Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Powder Coating Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished a new article. Learn how to spray multiple coats. Also covers 2 tones and fades. http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2015/...l#.Vbj3mrWz5kE
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Powder coated tow hook.

Nagisa front inner fender bars (red).

Close-up of powder coated valve cover with hydrographics.

Turbo oil lines powder coated, along with the 2 Cam Angle Sensor housings, Thermostat housing and not shown: Intake Manifold. More on the way!

Last edited by NJ9MR; Jul 29, 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by NJ9MR

Powder coated tow hook.

Nagisa front inner fender bars (red).

Close-up of powder coated valve cover with hydrographics.

Turbo oil lines powder coated, along with the 2 Cam Angle Sensor housings, Thermostat housing and not shown: Intake Manifold. More on the way!

Those are some awesome parts. That engine bay is looking great. You are the only other person I have seen coat their oil feed lines.

Powder Coating Thread-wi0ujcml.jpg

Pic doesn't do them justice, tape is just to keep dust out until they make their way to the engine.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
nice work, so when you're sprawing powder around everywhere is there much issue with dust getting everywhere through out your garage??

Last edited by Jonno99; Jul 29, 2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

No rust allowed...

[QUOTE=99ishVR4;11485231]Those are some awesome parts. That engine bay is looking great. You are the only other person I have seen coat their oil feed lines.

Thank YOU! I've spoken to my mechanic, and others on the oil/turbo lines. All agreed that no harm to performance occurs. After 108K miles, those lines began to rust up on my car. Can't let that happen!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
good idea on the lines I wish I would of done that when I had mine out. I would of done a machine gray to keep that oem look on mine. Looks good!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
nice work, so when you're sprawing powder around everywhere is there much issue with dust getting everywhere through out your garage??
If you just openly spray powder in a garage, yes, the whole garage eventually gets coated in powder. Having a sandblasting cabinet in the garage also adds to the dust. It is good to build some kind of spray booth with a fan on the back wall and a furnace filter on the fan to catch the over spray. It won't catch it all but it makes a big difference. I have seen spray booths that have consisted of a cardboard box with one side cut out all the way to a completely enclosed room specifically for powder coating.

[QUOTE=NJ9MR;11486045]
Originally Posted by 99ishVR4
Those are some awesome parts. That engine bay is looking great. You are the only other person I have seen coat their oil feed lines.

Thank YOU! I've spoken to my mechanic, and others on the oil/turbo lines. All agreed that no harm to performance occurs. After 108K miles, those lines began to rust up on my car. Can't let that happen!
Exactly, can't stand rusty parts on a clean build. The more stuff that is coated and clean in the engine bay, the more a rusty part sticks out.

Originally Posted by DSMolition
good idea on the lines I wish I would of done that when I had mine out. I would of done a machine gray to keep that oem look on mine. Looks good!
Yeah, while I do love the bright candy colors in a lot of engine bays, I am personally doing a black / black chrome theme.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
is the oven big enough to powder coat a rim?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, but...

[/QUOTE]Yeah, while I do love the bright candy colors in a lot of engine bays, I am personally doing a black / black chrome theme.[/QUOTE]

I know that black is very popular. But I've seen some engine bays where they pop the hood, and you literally can't see a thing. My thought is, you spend a lot of money in an engine bay, why not accent it a little...