Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo8 misfire under light load when cold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I agree you should never boost the car cold, but it should be able to pull out of the parking lot fine just like any other car without missing and hesitating...........mine has the same exact symptom that he is describing every morning without fail. If the car did this the whole time I owned it that would be fine, but I drove it over a year and even in the dead of winter it never did this garbage to me. I am talking 10 percent throttle input on a 90 degree day and it doesn't want to go for the first minute or so of driving, almost feels like the car is misfiring or has bad gas, then it magically dissapears three blocks later.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:12 PM

^^ exactly that, I'm not boosting it at all when cold just simply trying to use light throttle thru a car park or even light take off when cold not even getting close to seeing boost

Replaced coils leads and spark plugs had battery tested today also had a diagnostic scan tool plugged in to see if any codes were logged all came back ok.

Next step is to clean MAF if problem persists... Hopfully not
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:31 PM

Also one other thing I would check is the fuel injector resistor on the firewall. make sure all 4 of the prongs are solid.. I has one that rusted and broke somehow??? car would run fine until i got on it a little then it would misfire.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slammedndirty
Also one other thing I would check is the fuel injector resistor on the firewall. make sure all 4 of the prongs are solid.. I has one that rusted and broke somehow??? car would run fine until i got on it a little then it would misfire.

Yeah for sure the resistor pack on the firewall had a wire rust loose on me and the car dropped a cylinder, so this definitely can cause trouble.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:29 PM

mine did that too..i changed the spark plugs and its was gone
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:26 AM

UPDATE: I have replaced the spark plugs coils and leads and so far no trouble since... Fingers crossed its gone now

Thanks for the tip with the injector resistor pack I checked it and all seemed ok

Ill keep you all posted a few days from today as to how it's all going!