Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Synthetic Oil Study, interesting....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2005, 09:24 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for useful info
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:30 AM
SOF
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slt
Study
This study is still ongoing, but they have already had some intesting findings. Their Mobil 1 study showed the oil lasting 18,000 miles before it needed to be replaced. Even more interesting to me is that they found that engine wear actually decreases as an oil ages a bit. That is to say that your engine actually wears more if you change the oil too frequently. They seem to be finding that 5-10k mile change intervals are more appropriate.
The main reason for changing oil is to get rid of combustion byproducts building up in your crank case and oil pan. Whether you use conventional or synthetic oil makes no difference. Synthetic oil might take longer to break down but that doesn't matter since gunk is still building up in the oil. Change your oil every 3k miles, period.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
but they're sayin' the gunk doesn't cuase more wear... but i'm guessing the gunk makes you lose hp... BUT changing out the gunk DOES cause wear... ooooooh
Old Mar 5, 2005, 05:20 PM

My dad always changed synthetic oil vehicles at 5k miles. He always told me to do the same. I never really questioned it because he has a pretty good background in automotives. He still changes out regular oil between 3k and 4k miles but he has sometimes let synthetic even slip to nearly 7k miles before changing it. I have been rather consistent about changing my oil every 5k miles. I take the manual saying to change oil every 3k miles as more a rule of thumb than a standard operating procedure. This study just goes to further reinforce what my father taught me. go dad
Old Mar 5, 2005, 05:27 PM
SOF
Evolving Member