Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need your guys opinion on 2.3 13:1 CR build

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your guys opinion on 2.3 13:1 CR build

Long sad story short i bought a low mile "built" 658hp evolution 9 had the car for two days lower rubber clutch lines goes out head gasket leaking externally, oil leaking from front case BUT then two days before im supposed to take it to the shop BOOM turbo seizes!!! So it makes it to the shop head gets pulled then more bad news cylinder walls are trashed so now comes time for something it didn't wanna do yet... spend more money. Will be a DD so i want peoples opinion brief over view im gonna go with 2.3 k1 crank k1 rods 13:1 CR extreme tuners pistons (potentially overpriced) e-85 6466 twin scroll, not sure if i should go with a BR stage 3 head or what but my main focus is keeping low boost and intake temperatures.Going to notch the block o-ring of course, my question what other safety measures can i take and detailed helpful feed back would be much appreciated!!!
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
extreme tuners again.......sigh.

13.1:1 pistons is not a daily driver. Hell 11:1 is kinda pushing it.

What are your goals? I'm willing to bet you can find what you need available in the good ole USA.

And sorry about the bad news. Always sucks when you buy someone else's problems.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:23 PM

i say daily driver but im sure first time i do a pull and see my gas gauge dissipate ill rethink lls...but 800+ oh no why the sigh with extreme tuners? and yes im still upset about it
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Honestly man, anything over 10.1 compression isn't fun on pump gas, I run 11.1 but with E99.

No need to run anything bigger than an HTA3586 or the slightly laggier Precision 6266. Well not unless your building an 8sec car.

Another thing, Wiseco will sell you whatever compression pistons you want that will work for under $700

I speak to you from experience, please comprehend well.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
Honestly man, anything over 10.1 compression isn't fun on pump gas, I run 11.1 but with E99.

No need to run anything bigger than an HTA3586 or the slightly laggier Precision 6266. Well not unless your building an 8sec car.

Another thing, Wiseco will sell you whatever compression pistons you want that will work for under $700

I speak to you from experience, please comprehend well.
car is on e-85 only im starting to have more and more doubts about ET only problem is i already ordered pistons
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by graphitegrey
i say daily driver but im sure first time i do a pull and see my gas gauge dissipate ill rethink lls...but 800+ oh no why the sigh with extreme tuners? and yes im still upset about it
The sigh on extreme tuners is because they created a lot of hype around vaporware and some poor kid on this site almost got taken for a ride. They don't do anything magical that hasn't been done already.

Just being different for the sake of being of different isn't always worth it. Don't get sucked into the hype. Wiseco can build you what you need. And it works just fine. There is nothing extreme tuners does that some company here hasn't already done and has the track record to prove it.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jul 6, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by graphitegrey
car is on e-85 only im starting to have more and more doubts about ET only problem is i already ordered pistons
Well take it as a lesson learned.

For a DD honestly high horsepower is extremely overrated. I speak from experience.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How fast are you trying to go? Are you just making a dyno queen car?

Theres been plenty daily driven 9 second cars built without the use of high compression pistons and what not. 13:1 compression is just pointless imo
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
The sigh on extreme tuners is because they created a lot of hype around vaporware and some poor kid on this site almost got taken for a ride. They don't do anything magical that hasn't been done already.

Just being different for the sake of being of different isn't always worth it. Don't get sucked into the hype. Wiseco can build you what you need. And it works just fine. There is nothing extreme tuners does that some company here hasn't already done and has the track record to prove it.
i was never aware of the fact wiseco will custom make a high compression piston i originally had 9:1 and we looked at wiseco high cr pistons (10:5) but there was no release date.Main reason for going high cr was to stay at low boost and make same power and have motor/turbo run cool as possible....only reason im going thru ET is because shop owner was saying how incredible there manufacturing was and charged 1400$ because there had to be custom made.I know feel like he only recommended them just to make profit =(
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
How fast are you trying to go? Are you just making a dyno queen car?

Theres been plenty daily driven 9 second cars built without the use of high compression pistons and what not. 13:1 compression is just pointless imo
800+ dyno queen tho hopefully not, i want it to stand by that number but the more and more i read on this site its becoming pointless making such power while trying to maintain driveability.I was trying to be different with mine but ive noticed like rarely anyone has gone past 11:5 for drag cars at this elevation 5600ft+ so 13:1 is pretty overkill
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Extreme tuners, has to be the shop with the biggest hype BUT with the BIGGEST let down lol. They are nothing but liars' and thief's, at least from what I've seen... They make ridiculous claims and build ridiculous parts (check out their turbos', they're unreal & impractical!).
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BEKevo
Extreme tuners, has to be the shop with the biggest hype BUT with the BIGGEST let down lol. They are nothing but liars' and thief's, at least from what I've seen... They make ridiculous claims and build ridiculous parts (check out their turbos', they're unreal & impractical!).
yea i only bought pistons luckly...there designing turbo's without the bolt in the center trying to take away rotational mass i wont be the guinea pig for that experiment lls
Old Jul 6, 2013, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Just search them on this site and you will see the one thread where they basically got ran off the board for their unsubstantiated claims. I think they have one fast STi they had a hand in building and a video fo a Evo with a sequential shifter and 11.5k rpm limit (The Evo's gear ratios are a little fishy as pointed out by Dave Buschur).

Wiseco and a few other Piston makers will custom make whatever you want.....just have to wait. I daily drive a car that has over 700 (on a DJ) and I can tell you the clutch, the constant worrying about what a noise was, the weird quirks and issues, the constant worrying about breaking something..............

SO
NOT
WORTH
IT.

High horsepower is EXTREMELY overrated. Most builds follow a trend where the car gets built and gets sold...there is a reason why someone would dump a bunch of money into a car and then decide to get rid of it. This is of course for people who are dumb enough to try and daily drive an impractical 600+ evo everyday like myself

I've been preaching my car was its most its most fun at 450ish. The problem is its almost too easy to get really big numbers out of this platform. It leads to horsepower addiction......then before you know it you went way past the point of sanity.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Just search them on this site and you will see the one thread where they basically got ran off the board for their unsubstantiated claims. I think they have one fast STi they had a hand in building and a video fo a Evo with a sequential shifter and 11.5k rpm limit (The Evo's gear ratios are a little fishy as pointed out by Dave Buschur).

Wiseco and a few other Piston makers will custom make whatever you want.....just have to wait. I daily drive a car that has over 700 (on a DJ) and I can tell you the clutch, the constant worrying about what a noise was, the weird quirks and issues, the constant worrying about breaking something..............

SO
NOT
WORTH
IT.

High horsepower is EXTREMELY overrated. Most builds follow a trend where the car gets built and gets sold...there is a reason why someone would dump a bunch of money into a car and then decide to get rid of it. This is of course for people who are dumb enough to try and daily drive an impractical 600+ evo everyday like myself

I've been preaching my car was its most its most fun at 450ish. The problem is its almost too easy to get really big numbers out of this platform. It leads to horsepower addiction......then before you know it you went way past the point of sanity.
Agree with this post X100000

Edit:
OP you said your trying to be different.... Being different is a very expensive road to go down. Stick to what is proven to work. I have seen a number of builld where people want to be "different", needless to say they usually end up the same way, broken and parted out. Thats just my advice, no hate on people wanting to try new things, but it usually doesn't turn out the way you imagine the first time around

Last edited by EvoJoeIX; Jul 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you paid with a card or PayPal I would suggest you cancel the order within the timeframe allowed from extreme tuners before it is too late and you are out 1400 bucks. Those guys are scam artists.

Quick Reply: Need your guys opinion on 2.3 13:1 CR build