Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help on a used evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on a used evo

I was looking at a used evo that was recently posted here in central Florida. I've been looking for an evo IX MR since I moved here to the states and was hoping maybe some of you guys here in the forum could help me out.

Does this look like a good deal. I am going to go check out the car this weekend.
There are some things I find odd.

Here is a link to the ad
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

VIN: JA3AH86C06U055769
Now I checked out the vin using the forum decoder and it does show up as a 2006
lancer evolution but fails to specify the trim

Carfax by dealer
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_0

Engine bay
looks like the strut bar was removed, aftermarket AF, and I cant seem to locate the battery based on the photos sent to me by the dealer

Exterior
Black painted brembos, aftermarket wheels, and an oddly placed weird looking MR badge

Interior
Looks like after market seats or seats very similar to an evo vii, and a 5speed MR
is this for real? Im having high hopes that this is just an aftermarket knob but yeah..

Also aftermarket gauges. those dont look like the RS OEM gauges.

Link to interior and under the hood photos.
http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/ma...?sort=3&page=1

Anyways I was just hoping to get some insight on what you guys thought about the car and if it was a good deal or if I should even bother taking a look at it.

Thanks!!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Aem wideband and maybe the other two are defi? The RSI model didn't come with special gauges, that's the mr. It's probably on speed density since it has a vta valve. Also the seats look like regular blue evo 8 seats that were dyed black.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by djdnav
Aem wideband and maybe the other two are defi? The RSI model didn't come with special gauges, that's the mr. It's probably on speed density since it has a vta valve. Also the seats look like regular blue evo 8 seats that were dyed black.
would you say this is a good deal? my goal would be to get it back to stock if it indeed was an authentic MR
Old Aug 16, 2013, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I myself am an Evo 8 owner, but from looking at the pictures it seems legit. I wish i could tell you definitely that it is an MR, but many of the MR emblazened trim pieces can be bought online from numerous places. It's hard to see if it has the vortex generator which that comes stock, but again, that can be either removed or swapped out depending on the previous owner.

The engine bay is amazingly clean, possibly pressure washed or you could go as far as saying thats an entirely new engine because everything is soooo clean. Even the exhaust manifold is still silver. The battery has probably been relocated to the trunk. I see what is most likely upper and lower aftermarket intercooler intake piping thats using speed density since there isn't a MAF sensor after the filter. There's an aftermarket BOV, a hallman manual boost controller, Brian Crower BC adjustable suspension, aftermarket radiator mounts, and the throttle cable has been repositioned for the cleaner look. The speed density means the car has most likely been to a tuner or tuned by the previous owner.

The interior look like the MR. I see the carbon fiber dash kit, the silver pedal kit, and the silver e-brake handle. If it was an MR, the radio was relocated with the relocation kit and the MR gauges were ditched for the AEM wideband and two Prosport gauges installed in an aftermarket A/C & gauge cluster panel. That's also an aftermarket stereo head unit.

If someone find fault with my assessments, by all means, speak up.

The price is a little high IMO for the mileage, but that kind of comes with the territory of buying an Evo. It looks very clean IN THE PICTURES. Hope this helps, good luck with your purchase.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
the engine bay is clean because he sprayed it out, then wiped everything with wd40 or something. It's probably a ported/coated manifold, as to why the mani looks clean. everything the last guy says looks like whats on it.

Also it has an aftermarket rad fan, so it probably had a bigger turbo at one point. It also looks like he deleted a bunch of the emissions sensors that are usually attached to the intake mani. you could find a similar car with less mileage, but it does look at least like everything is there.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts
Looks kinda ghetto. Spray bomb on the valve cover? Who paints the Recaro's? Never mind the 2006 MR has suede, not fabric. Fishy.
But if you can take it for a rip and try it out...still fishy.
And yeah, lotsa guys swap the 6spd for a built 5.

Last edited by osetsky; Aug 16, 2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added model year
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

IMHO: Too many miles, too many mods and way too sketchy.

You can find a much cleaner and near stock Evo.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

I would try to get the price down to 15
Old Aug 16, 2013, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed that these cars are becoming very hard to find.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sev
IMHO: Too many miles, too many mods and way too sketchy.

You can find a much cleaner and near PUTBACK stock Evo.
Fixed.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by impact blue
I noticed that these cars are becoming very hard to find in good condition relatively unmolested.....looking.
Also fixed.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:55 AM

I bought a used evo back in march in Miami and went throught alot of crap with it. Make sure when you get it check out EVERYTHING even things u wouldnt normally think of. I posted in the newbie forum (evo 9 owner with problems :/). But anyway when I bought my car it had a problem with the purge solenoid and it wouldnt turn on after refilling. So if you can open the gas cap for a little bit then close it and try to start the car. I was told this was a common problem. Also when you test drive it go on a nice drive. Not just around the block. I neglected to do that and on the way back to orlando the CEL came on. Just wanna make sure you dont get screwed over like I did
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:49 AM

1-888-MITSU2013 (1-888-648-7820) Call them and tell them you are buying the car and want to check the VIN. They will tell you EVERYTHING about the car down to the color it was sold.

That's an EVO X MR badge and a 5 speed. The 5 Speed swap isn't unheard of, but an easy way to check is see if it has an aluminum roof. take a magnet, if you check the car out, and see if it sticks. Ask for a picture of the roof. I believe the GSR roof doesn't have the to long fins running parallel to the doors like the Aluminum roof has.

Honestly if you're gonna buy a IX, don't waste the money on an MR that's had the MR suspension and transmission taken out of it. Cause you can buy a GSR with an aftermarket suspension and a 5 speed without the extra cost of being called an "MR". And without worrying about the fact that somebody took that car all apart to do an unncecessary transmission swap
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by illogicalmind
1-888-MITSU2013 (1-888-648-7820) Call them and tell them you are buying the car and want to check the VIN. They will tell you EVERYTHING about the car down to the color it was sold.
Cool. I didn't know that.

I agree with others OP, I think you can find better.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by illogicalmind
...but an easy way to check is see if it has an aluminum roof. take a magnet, if you check the car out, and see if it sticks. Ask for a picture of the roof. I believe the GSR roof doesn't have the to long fins running parallel to the doors like the Aluminum roof has.
+1 The one way to tell if this Evo is a MR is to check the roof. If you see the two ridges on the aluminium roof you know its a MR. They will be on each side and run parallel to each other. Meanwhile a GSR has a completely smooth roof.

This Evo also has an ABS system, so its not a RS.

This Evo has a lot of mods and I would see if you could take to a specialty Evo shop before you buy it. They would tell you if its a good deal or not. Also if they dont tell you all the mods that this Evo has then it might be better to walk away from this one. Also this Evo has the base seats. They were dyed black. The MR should have the leather bolsters with suede inserts.

Mods I see in the Engine Bay:
Speed Density Intake
Battery Relocation to the Trunk (maybe could be somewhere else)
Aftermarket Upper Intercooler Pipe (assuming lower would be also)
VTA Blow off Valve
painted valve cover
Throttle Cable Relocation
Inlet Air Temperature plug welded into the Intake Manifold
Aftermarket O2 housing
Powder Coated? Stock Exhaust Manifold
Manual Boost Controller

Quick Reply: Need help on a used evo