
5b) Buy yourself a Ravelco Anti-Theft Device.It can work in conjunction with your current alarm and each one is not made in the same sequence so its almost impossible to replicate and they have been around since the 70s with not a single defeat to this day.They go for $65 on eBay and is worth every penny,here is the link New Ravelco Car Anti Theft Device Security Bypass w Instructions Antitheft Club | eBay
6) Last but not least,fear the flatbed thats the only thing you cannot stop and did I say its legal for them to carry cars so no one will ever pay attention to a tow truck carrying a EVO unless you notice its......yours!

http://www.ravelco.com/ebay.html

REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE SELLER IS STATING AND TELLING YOU ON THEIR eBay, AMAZON, Craigslist OR ANY INTERNET WEBSITE, THE FACTS ARE VERY CLEAR: IF YOU PURCHASE A KNOCKOFF (FAKE) RAVELCO ON ANY OF THESE ABOVE WEBSITES THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, NO SUPPORT OF ANY KIND AND YOU CANNOT GET EXTRA PLUGS FOR YOUR RAVELCO.

WHY DO YOU THINK ALL THE SELLERS STATE NO RETURNS?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by unijabnx2000
http://www.ravelco.com/ebay.html

REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE SELLER IS STATING AND TELLING YOU ON THEIR eBay, AMAZON, Craigslist OR ANY INTERNET WEBSITE, THE FACTS ARE VERY CLEAR: IF YOU PURCHASE A KNOCKOFF (FAKE) RAVELCO ON ANY OF THESE ABOVE WEBSITES THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, NO SUPPORT OF ANY KIND AND YOU CANNOT GET EXTRA PLUGS FOR YOUR RAVELCO.

WHY DO YOU THINK ALL THE SELLERS STATE NO RETURNS?
I love the will not effect your new car warranty in any way. Then they put a link to the Magnuson - Moss Act.

Go to the dealer with this on your EVO and kiss your warranty goodbye

Nobody starting my car and driving away EVER and I didn't spend 1/20th of that
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:13 PM

I don't think my area is bad but I may be a little paranoid about parking it on the curb outside me place from now on -_-
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
every time i read someone saying boot the car, I think of that old thread of the guy who moved his own booted car into his garage
Old Jul 8, 2013, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I love the will not effect your new car warranty in any way. Then they put a link to the Magnuson - Moss Act.

Go to the dealer with this on your EVO and kiss your warranty goodbye

Nobody starting my car and driving away EVER and I didn't spend 1/20th of that
You have a 03 evo why are you worried about a warrenty? hell i have a 06, and the warrenty was void within 48hrs of being off the lot!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by stpkenton
You have a 03 evo why are you worried about a warrenty? hell i have a 06, and the warrenty was void within 48hrs of being off the lot!
I'm not bought my car 8 yrs ago knowing full well there would be no warranty on it, I wouldn't let any mitsu tech within 100ft of my car anyway. I just found Ravelco site to be comical

Hack in to critical engine wiring but it'll be covered under you new vehicle warranty