Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pics of the EVO 8 in Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
ev0racer wrote:
Since they're going to ditch the AYC and the ACD to keep the price sub 30k. Who's going to invest in a Cusco LSD? I'm going to anyway.
If they ditch AYC and ACD, they will make the car worthless. I am driving 95 TSi-AWD with a "few" mods, and there is no reason to go out and spend $30k or so to get the same thing. The whole hart of that car is the active differential setup and that is what makes that car to be what it is. Everything else is something that you can install on any other car and make it work.

So, no active stuff - no EVO 8 for me (that still doesn't exclude EVO 7 tough )!!

Mr AWD
Old Aug 21, 2002, 02:47 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, no, no.....auto is for the people who live in a city where bumper to bumper traffic exist. Beside I wanted a semi-auto that way weekdays "auto", weekend "+/-" . My 2 cent!!
Just trust me with a 2.0 L and especially with an turbo you dont' want an automatic. Have you driven an auto turbo car??? Lag up the wazooo. For the city you need a stick or a high torque car like a V8 mustang, F-bodies, or even a vette. The whole purpose of the stick is to dump the clutch at the launch to get out of the hole. And with the auto that awd system and torque converter will be wasted on fuel. Traffic is alot worst in asia and they surrived driving a stick and an automatic is still rare there as of today.

If you like a car like the evo why in the world would you be interested in an automatic. Seriously, the evo has a crap interior, small tank, probably crappy radio for a whopping 30 grand. Why i'm buying one? Performance. And an automatic is not that. Smg is ok.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With an automatic, you just point the car and it goes, with a manual, you actually get to drive it
Old Aug 21, 2002, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

Automatic (even if it's semi-automatic) + TURBO = big loss in horsepower. Right about the turbo lag. You don't buy a turbo car with an automatic.

I live in Chicago, and I know performance guys that drive manuals. It will make you a better driver.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

automatics = :crap:

Hey, for those of you asking about an auto I want to know if you guys have ever driven stick for more than a few months, cause everyone I know, myself included, will never go back to an automatic. Worse gas milage, no engine braking (downshifting), less power, more expensive, more weight; why you would even considering this car in an automatic is beyond me.

Old Aug 21, 2002, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ChicagoMike
Automatic (even if it's semi-automatic) + TURBO = big loss in horsepower. Right about the turbo lag. You don't buy a turbo car with an automatic.

I live in Chicago, and I know performance guys that drive manuals. It will make you a better driver.
Automatic + Turbo = great advantage on acceleration over manuals. No loss of boost during shiftchange, and error-proof. VeilSide, Top Secret, Waste, and other Japanese tuners use automatics as drag machine trannies (Supra TT, etc.) And besides, some people DO live in cities where driving manuals will be exhausting. It all comes down to personal preference.

So in the end you can't really tell someone not to buy a car with automatic tranny. Not everyone gets to drive in open road conditions, and not everyone wants to deal with driving with a clutch all the time.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:29 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

The evo is a high performance car and it will be limited. We are not telling you to get a stick but, we are telling mitsubishi not to bring the gta.

Most of us don't want that crap. And mitsubishi will probably not offer autos especially with a run of 4000 unit. If you want an automatic why not try regular lancer? No performance either way and save a bunch of money .

Automatic + Turbo = great advantage on acceleration over manuals
Automatics are slower. They use them for dragracing because manual have a hard time handling 1000+hp and a little thing called bracket racing. Name an automatic road race car if they are faster?

Last edited by gtr; Aug 21, 2002 at 08:32 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

ok the only car i can that i know of thats faster in automatic is a supra TT

but anyway, i can almost gaurentee that there will be no auto option. ala S2000

common you cant tell me that this (auto) is more fun than this (manual)
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:18 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

ok the only car i can that i know of thats faster in automatic is a supra TT
I don't recall. The last time i seen the stats were autos run 13.7 and manual 13.5. Torque brake up to 4 grand or something. Which the rear wheel hp difference the stick is faster. Yes, auto shift faster but with a decent stick driver with powershifting the auto is lost. The more aggressive 6speed gearing helps out.

THey are more consistant for drag racing but, how could you say auto is faster
Old Aug 23, 2002, 05:33 PM

Well, You have to realize that the demographic the car is shooting towards is college students to early 30's. Most of those people are Rally Purists. I'll sure as **** still test the Evo VIII when it comes. I drive a 93 Mitsu GSX with a few mods as well, but the evos coming over with a little more power. I've talked to a few of the people that are thinking of buying the evo and the first thing they said they're going to do is deactivate the AYC and the ACD. Simply, because they're purists. And would like to buy a rally car....to rally.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 12:18 PM

if you want a rally car to rally then get the RS, everyone else here wants the GSR, which would include the AYC and ACD.

also about the auto's, look at the WRX. runs a mid 14 bone stock, then an auto bone stock runs 1 second slower. will bring over the option of auto but in small numbers. personally for the people who want auto and never drove a stick, try it first cause once you get the auto theres no going back.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by ChicagoMike

Have you ever driven a Syclone or Typhoon? A Auto with high stall convertor will be faster than a stick off the line anyday. A Auto is superior to any stick when it comes to intial take off. Its not until you get into a road course that a stick is superior. And 90% of Evo purchasers will never see a road course.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Faster than a stick off the line? I don't think so. If you get good traction..a stick will launch harder off the line plain and simple. How can you launch any harder than a 6000rpm clutch drop?
Believe me, I have been racing cars for 15 years. My 10 second street Mustang has an Art Carr C4 automatic with reverse manual valve body, 3500 rpm nitrous convertor, and trans brake. I don't run this transmission because it launches harder than a stick IT DOESN'T. I run it for consistency, the strength of this particular trans, and the peace of mind of not missing a shift when I have 225hp shot of nitrous flowing
Old Aug 24, 2002, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DSM = Lancer? No.

I am driving 95 TSi-AWD with a "few" mods, and there is no reason to go out and spend $30k or so to get the same thing. The whole hart of that car is the active differential setup and that is what makes that car to be what it is.
The Evolution RS does not come standard with the ACD and I do not believe a DSM chassis is the same thing. I think the EVO chassis has superior stifness and handling prowess not inherent in the 95-99 DSM chassis.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

You are right though, about being able to improve over the factory performance #'s, etc. out of a different stall convertor.

Quick Reply: Pics of the EVO 8 in Las Vegas