Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is not the crank mark at all , the crank should be a little more than 45 degrees to the right , if you have the cover still on the best way to check is with the crank pulley on the cover . The crank pulley has a small white mark that lines up with the timing cover marks . What you have circled is the guide for the crank pulley . With the cover off there is a small notch that lines up to a notch by the timing tensioner . Its at about the 10 clock position looking at the crank gear .
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just take all the covers off then behind the crank pulley there is the trigger plate with the exact mark
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Ive seen that before and the valve got bent and hit the pistons . Happened to the customer because he miss-shifted into the wrong gear and over revved it . Try and reinstallnew/or same rockers and do a compression test .
This is right. It happened to me. Take the head off get it to a machine shop and have the check the rest of the valves. They will have to re seat the ones that were smacked anyways. Good luck! Upgrade springs and retainers while your at it if its an option and cams if that was a plan.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:19 PM

so installed new lifters and rocker arms, installed new balance belt and timing belt.... AND.... No dice... car still does not start... sounds exactly like what it did before i did all this work....

Should i take the head off and check the valves? i tried a compression test.... 0 across all 4.....
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

I had a Crank Angel sensor go on me on a highway, the car lost power and engine shut off after a few seconds, then wont start.

I found to a few spots on the surface of my timing chews off by the sensor, since the sensor gives the signal to the ECU to inject fuel and ignite spark, it sound like your video.

Check the crank angel sensor first, before spending money taking part the motor.
You can check it by taking off the bottom part of cam belt cover.

Hope this is the cause, as it will be cheaper fix.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the reply unihappytime, i actually changed that as well when i did the timing belt.... I cant imagine it breaking agian... illl check on that tomorrow.

I know the crank angle sensor prevents the car from starting, but should i be able to get actual compression numbers even if the crank angle sensor is bad?

Originally Posted by unihappytime
I had a Crank Angel sensor go on me on a highway, the car lost power and engine shut off after a few seconds, then wont start.

I found to a few spots on the surface of my timing chews off by the sensor, since the sensor gives the signal to the ECU to inject fuel and ignite spark, it sound like your video.

Check the crank angel sensor first, before spending money taking part the motor.
You can check it by taking off the bottom part of cam belt cover.

Hope this is the cause, as it will be cheaper fix.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

If you checked compression and have 0 across all four cylinders, you're gonna have to pull the head off no matter what to find out the extent of the damage. Even if the crank angle sensor is bad, that wont make a difference if you have ZERO compression. That sucks man. Let us know what you or the machine shop finds.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:54 AM

Thanks for the input legacydestroyer... I'm already in the process of removing the head... Its such a PITA...

Anyone in the NY/Long Island area know a reasonable machine shop I can go to?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

OK, sounds like your case is more serious. Sorry to hear that mate.

My car cranked, via the starter motor, so should build up pressure if the internals are OK. With the crank angle sensor being faulty, it's just like when you were doing a compression test.

Hope what you find is minimal or you will have a very persuasive situation for a built motor.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by rs4buddy
Thanks for the input legacydestroyer... I'm already in the process of removing the head... Its such a PITA...

Anyone in the NY/Long Island area know a reasonable machine shop I can go to?

Try snakepit performance ( Ask for John - formerly Machineworld LI) does very good machine work.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:56 PM

So i got the head off, all my intake valves are bent pretty bad... looks like i need to get this to a machine shop... i was hoping i could get new valves and re-seat them myself my hand....
Name:  IMG-20130829-04774_zps35c17ad1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  32.6 KB

There seems to be damage to my piston.... should i worry?
Name:  IMG-20130829-04775_zpsa3db9ff2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  55.3 KB

Old Aug 31, 2013, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Sucks that it happens but best thing is to take it to a machine shop and have them take a look at it . Have them do a full valve job and install new seals and guides .
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Sucks that it happens but best thing is to take it to a machine shop and have them take a look at it . Have them do a full valve job and install new seals and guides .

Do you think i would have a issue with the piston head? The valves put a indentation into it....
Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

It will be fine , just check and make sure to see none of the pistons got any damage besides cosmetic . (Cracks)
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:04 PM

Brining this back from the dead! So my car started! Got a fresh head on the block, started the car... now i hear a lot of ticking noise.... doesnt seem good.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1P84...ature=youtu.be

what could it be?

Quick Reply: EVO 8 Starting problem