Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help/Advice

So I'm having headaches with my 05 VIII over the past year. Couple of issues happened in the past year and the major one being the bearings slipped from the crankshaft. So long story short, I had to go through a complete engine rebuild because of what got damaged. Now, my tensioner went again after being replaced in 09 causing the timing belt to snap, all valves are bent, and we have to pull the rods and pistons to see if they got any damage.

Wit the motor being rebuilt and tuned by Ivey, it ran great. Just shy of 330 whp and just over 350 lbtq. I think it's time to part with the car. I'm tired of repairing it and I've sunk too much money into it over the last year.

It has 169K miles on it, body and interior are in great shape for being my DD since 05. What would you suggest selling the car for? KBB value has it at $12K with the condition it's in. My mechanic thinks it's probably worth $15K with the rebuilt motor. But obviously I need to fix the issues now before it gets sold. or if I sell as is, what would it be worth?

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostIt
So I'm having headaches with my 05 VIII over the past year. Couple of issues happened in the past year and the major one being the bearings slipped from the crankshaft. So long story short, I had to go through a complete engine rebuild because of what got damaged. Now, my tensioner went again after being replaced in 09 causing the timing belt to snap, all valves are bent, and we have to pull the rods and pistons to see if they got any damage.

Wit the motor being rebuilt and tuned by Ivey, it ran great. Just shy of 330 whp and just over 350 lbtq. I think it's time to part with the car. I'm tired of repairing it and I've sunk too much money into it over the last year.

It has 169K miles on it, body and interior are in great shape for being my DD since 05. What would you suggest selling the car for? KBB value has it at $12K with the condition it's in. My mechanic thinks it's probably worth $15K with the rebuilt motor. But obviously I need to fix the issues now before it gets sold. or if I sell as is, what would it be worth?

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?
If you have the receipts for your new engine and it runs good I don't see why you can't get 14-15K, the problem is if you sell it as is people are going to probably expect a real low price as they would need an engine or spend some $$$ for a good re build.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would def show receipts of what was done. I'm not trying to screw anyone over but I've just been dumping so much money into it this year that I think it's just time to part with it. Especially since it's a DD. Hate to let it go but I don't have the money to do what I really want to do to it and get another car to DD. So off I go.