Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 8 Starting problem

Hi everyone so I'm new to the forums, I just picked up a EVO... and already ran into some issues...

I was driving last night, shifted into 3rd, then a clanking noise occurred and the car shut off. I tried starting it up again, started up, and died right away. As I was still rolling, I pop started the car and still nothing. Now this is what it sounds like.

The car cranks, but dosn't turn over... not sure what happened.. anyone have any inputs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meRBT...ature=youtu.be

Thanks guys

-Jason L.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it is not making compression . It might have snapped the timing belt and made some internal damage .
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:18 PM

yikes.... sigh.... I'm gonna have to open it up and find out then ... any other input?

Thanks 02-Lancer
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how many miles on it
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

There may be hope for you.....no obvious knocking so the bottom end is likely still in one piece. Not a whole lot of valvetrain noise either.........if the timing belt was out of time or broken you would most likely get some chatter. I would visually check out the timing belt/marks, and if it looks good try a simple compression test.

Could be something stupid like an electrical failure or even a shot fuel pump. Keep us posted.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:24 PM

sounds like my dsm did when it skipped timing... sorry to say it. Pull the cover and check the belt.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 04:58 AM

I hope it did do much damge either... The motor has just over 110k...

If timing jumped, or belt snapped, wouldn't I do more damge from cranking the motor? I have weird feeling I may have bent a valve or 2....

I'll be checking it out tonight, keep you guys posted... Thanks guys!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Did you get a check engine light.... might be a crank sensor if you are saying it shut off then you turned it back on then it died again sounds like a crank sensor to me. if it skipped timing and you would of turned it on. It would start knocking because you would have bent valves.

I take back what I said. just heard the video your timing belt is gone. You def bent valves this happened to me most of valves where bent

Last edited by evo1008; Aug 9, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:09 PM

Back with some news... so I got a chance to just take the timing belt cover off....

Timing belt was still fully intact.... BUTTT.... there was shreds of a timing belt inside.... i rotated the crank all the way around multiple times and the timing belt on the car is perfeclty in tact still.

I didnt get a chance to open up the bottom cover and stuff, but where could the piece come from?

I also rotated the crank till the cam gears lined up witht he markings, and they seem to be almost exact, maybe one tooth off at most.... ill take some pictures when there is day light out... hopefully the rest of the cover isnt a pain in the butt to get to...

Keep you guys posted!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good to hear,one tooth(if that) is no biggy.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:21 PM

SO... I got bad news... when i turn the key to start the car, the starter cranks, but the crank/timing belt doesn't move... Could i have snapped the bolts that mount the flywheel onto the crankshaft?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:24 PM

It sounds like it may have jumped timing...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

I have heard a few stories of the camshaft on the evo 9 breaking but also if the pin on the crankshaft itself is is broken the crank pulley will just spin in place if you are lucky you might be able to get it out otherwise need to take the engine apart

That noise you hear the the video when you crank is either no compression
Or the timing belt is not turning

Last edited by evo1008; Aug 13, 2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I think ^ this guy is on to something with the crank spinning around the crank sprocket. Maybe your key fell out that holds it together. I very highly doubt you broke the crankshaft flywheel bolts.
Also that small part of timing belt must be from your balance shaft belt.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by evo1008
I have heard a few stories of the camshaft on the evo 9 breaking but also if the pin on the crankshaft itself is is broken the crank pulley will just spin in place if you are lucky you might be able to get it out otherwise need to take the engine apart

That noise you hear the the video when you crank is either no compression
Or the timing belt is not turning
The timing belt is defiantly not turning. Where is the pin on the crankshaft?

Originally Posted by DSMolition
I think ^ this guy is on to something with the crank spinning around the crank sprocket. Maybe your key fell out that holds it together. I very highly doubt you broke the crankshaft flywheel bolts.
Also that small part of timing belt must be from your balance shaft belt.
Reason why I came up with this crazy idea is becasue the previous owner jut changed the clutch, pressure plate and resurfaced the flywheel.

It seems like I wont be able to figure out the issue unless i separate the engine and transmission.

What pin/key is this that we talk about.... lol

thanks guy
-Jason.

Quick Reply: EVO 8 Starting problem