Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help with my budget turbo set up

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help with my budget turbo set up

hey guys im trying to build a turbo setup that is pretty affordable but im confused when it comes to the actual turbo and the way it will fit in my car.this is probably going to sound dumb but i have been wanting to buy a precision 5431e turbo, its only 775.00 so i thinks thats really cheap for a turbo imo, anyway i was wondering 1. is that a decent turbo thats worth building a setup with thats affordable? 2. if it is then what would i need to do to make sure that the turbo and my t3 manifold will correspond with my down pipe, ic piping, etc. please dont be too harsh just trying to get this going.
thank u
-chris
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

this is the turbo and it doesnt have a hotside it looks like so how would i know which hotside i should get that will fit?

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turboc...--5431E-MFS/58
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be honest with you. I just had like 9 sentences typed up til I realized that turbo is so small it doesnt even come with the option for a .82 AR hot side lol. You choose from either .48 or .62. .62 isnt terrible and is considered normal, but .48 is unreal haha.

That does come with a hotside. But, the power you're going to get from that turbo, seriously just stick with a stock turbo. Spend your money elsewhere like on cams and a tune and some other useful boltons.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a strange route.. Why don't you just stay stock frame for now and send in your turbo to fp and have them upgrade you to like a 73hta for like $800? Super good deal.. The turbo comes back almost new. I bought a used 9 turbo for $200, sent it into fp for the 71hta upgrade for like $600 and that was it. In hindsight I should have just upgraded to a red but that's another thread... Anyway good luck dude.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

ORR if you dont want to stay stock frame I think this is the best deal out there right now for a full turbo kit. Comes with downpipe, licp, ex. mani, turbo, EVERYTHING.

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...Turbo-Kit.html
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

thank u both for the responses because honestly i thought i was going to get ripped on. i considered this turbo for two reasons only, 1. being its price and 2. being pte claims the turbo is rated for 500whp with the proper supporting mods, which i thought was great because im looking for like 400whp. As for the turbo kit, its a nice suggestion but honestly i have too many things going on in my life to drop 3 grand with other bills that are more important, thats why i wanted to try an attempt a build of some sort. is there any other turbos i can try besides the fp ones bc theyre also pretty dam pricey. even though im sure theyre fantastic replacement turbos.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can easily do close to 400whp with a stock turbo man. You really dont need that Precision turbo for it. The car will be less fun on that Precision than with the stock turbo.

What are your current mods?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by amsevokid
thank u both for the responses because honestly i thought i was going to get ripped on. i considered this turbo for two reasons only, 1. being its price and 2. being pte claims the turbo is rated for 500whp with the proper supporting mods, which i thought was great because im looking for like 400whp. As for the turbo kit, its a nice suggestion but honestly i have too many things going on in my life to drop 3 grand with other bills that are more important, thats why i wanted to try an attempt a build of some sort. is there any other turbos i can try besides the fp ones bc theyre also pretty dam pricey. even though im sure theyre fantastic replacement turbos.

That turbo you selected is too small man. It's just not worth the $700. When a company says "rated to 500hp" first of all they are talking crank hp. Second of all they are saying that the turbo is EFFICIENT up to 500hp, NOT that you can strap this unit to any car and instantly make 500 hp. More importantly it wont work with your stock setup. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you will need at least a new down pipe, exhaust manifold, feed lines etc. If you were getting something like a 5858 or 6262 or 6466 it makes sense to do it, otherwise stick with what you have. No one is going to recommend that turbo and I have never seen anyone even use it...

Now onto the bigger picture. You say that you want 400whp. This is doable with your stock 9 turbo ESP if you have either e85 or methanol(not recommended). With your stock turbo you will need almost every bolt on in the book to reach 400whp, but it IS possible. Now, you do say that money is tight. In this case I believe the easiest and cheapest way for you to get your 400 whp is by sending in your turbo to fp for the hta73(green) or hta75(red) upgrade. All said and done I think it's a little over a thousand dollars.

So, in my mind you have 3 options to get to your goal:

- Upgrade your existing turbo to like a red (send to map or fp) and keep everything else stock ($1500)

- Keep stock turbo and start buying all of the bolt on's ($5000)

- Keep stock turbo, run e85 and buy most bolt on's ($3000)

This is all just my .02
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Give this a read too!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I say keep stock turbo and buy the bolt-ons. You could make over 350 and have a fun car with quick spool. And if you ever decide to go bigger turbo you will already have all the supporting mods pretty much.