Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Well, I'm back...almost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm back...almost

Many of you probably know my old car (old car), and how I wish I'd never sold it for that EVO X.... Well after getting rid of the EVO X, and getting the 335i, and then buying another EVO IX MR, and then getting rid of the 335i, my second EVO IX MR is another step closer to being back to glory of my first one.

As you can tell from the for sale thread, I took EXCELLENT care of my first car, and I wish the previous owner of my current EVO would have given a **** about this car, instead of pretending he did long enough to sell it. No major headaches so far, but I bought the car with 60k miles on it and was told that everything for the 60k service had been done but the belts.

Quickly found out that was a lie when I drained the transmission fluid at 70k miles and it looked like tar. Same thing with the front and rear diffs. They had NEVER been changed. That's okay though, no damage done. The transmission shifts like crap, and for some unknown reason the previous owner decided to replace the stock clutch with some no name brand lockout-a-palooza POS.

BUT, I'm not bitter.

First things first...at around 90k miles I installed a few parts I bought back from the new owner of my car. ETS intake, ETS LICP, FIC 780 injectors. Then I took the car to Kevin D and had all the fluids changed, had the head pulled, hot tanked, rebuilt, new head gasket installed, ARP head studs installed, compression/leakdown/boost leak test done, pulled and cleaned the throttle body and installed Mil.Spec shaft seals, stainless steel brake lines, new brake fluid, new timing belt, accessory belts, water pump, EGR delete, PCV valve replacement, and had the car tuned conservatively at 22.5 psi.

Next, I installed new Stoptech slotted rotors with HPS pads all around, then I dropped the car off at the body shop to get the front bumper, hood, and fenders repainted to get rid of all the rock chips. Brand new SE lip painted and installed, along with new fender liners. New windsheild, and painted the roof/vg black like my old car. So with the exception of a JDM rear (coming soon), the exterior is done.

Last night I finished the planned power parts ordering by getting another HKS carbon Ti catback, Megan V2 downpipe, Mil.Spec 100 cell race cat, Walbro 255, and Sparktech COP. When these come in, I'll be installing them along with the Forge WGA, and Megan O2 housing I have laying around, then it's off to see Kevin D for another tune.

Oh, and last but not least, while the car was in the body shop I had a 6 speed built by TRE, and it's now waiting at Kevin's shop to be put in along with a new ACT HDSS and ACT Streetlite flywheel.

The only thing left will be to get another set of coilovers, and have the car corner balanced, and aligned, and I'll be 100% back.

The moral of the story is, never sell your EVO. I'd post pics of the new car, but it looks exactly like the old one only stock height.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome back bro.what's the deal with 335?ain't it animal when it's tuned?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wth? The buyer of your original evo IX mr sold it immediately after? I would be pissed! you're in good hands with kevinD. Maybe a roll cage for the streets? Not his signature pikes peak version. Wished I could find a very low miles stock one in GGP, too!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by egis
Welcome back bro.what's the deal with 335?ain't it animal when it's tuned?
It's no EVO. It was a beautiful car, especially after I modded it, but the handling wasn't there, and it was too soft. I originally bought this EVO to be a race car only, but I started driving it all the time and the BMW sat except when I went out on weekends. I couldn't see spending all that money on a car just to drive it a couple times a week, so I got rid of it.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome Back. Although I bet you would have enjoyed an X GSR over the MR SE. Good to be back in an Evo though.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool to be back huh? have fun again bro!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
wth? The buyer of your original evo IX mr sold it immediately after? I would be pissed! you're in good hands with kevinD. Maybe a roll cage for the streets? Not his signature pikes peak version. Wished I could find a very low miles stock one in GGP, too!
what? no, he's still got it. I wish he would have sold it back to me. I think you misread something in there lol Yeah, Kevin did all the work on my first car, and has done all the work on this car so far. I have been dealing with Kevin since he was working on cars in his one car garage with 10 EVO's in his yard and receiving threats from his homeowner's community haha

Originally Posted by Sev
Welcome Back. Although I bet you would have enjoyed an X GSR over the MR SE. Good to be back in an Evo though.
I doubt that. I wanted the twin clutch transmission. What I didn't like was the extra size, weight, and crappy interior on the new car. It just wasn't for me. EVO IX for life.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:45 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
ODUB!

Welcome back, we missed ya, bud.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
ODUB!

Welcome back, we missed ya, bud.
lol thanks man. I didn't actually go anywhere though haha. I've been around. Just meant that I'm almost back to the status of my old car. I still love this site though. Even if I'm not posting, I'm always scrolling...and judging.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome back again. Lol. Back for the first time.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
I'm always scrolling...and judging.