Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine Vibration at 2K-2800rpms NOT balance shafts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Vibration at 2K-2800rpms NOT balance shafts

Ive done a LOT of searching and havent found anyone with the same problem. I did my 60k a while ago and ever since then I have had vibration issues between 2000rpms - 2800rpms. Its not the balance shafts, as they are removed now the vibration is worse. Car runs good, timing is lined up perfectly makes good power but from 2000-2800rpms is like a rattling noise. Does anyone know if the actual timing belt could create this? Thats the only part i changed. Car has good compression across the board 145, 140, 145 140
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt tight?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4drcivicmaster
Timing belt tight?
I dont think so.... Im also not sure... The tensioner has quite a good amount of travel. Had a local shop do the job for me.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

anyone experience this when using a gates timing belt?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:40 PM

I have a similar issue, same rpm range, all stock, but only on the highway, mainly in 5th gear, and on the pass side, most would say hey check your bearings ect ect,honestly I've ruled it down to the fact I've changed the hub assembly, but it stayed the same, I'm thinkn maybe I have a bad/ bent axle, the bearing worn right down, but I know the vibration you mean, it started the same way. Now it becomes more noticeable, don't know if that helped you at all but the vibration started the same way for me
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Seamus7
I have a similar issue, same rpm range, all stock, but only on the highway, mainly in 5th gear, and on the pass side, most would say hey check your bearings ect ect,honestly I've ruled it down to the fact I've changed the hub assembly, but it stayed the same, I'm thinkn maybe I have a bad/ bent axle, the bearing worn right down, but I know the vibration you mean, it started the same way. Now it becomes more noticeable, don't know if that helped you at all but the vibration started the same way for me
Oh man! Only thing is, mine happens regardless of what gear I'm in. It happens even in neutral and all gears.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:39 PM

I'm sure it would happen in all gears but I feel it on the highway easier, around town not so much
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gates kevlar timing belts are noticeably louder, in general or during operation, when being compared to their rubber OEM counterparts. But, i do not think this is the cause of your 'vibration' & sounds during those points in the rev range. I'd take it to the shop that performed the work... and say "wtf guy? got my t-belt done, now its making a weird sound" lol. Kevlar belts' make a "whirl" sound during the first 1,000 miles, almost as if it were too tight. But dont vibrate as bad as you mentioned.

They should address it. Its not a coincidence that this started after the 60k maintenance you had performed..

BTW running with out balance shafts are a bit noisier during engine rev's as well, when comparing an engine that has them. But again, nothing ridiculous or unbearable..
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I have similar issues, but more like between 2500-2900rpm, it caused the DP to vibrate so much that it was hitting the T-Case, put on the Torque Solutions stiffer exhaust hangers, the noise is gone, but you can feel the vibration in that RPM range.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BEKevo
Gates kevlar timing belts are noticeably louder, in general or during operation, when being compared to their rubber OEM counterparts. But, i do not think this is the cause of your 'vibration' & sounds during those points in the rev range. I'd take it to the shop that performed the work... and say "wtf guy? got my t-belt done, now its making a weird sound" lol. Kevlar belts' make a "whirl" sound during the first 1,000 miles, almost as if it were too tight. But dont vibrate as bad as you mentioned.

They should address it. Its not a coincidence that this started after the 60k maintenance you had performed..

BTW running with out balance shafts are a bit noisier during engine rev's as well, when comparing an engine that has them. But again, nothing ridiculous or unbearable..
Your definitely right. I know at one point the belt was too tight and that was fixed but I don't know if the pulleys bearings are gone, I will check that today along with the tensioner
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bbong
I have similar issues, but more like between 2500-2900rpm, it caused the DP to vibrate so much that it was hitting the T-Case, put on the Torque Solutions stiffer exhaust hangers, the noise is gone, but you can feel the vibration in that RPM range.
Do you have a gates timing belt?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRadjahoe
Do you have a gates timing belt?
Not sure, looking at the Invoice from Buschur it doesn't say what brand they put on, first I thought it was the new DC Sport DP, but whatever I did to try and silence it down there, it's still there.

What can I do to lesser the vibrations on it?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure, looking at the Invoice from Buschur it doesn't say what brand they put on, first I thought it was the new DC Sport DP, but whatever I did to try and silence it down there, it's still there.

What can I do to lesser the vibrations on it?
I have no idea... I am going to start replacing pulleys tomorrow.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRadjahoe
I have no idea... I am going to start replacing pulleys tomorrow.
Buschurs just told me that the Timing Belt is OEM and that it could be my Excedy Twin Plate that is causing this. It's annoying a little but right after I cross the 2900rpm everything is fine again.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Buschurs just told me that the Timing Belt is OEM and that it could be my Excedy Twin Plate that is causing this. It's annoying a little but right after I cross the 2900rpm everything is fine again.
oh wow! For me, ive changed my clutch, and taken out the balance shafts. I think it has to be a pulley or my tensioner...

Quick Reply: Engine Vibration at 2K-2800rpms NOT balance shafts