Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi Minute

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Mitsubishi Minute

i've been lurking around until i finally decided to join the board tonight. just thought i'd introduce myself to everyone tonight. i'm a car freak with a few minor mods to my car (saving for a house, so that takes priority).

anyway, i work part time at carmax mitsubishi in maryland. been following the evo8 and msrp babbling for a bit and just thought i'd give you guys some more info.

just heard from our new car sales mgr this past sunday, and here's the scoop (i've already posted something like this to the 2gnt board):

the evo 8 is coming. projected hp is 280. price is msrp. carmax has no markup (we actually eat into the dest/handling) at any of their locations. we also don't hold cars, take deposits, etc. if you're interested, contact me when they come out. if you understand that correctly, then you'll figure out that when the nissan 350z hits our white marsh dealership, there should also be no markup on that.

as far as the exact date, i can't tell you. i hear beginning of '03, but that's still up in the air. the production run will be limited initially to 6-10,000 units annually to create demand. once the evo has done its job of getting ppl interested in import performance, mitsu will introduce another intermediate version of the lancer.

this version, whatever the nomenclature, will have the 3.5l v6 currently in use on the montero sport xls, monteros, and diamantes. exact specs are unknown to me, but at least i can give you the engine. current versions of that engine are over 200hp, and 220lbs of tq.

and yes, there is a leather package available for the lancer. however, our mitsu manager doesn't get it from mitsu. we get ours from some upholstery place nearby, so they're custom packages (with the O.Z. logo). there are currently two O.Z.'s running around the b'more/dc area with our package. one is a yellow o.z. with black leather and yellow inserts, and i just sold the black one this past wknd (black w/red inserts).

and my last disclaimer for the day: i could care less what you buy, because i get paid the same no matter what. you get an objective opinion from me, and i do my fair share of reading up on everything so i don't sound like an idiot.

so...i know i'm regurgitating some stuff that's getting thrown all over the place. i don't mean to start a flame war or anything like that, but i figure that i can at least give you what i know.

buckle up and stuff.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 09:21 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Re: Mitsubishi Minute

Originally posted by 97ESi
this version, whatever the nomenclature, will have the 3.5l v6 currently in use on the montero sport xls, monteros, and diamantes. exact specs are unknown to me, but at least i can give you the engine. current versions of that engine are over 200hp, and 220lbs of tq.
Isn't that engine a little too big for the little 'ole Lancer?
Old Jul 30, 2002, 09:28 AM

mitsu minute cont.

heh, have you seen all the extra space in the lancer's engine bay? it always looked empty to me. news of the 3.5 just confirms it. i had heard rumors of the v6, but i was pretty shocked to hear it was going to be THAT v6.

i've also heard a six spd, but that wasn't officially from the mgr. hope i'm not fanning the speculative fire.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

Great post thnx for the good news.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:35 AM

There is NO WAY they are going to put a V6 in an Evolution (Lancer maybe). It just doesn't work that way. The Evo model always follows a particular pattern, with its own unique style. It's hard to imagine and Evo will get this engine, but since the Cedia is coming out soon I guess it could incorporate the V6 engine. Sounds like a flat out rumor.....this one is actually way out there

EVII

Last edited by Evolution Se7en; Jan 20, 2003 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:46 AM

Notice how he says:

mitsu will introduce another intermediate version of the LANCER.
Not Evolution.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

I'm skeptical of a V6 as well. Another rumor was that the low level Eclipses would be phased out (removing the 4G64 engine from that line) leaving only the V6 variants, and the perhaps using the 4G64 in a "'tweener" Lancer that would rest between Lancer and Lancer Evo.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 02:49 PM

im in the dc area with custom black and gray leather, its not anything special. every mitsu dealer can do it.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:57 PM

Which city is this CarMax in? I've been to the one in Laurel before.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:49 PM

mitsu minute cont (pt 3)

v6 isn't a rumor - straight from the sales mgr who met with corporate. it will be the 3.5l. no idea whether that will be fwd or awd, but like i said i only know of the engine.

