Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Typical Boost Response/Stock Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know my 05 doesn't tend to really pull until the RPMs hit around 3000 on my stocker. Hallman MBC, Injen intercooler piping and a Buschur TB are on mine. I don't think it's too out of the ordinary. Then again, one hundred degree weather doesn't help either.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

This was taken from a second gear roll at 3000RPM on dead level ground. The car is catless ( albeit with a factory downpipe and catback). Car also has an AMS LICP. Listen to the sound the car makes when I floor it, and watch the boost gauge sweep. If you stop the video when the boost gauge is pegged around 23psi the car is approaching 4500rpm. Late spool? Watch it full screen and in HD.

Last edited by Ricoswave; Jul 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you upload a log?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

At this point I have no means of logging but I am going to get on that soon. I would like to be able to see exactly what is going on.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's worth it. I'm not modding or tuning until I can properly monitor and log AF and boost. Putting on the Omni confirmed my suspicions about my spool. Now I can make changes and actually tell if they're having a positive effect.

Get a Tactrix and an Omni. Setup is easy.

Originally Posted by Ricoswave
At this point I have no means of logging but I am going to get on that soon. I would like to be able to see exactly what is going on.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
its not tooo laggy, mines worse and i cant figure it out.

i would bet yours is an easy fix, add pre load to the wastegate actuator arm.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Seems pretty normal to me. It is summer and your lucky your not in AZ haha. Did you check your plugs?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah man. I think I am just going to go ahead and put a full exhaust on it and get it back to the tuner and see if it comes around. I just feel like it is way too lethargic from a 3000rpm roll in that low of a gear.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ricoswave
Yeah man. I think I am just going to go ahead and put a full exhaust on it and get it back to the tuner and see if it comes around. I just feel like it is way too lethargic from a 3000rpm roll in that low of a gear.

Well to be honest the turbo needs to have the free flow coming in to get the full effect. The turbo is basically fighting with itself.

The bigger the exhaust the less time it will take to spool compared to it not being able to work more efficiently. Change the exhaust to a full 3 you'll see the difference in spooll.

I think you are reading into it a whole lot more than needed. Basically, if the exhaust outlet is to small then the exhaust can't go anywhere putting pressure on the wheel, slowing it down. If there is less restriction right off the wheel, then it will flow more freely and be able to expel more exhaust gas. This is what I read from another person from a sr20 forum it makes sense to me.

Last edited by impact blue; Jul 28, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

I agree that the spool will be better with an upgraded exhaust, I don't doubt that. The point is that I feel like there is something wrong with my car when it falls flat on its face from a 3000rpm roll in second gear with a stock turbo..........I would expect this kind of lag from a bigger turbo not the stock setup. I shouldn't have to upgrade the exhaust for the car to boost properly. Just listen to the car when I drop the hammer, it has literally NOTHING from 3000rpm. If this is normal that is fine, but I don't like it. At all.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

It takes a solid 2 seconds to spool from this RPM. 2 seconds is an eternity.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

He needs a bigger exhaust to create more flow since he's bringing more exhaust and air pressure in it needs to quickly exit so that the turbo doesn't have everything working against it.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

I rather wait for two seconds for spool that way when you run them down and pass whoever you can be like hey you got no excuse I had to wait for boost.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're spool is normal. Remember we don't have a tiny stock dsm turbo, ours is a bit bigger. You wont get instant response like you're looking for. Below is a vid after I installed a perrin filter. It spools slightly quicker now with a 3-port than in this with the stock bcs. You'll get the idea though. It is second gear, I let off at 4200.

Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't do any power mods until you get this sorted out. You'll be scratching your head forever trying to figure out what's wrong. You'll always wonder if something is goofed up. Don't mask the problem, fix it.

Quick Reply: Typical Boost Response/Stock Turbo?