Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help for a boyfriend's evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Cause a suprise is always nice^^^^^^^
This girl is def a keeper
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBoyfriendsEvo
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I would LOVE to surprise him with something for his evo ix so I thought I'd come to the people that know them best!
Originally Posted by AJCaron12
I don't get this thread... Why don't you just ask him what he wants ?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pal215's ideas and posted link are great starting points.

GL and you ROCK!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ideas

I think it is awesome what you are doing, so I came up with a couple of ideas.

1. Coil on plug is a great way to add a few horses and get better gas mileage all in one. Sparktech has a great COP along with Spoolinup they have an entry level that is good too. They are both from $400 for Spoolinup to $535 for Sparktech. I like Sparktech personally, but I hear good things from both. Spoolinup has a used set that is cheaper, but I would not want used anything when talking about electronics.

2. Upper and lower intercooler piping if he does not already have it. Buschur racing sells a good set but a lot of other companies have good ones too. It has to match his turbo and battery, but when you call they can help you.

3. A ported and coated exhaust manifold is good and at a good price. You can also do a ported intake manifold and a ported throttle body. The manifold is $195 ported and coated, the Stainless steel O2 housing is $200, the throttle body ported is $300, and the ported intake is $149. Those are prices for them to do the work if you want to get the parts done, you can pay a core charge and then when he sends his parts back in you get your money back. Any combo of those are good just make sure he doesn't have that stuff already.

4. A Buschur catback exhaust is just $470, but again make sure he doesn't already have a catback exhaust.

Some food for thought it is really hard to say without knowing what he has already. Most people just buy stuff because some guy put it on his car and made the car fast, but in reality there is a path you have to take other wise the car will not run perfect.

Goodluck and Godspeed

Last edited by Redbud23; Jul 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CN9Adaiski
This is awesome
I wish you luck!
My GF got me a Charmander plush for my car.
No power gains or faster lap times here, but its still the best present for my car that I ever got xD
Rides shotgun whenever I have no other passengers
Thats just me though

If the car is stock besides it being stanced/slammed/lowered/IDK what he really did, then maybe an exhaust mod would be the best route
Thats usually where people start when they mod their car
Thats my input
Good luck!!
AWESOME!

As a sort of part two to his present I got him a mini R/C version of his car. Lol I customized it and made it look like his for those rainy days he doesn't want to take her out of the garage
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by silverevo9
Cool chick, lucky guy...Catback exhaust if he doesn't have one. Good luck.
I'll look into them. Any suggestions where to get the best parts? Online or stores?

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
I don't get this thread... Why don't you just ask him what he wants ?
I like surprises.

Last edited by MyBoyfriendsEvo; Jul 14, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Best present? Track time at a road course with a good instructor. Would be within your budget and will keep him smiling for a very long time. That is assuming the car is able to handle an HPDE currently.

***look for NASA/SCCA/or another club renting out your local track and have them help you set it up***

Last edited by SDevo13; Jul 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Redbud23
I think it is awesome what you are doing, so I came up with a couple of ideas.

1. Coil on plug is a great way to add a few horses and get better gas mileage all in one. Sparktech has a great COP along with Spoolinup they have an entry level that is good too. They are both from $400 for Spoolinup to $535 for Sparktech. I like Sparktech personally, but I hear good things from both. Spoolinup has a used set that is cheaper, but I would not want used anything when talking about electronics.

2. Upper and lower intercooler piping if he does not already have it. Buschur racing sells a good set but a lot of other companies have good ones too. It has to match his turbo and battery, but when you call they can help you.

3. A ported and coated exhaust manifold is good and at a good price. You can also do a ported intake manifold and a ported throttle body. The manifold is $195 ported and coated, the Stainless steel O2 housing is $200, the throttle body ported is $300, and the ported intake is $149. Those are prices for them to do the work if you want to get the parts done, you can pay a core charge and then when he sends his parts back in you get your money back. Any combo of those are good just make sure he doesn't have that stuff already.

4. A Buschur catback exhaust is just $470, but again make sure he doesn't already have a catback exhaust.

Some food for thought it is really hard to say without knowing what he has already. Most people just buy stuff because some guy put it on his car and made the car fast, but in reality there is a path you have to take other wise the car will not run perfect.

Goodluck and Godspeed
Thank you so much!

From the conversation I had with him last night, it seems like he hasn't done any mods to his car besides making it aesthetically nicer.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by SDevo13
Best present? Track time at a road course with a good instructor. Would be within your budget and will keep him smiling for a very long time.
oooooh! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS YET?!

any suggestions for places in or near NY?

Last edited by MyBoyfriendsEvo; Jul 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

As everyone in the motorsport section will tell you. The best money most of us spend on our cars is learning to drive them better.

Only down side is that the track is addicting. So be forewarned
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Ballpark of where you are at in NY would help. There are quite a few tracks in the area.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:43 AM

Ballpark of where you are at in NY would help. There are quite a few tracks in the area.
the NYC area
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:44 AM

As everyone in the motorsport section will tell you. The best money most of us spend on our cars is learning to drive them better.

Only down side is that the track is addicting. So be forewarned
hahahah trust me! I wouldn't be on an evo forum looking for car parts if I didn't know he was already addicted
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Monticello (basically think country club based around a road course) may be hard to find dates where clubs are renting but good to check. I think its about 30 mins from NYC. http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/track/circuit

Here is a list of tracks I pulled off another forum.

http://www.theglen.com/Car-Club-Corr...ub-Corral.aspx - Watkins Glenn

http://www.poconoraceway.com/track_trackrental.asp - Pocono

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/tracks.html - NJMP

http://www.limerock.com/content/track-track-map - Limerock

There are probably others in the area, but I'm nowhere near so I'm left to memory and a quick google search. Maybe someone in the area can give some insight

I would also check regional NASA forums as they will have a list of dates and events that may be at tracks near you.

Last edited by SDevo13; Jul 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:52 AM

Monticello (basically think country club based around a road course) may be hard to find dates where clubs are renting but good to check. I think its about 30 mins from NYC. http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/track/circuit

Here is a list of tracks I pulled off another forum.

http://www.theglen.com/Car-Club-Corr...ub-Corral.aspx - Watkins Glenn

http://www.poconoraceway.com/track_trackrental.asp - Pocono

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/tracks.html - NJMP

http://www.limerock.com/content/track-track-map - Limerock

There are probably others in the area, but I'm nowhere near so I'm left to memory and a quick google search. Maybe someone in the area can give some insight

I would also check regional NASA forums as they will have a list of dates and events that may be at tracks near you.
This really sounds like so much fun.

Maybe he'll even let me drive! LOL

Quick Reply: Help for a boyfriend's evo