the standard mitsu leather is not what we put in. we pick/choose our colors. that's why we had the black/yellow in the yellow one, and black/red in the black one i sold. i'm not saying your leather package isn't decent - i'm just saying that ours are a little more unique. they've also got the O.Z. emblem on the seats as opposed to just saying "lancer" like the mitsu package does. six in one hand, a half dozen in the other. same difference, etc.

and yes, it is the carmax mitsu dealer in laurel (across from carmax toyota). you can actually browse carmax's real time inventory (everything's database driven) online at www.carmax.com. you can see our price, msrp, invoice, etc.

example: stock # 1352401 is a yellow o.z.
invoice: $15,604
msrp: $16,502
carmax: $15,098 (+$500 if you prefer not to use rebate and go for special rates).

even if you don't use the rebate, you can see that you're still paying below invoice by a few bucks.

we're the #3 mitsu dealer in the midatlantic region, and last i heard we were #7 or #8 in the country - we'll have no probs getting evos. so, if you're looking for a place to buy your evo, you can actually fly to maryland and save a coupla grand.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
V6

You know that is not a bad idea. A V6 will give people an option for some oomph besides a Turbo. (I personally love the 4G63T) Think about it. Subaru has the RS with a 2.5 flat four, a V6 lancer would give it a slight edge with AWD minus weight. Then a WRX fighter as a Lancer Turbo. And a Lancer Evolution to battle the STi. Sounds good to me. Pretty nice line up. But I can see it now. Blah Blah Blah, my V6 is better than you little 2.0 liter Turbo. In the words of Mitsu "It's more refined" Hah! I have yet to see a 3G Elcipse run down my 1G Talon. Nope, won't happen.

/<
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:25 PM
JJ

When do u think they will release the intermediate version of the lancer? may 2003 or do u think they will wait until jan 2004? I cant wait for this model to come out, the lancer needs more power, but i dont have the 30K plus to spend on the awesome EVO , im just a poor college student.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:45 PM

Mid-level Lancer?

I have seen the other posts about the Vegas meeting with the "tweener" Lancer being mentioned, but I think that is all that is being done with that right now at the top of Mitsus board...being MENTIONED.
As for the V6...if this car does in fact come into production, I definitely do not see it with a 3.5l V6 powerplant. If anything I can picture them throwing the 4g64 in there.
I don't think that if Mitsu DID produce this car they would focus on the engine. I would imagine that it would be more focused on suspension and luxury amenities that the Lancer es,ls,oz lacks (sunroof, power seats, audio upgrade, leather, etc.)
I would definitely be interested in what they come up with, but for now I'm just trying to get the Lancer I already have to go fast without worrying about what's going to one-up me two years from now.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

97ESi,

If you guys don't hold cars, take deposits, etc how does the car ordering process work?

For instance, when mitsu releases the specs/options, is that when the orders will be placed?

I live in the DC area and if this is the case I have nothing to worry about, just as long as I'm there to order the car with what options/color I want, right?

I dont want to miss out 'cause I'm not on some waiting list that people have been on for over a year.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:55 PM

"ordering" from carmax

well, we do a first come-first served type deal. it truly is the "possession is 10/10ths of the law" atmosphere at any carmax store. the second we get 'em, i'll let you know. then it's just a matter of coming there. there's a calculator on the "research" tab on the carmax site where you can figure out your monthly payments and stuff. just use a reasonable rate (the last rate you got on a car is a good starting point).

since you're in the dc area, you know of the other mitsu dealers in the area. i've spoken to r'ville mitsu and they're talkin' about selling them for 40-50k. buahahaha. what a ripoff. fox mitsu has a 3-4k markup on all their cars. i can credit dealerships like that for the reason why ppl hate dealerships. darcars, as much as i hate them, are the closest to our price, but they're still a coupla hundred over.

i just wish i weren't in the middle of tryin' to save up for a house, or i'd get an evo right away. all the customers in the area will be fighting with all our techs though. since they're going to be the ones getting the cars ready, they'll know the second they come in. hehehe. they're already talkin' about how 4-5 guys have already put the cash away.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Minute