Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Typical Boost Response/Stock Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine does the same with a stock wga
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aggieEVO
Do yourself a favor and don't do any power mods until you get this sorted out. You'll be scratching your head forever trying to figure out what's wrong. You'll always wonder if something is goofed up. Don't mask the problem, fix it.
This is exactly my point.......... I shouldn't need to put parts on the car to get it back to where it was when I bought it. I can tell you point blank if the car was this lethargic when I test drove it I would have never bought it. I drove it for over a year and it always felt light, rev happy, and fun. This car is not, and something is not quite right.

I will update if I make any progress, I have had zero time to start troubleshooting. At this point I will be looking into the wastegate actuator (oem w/113k on it), or a potentially leaking bov. It really seems like something is bleeding boost at part throttle more so than it should, it is fairly audible. The car has been boost leak tested by stm at least twice and it has been perfect, which complicates things.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

If you bought a turbo'd car thinking you would become
Jesus before 3 grand you are out of your mind.

When was the last time you even looked at a dyno chart??

All the action is after 3k if not 4 grand.
I'm honestly not trying to patronize you but what
you are talking about is absurd, we dont have V8's.

If STM said your car is fine. Your car is FINE.
They are the best in the Northeast. Have you seen their builds?
If there was something wrong, they would tell you
so they could make some business.
Get a second opinion, maybe go to CBRD,
which I would not recommend.

Its summer time. Its hot, its humid.
Air density is inversely proportional to air temperature.
The hotter it gets, the less dense, which means the engine
is not able to use the same volume of air=less response, less power.

I specifically dont like driving my Evo in the summer for this very reason.

And hopefully you find more time and money.
You have to pay to play my friend.
I've seen a lot of decent Evo's go to crap because
owners could not maintain them.

Last edited by Jimmy Javelin; Jul 31, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that a poem you just typed?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeachersEvo
Is that a poem you just typed?
You're the teacher, you tell me lol
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:46 PM

Look back at the most recent mods you did and go from there. If it wasn't like that before, whatever you added is effecting it. If i were you I would re do the boost leak test yourself. It's hard to believe that an evo with that many miles had no boost leaks unless you know for a fact that the throttle body seals were replaced and the bov is fine running hi boost and you don't have any micro size holes in your line. I have an 06 with 48k bearly driven unless its nice weather out and I found 3 leaks. T body seals, a hole in a vaccuum line and intercooler coupling not tight enough.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy Javelin
You're the teacher, you tell me lol
A-; excellent reflective prose. Now if only I taught English Lit...
Old Aug 1, 2013, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 05 EVO, and I am in Az, 4,200 ft above sea level, tuned for crappy 91 and I noticed a longer lag than when I was tuned for 93 in Texas. It, sucks, I hear mine spool up nicely around 3k RPM. I wish it would spool up like it did on 93. Check all your hoses, clamps, zip-ties, and t-offs. I know when I was retuned for 91, my Perrin MBC was making my boost spike and not hold psi. We replaced the MBC with a Hallman and it was holding boost and better dyno numbers. You never know.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blackoutVIII
I have an 05 EVO, and I am in Az, 4,200 ft above sea level, tuned for crappy 91 and I noticed a longer lag than when I was tuned for 93 in Texas. It, sucks, I hear mine spool up nicely around 3k RPM. I wish it would spool up like it did on 93. Check all your hoses, clamps, zip-ties, and t-offs. I know when I was retuned for 91, my Perrin MBC was making my boost spike and not hold psi. We replaced the MBC with a Hallman and it was holding boost and better dyno numbers. You never know.
Correction, I am not spooling up that late. About 2500-2800k my turbo is beginning to spool. I hit 25psi at around 4200-4700k. That was from a quick glance at my Boost gauge in 3rd gear WOT pull.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

If you bought a turbo'd car thinking you would become
Jesus before 3 grand you are out of your mind.

1.) I drove the car for two years and was very happy with it. I know how it should run, it should hit nice and crisp from 3000-4000, not feel like mush.

When was the last time you even looked at a dyno chart??

2.) Pretty sure I looked at the one at the shop when they were tuning me, and about 15-20 from other stock turbo cars around the country and again most are showing better boost response than my car. There is a reason I don't like what I see.

