Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Changed actuator, car overboosting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed actuator, car overboosting

Hi guys,

Ive been prowling these forums for awhile but signed up to ask a question as im paranoid-as.

Basically I had a dump pipe, turbo back exhaust, fuel pump and hotside pipe put on the car and when doing the exhaust I changed the actuator to a 1.5 bar one. I know im not supposed to boost the car as it causes the car to boost higher than usual but my clutch started slipping and I needed to get it changed before getting the tune done. To ensure the car wouldntoverboost as a temporary solution the guys unplugged my boost solenoid to keep it recirculating at 1 bar until the tune.

I told the guys changing the clutch not to plug it back in but one of them mustve thought he was an expert and put it back in due to their crap communication skills. The gauge read boost last hit at 1.8 bar, the car seems to be fine but im worried they did unseen damage when 'testing' the car. Anyone have any ideas?.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by jap_2609
Hi guys,

Ive been prowling these forums for awhile but signed up to ask a question as im paranoid-as.

Basically I had a dump pipe, turbo back exhaust, fuel pump and hotside pipe put on the car and when doing the exhaust I changed the actuator to a 1.5 bar one. I know im not supposed to boost the car as it causes the car to boost higher than usual but my clutch started slipping and I needed to get it changed before getting the tune done. To ensure the car wouldntoverboost as a temporary solution the guys unplugged my boost solenoid to keep it recirculating at 1 bar until the tune.

I told the guys changing the clutch not to plug it back in but one of them mustve thought he was an expert and put it back in due to their crap communication skills. The gauge read boost last hit at 1.8 bar, the car seems to be fine but im worried they did unseen damage when 'testing' the car. Anyone have any ideas?.

I doubt it, how does the car feel and does it still drive the same? Don't worry. Just unplug it if makes you feel at ease and go get the car tuned.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
They should have never 'tested' the clutch like that. When one installs a new clutch they usually have to break it in for 500 miles. Meaning no serious boost or shifts beyond 5k rpms.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
They should have never 'tested' the clutch like that. When one installs a new clutch they usually have to break it in for 500 miles. Meaning no serious boost or shifts beyond 5k rpms.
So what happens if you just had your clutch replaced along with new mods or turbo swap, you saying you got to wait 500 miles to get it retuned?