Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Powder Coating Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+100 for the looks. Im sure its time consuming as all hell though.

You said you did this at home? Did you bake it in the oven when you were done?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:30 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

I'm diggin' the door lock things or whatever you call them LOL. Wipers too.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by SmittyPNW
+100 for the looks. Im sure its time consuming as all hell though.

You said you did this at home? Did you bake it in the oven when you were done?
It does take a couple hours to go through the whole process, but that is why I do a batch at a time. I am using about 6 colors for my car build, so I made 6 shelves in my garage and labeled them by color. As I am disassembling the car, I put each part on the appropriate shelf for the color I want it. Once a shelf gets an ovens worth of parts, I do a batch.

I do this at home in my garage, you have to bake it in the oven. When you are spraying the powder on the part, it has the consistency of flour, before you bake it, the slightest bump to the powder will wipe it off. During the bake, all the powder melts and flows together creating the end results you saw on page 1.

Here's my garage to give you an idea of how its setup. You can see the oven at the end.

Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sev
I'm diggin' the door lock things or whatever you call them LOL. Wipers too.
Lol thanks, I think they are called door strikers, but don't quote me on that.

Powder Coating Thread-rbee9j8.jpg

And the door strikers before

Powder Coating Thread-qrw7emu.jpg
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I powdercoat too. It's alot easier than people think.. However it can be messy with some powders (I HATE HATE HATE YELLOW AND WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN)

The oven I use was found in an alley being thrown away. It looks like ***, but it was large, clean, and free.

Where are you getting your powders from? I got a shipment of various greys and blacks from powderbuythepound.com but I have yet to shoot it, so I can't comment as to the quality.

Also, with the door strikers... You do realize that the powder will chip/flake/crack off the first few times you close the doors, correct?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by hatesposers
I powdercoat too. It's alot easier than people think.. However it can be messy with some powders (I HATE HATE HATE YELLOW AND WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN)

The oven I use was found in an alley being thrown away. It looks like ***, but it was large, clean, and free.

Where are you getting your powders from? I got a shipment of various greys and blacks from powderbuythepound.com but I have yet to shoot it, so I can't comment as to the quality.

Also, with the door strikers... You do realize that the powder will chip/flake/crack off the first few times you close the doors, correct?

LOL, how about red? For some reason, whenever I shoot it, everything, including me is covered in red powder. It is easier than people think, I was seriously getting good results my first day in. There is a learning curve on certain things but overall its not too difficult.

My oven came off the free section in craigslist, that's the way to do it. Its old but keeps the temps consistent and that's what counts.

I prefer Powder365, All Powder Paints, and Prismatic. I have heard some people complain of bad powder from Powder by the pound every once in awhile. All powder paints is local to me so I use them almost exclusively now.

I thought the same thing about the door strikers, but since I have 2 cars worth of parts, I had extras to test on. I have installed them and opened and closed the door at least a couple hundred times. They have not chipped yet, the matte black is just a little glossier where the latch hits it. Holding up great honestly.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

I will check out powder365. Never heard of them before.

I have been looking for a powder that can mimic real black chrome. perhaps a candy black over a mirror chrome... we shall see.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Have you tried their "bonded black chrome"? It seems that every powder I have seen that's listed as "Black chrome" is just a hair lighter than gunmetal.

It seems there's nothing between "mirror black" and "black chrome"
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 99ishVR4
Awesome, any pics?
here are a few of some evo parts 1brem by lelej1080, bushings. BeforeIMAG0476 by lelej1080, IMAG0480 by lelej1080, IMAG0485 by lelej1080, .

Last edited by DSMolition; Aug 7, 2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you split the brembos or remove anything when you coated them. I want to start powder coating them instead of painting for durability reasons
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:45 PM

Those Brembos look dope!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 99ishVR4
It does take a couple hours to go through the whole process, but that is why I do a batch at a time. I am using about 6 colors for my car build, so I made 6 shelves in my garage and labeled them by color. As I am disassembling the car, I put each part on the appropriate shelf for the color I want it. Once a shelf gets an ovens worth of parts, I do a batch.

I do this at home in my garage, you have to bake it in the oven. When you are spraying the powder on the part, it has the consistency of flour, before you bake it, the slightest bump to the powder will wipe it off. During the bake, all the powder melts and flows together creating the end results you saw on page 1.

Here's my garage to give you an idea of how its setup. You can see the oven at the end.

I understand the process. I was just curious if you had a complete setup at home.

Props to the DIY guy.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:49 PM

I will check out powder365. Never heard of them before.

I have been looking for a powder that can mimic real black chrome. perhaps a candy black over a mirror chrome... we shall see.
Just like the chrome powder looking like real chrome, there is no black chrome that looks exactly like real black chrome. But you are on the right track.

The 2 stage black chrome is exactly what you mentioned, it is a translucent black that is to be sprayed over real chrome, a polished surface, or powder coat chrome. However most of them have a hue to them, either green, purple, or brown. This is one occasion where I believe Eastwood offers the best powder, and that is the black chrome. It is the favored one black chrome for not having some colored hue to it.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:52 PM

Have you tried their "bonded black chrome"? It seems that every powder I have seen that's listed as "Black chrome" is just a hair lighter than gunmetal.

It seems there's nothing between "mirror black" and "black chrome"
Yes, bonded black chrome is the one I use and the one I posted pics of in this thread.

For a more realistic black chrome look, you need a 2 stage black chrome like I described in the post above.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by DSMolition
here are a few of some evo parts
Nice looking parts, thanks for sharing. I especially like the brake calipers. I took mine apart with plans to coat them, and then changed my mind on the color. That was months ago and I still can't decide what color to coat them. Either red, black, or silver.

Btw, I started a new thing on my powder coating site, where readers can submit their own diy powder coating pics. There will be a winner every week and the pic will be displayed in the top right corner of the page along with their name(if they are ok with that). Since I just started it, I have no submissions, lol, so if you want one of your pics up there next week, the spot is yours. There is a sample pic up there now if you want to see it.

Just trying to get some reader involvement going on. Let me know if you want to. Thanks

Quick Reply: Powder Coating Thread