All the action is after 3k if not 4 grand.
I'm honestly not trying to patronize you but what
you are talking about is absurd, we dont have V8's.

3.) I understand what turbo lag is. I have driven turbo cars my whole life. My 89 turbo I Sundance was more fun to drive than my car in its current state.

If STM said your car is fine. Your car is FINE.
They are the best in the Northeast. Have you seen their builds?
If there was something wrong, they would tell you
so they could make some business.
Get a second opinion, maybe go to CBRD,
which I would not recommend.

4.) STM is great, maybe even the best. I don't need you or anyone else to remind me.

Its summer time. Its hot, its humid.
Air density is inversely proportional to air temperature.
The hotter it gets, the less dense, which means the engine
is not able to use the same volume of air=less response, less power.

5.) Yes humid hot air kills power but would not cause my car to feel like it does right now.

I specifically dont like driving my Evo in the summer for this very reason.

And hopefully you find more time and money.
You have to pay to play my friend.
I've seen a lot of decent Evo's go to crap because
owners could not maintain them.
6.) I have spent more money on keeping the car up than I have on mods for this vary reason. Timing belt, fluid changes, and countless little things.

Maybe all of you guys who think you know how my car runs come over to CNY and then tell me it doesn't spool like a Yugo on 2 cylinders? The know it alls on this forum kill me.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ricoswave
6.) I have spent more money on keeping the car up than I have on mods for this vary reason. Timing belt, fluid changes, and countless little things.

Maybe all of you guys who think you know how my car runs come over to CNY and then tell me it doesn't spool like a Yugo on 2 cylinders? The know it alls on this forum kill me.
Why dont you sell it to someone on the forum?
Hell I'll even buy it.

I'm sure there is someone on this forum who would enjoy maintaining and appreciating the car.

I'm sure they would also be better suited to fixing whatever issue it has, if it has any at all.

And I'm not a no it all, but you opted to dismiss a professional shops opinion to find an opinion from random strangers on the internet.

God bless
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

When your Evo ran faster before VS now..do you notice a change in vacuum on your gauge? Is it showing less vacuum at idle than before?

N.

Last edited by novem; Aug 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Na
Old Aug 5, 2013, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

OP: What boost controller are you running? I had a similar issue with boost coming in way too late. I took my manual boost controller apart and there was a ton of corrosion in there which forced my boost to kick in late.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
OP: What boost controller are you running? I had a similar issue with boost coming in way too late. I took my manual boost controller apart and there was a ton of corrosion in there which forced my boost to kick in late.
Thanks, I have not had time to try running it off wastegate pressure alone and bypassing the mbc , but I will give this a shot. Its a hallman mbc, and it was hooked up sharing a vacuum source with the BOV. I do not like this personally, I may change it back to the stock variation.

Jimmy Javelin thanks for being yet another worthless tool who has no clue how my car runs or can grasp the fact that MY CAR IS NOT RUNNING RIGHT. Again, come drive it so you can tell me "there is nothing wrong". Hahaha. Another perfect example of how helpful this forum is

Literally I don't think I will post on this forum anymore. I think I would rather take the car apart bolt by bolt and put it back together in my garage one system at a time rather than deal with some of you clowns.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Why dont you sell it to someone on the forum?
Hell I'll even buy it.

(If I wanted to sell the car I wouldn't be troubleshooting a performance issue. I am doing the smart thing and getting it healthy before I cover up its problems with mods).

I'm sure there is someone on this forum who would enjoy maintaining and appreciating the car.

(Because I don't enjoy maintaining my car? Ok. Where do you people get this ****?)

I'm sure they would also be better suited to fixing whatever issue it has, if it has any at all.

( You have no idea who I am or my ability to "fix" whatever issue it has. This statement is a joke.)

And I'm not a no it all, but you opted to dismiss a professional shops opinion to find an opinion from random strangers on the internet.

( Yeah, because its not a good idea to poll thousands of people with different experiences on the internet, to help me with what is pretty obvious a lazy spooling car. Yep. )

God bless
(God bless EvoM, because it is overrun by worthless trolls who belong on a honda forum).

Quick Reply: Typical Boost Response/Stock Turbo?