Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

when to tune?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when to tune?

I have a 03 evo 8
i recently added hard piping for upper and lower intercooler a full greddy exhaust, ets intercooler and greddy BOV. I wana get it tuned so i can get some decent gains and still be a daily driver. Is there any other small things im missing before a base tune?
yes im a noob the more help the better
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
u need walbro fuel pump 255lph and boost controller.not sure about your bov,i would stick with metal deverter valve.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
snoevo

Are you in Salinas, CA? I'm from Monterey.

Back OT: I'd get a boost controller, 3 port, MBC or both. With that said I've tuned quite a few with basic mods like yours and the inj duty cycles are getting quite high on the stock inj. I'd get some bigger inj. Being in CA you may want to jump to the FIC 1100 along with the Walbro FP as you can switch to E85 with a tune without having to upgrade your fuel system (as long as you stay with the small turbo).
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Definitely fuel pump, although I would go with a Deatschworks pump instead of Walbro as they're not as loud. Boost control if you want it. If you aren't going to bump the boost too high you'll be fine with your stock injectors and an upgraded fuel pump.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by PureDrivePerformance
snoevo

Are you in Salinas, CA? I'm from Monterey.

Back OT: I'd get a boost controller, 3 port, MBC or both. With that said I've tuned quite a few with basic mods like yours and the inj duty cycles are getting quite high on the stock inj. I'd get some bigger inj. Being in CA you may want to jump to the FIC 1100 along with the Walbro FP as you can switch to E85 with a tune without having to upgrade your fuel system (as long as you stay with the small turbo).
Yeah from Salinas, I was also looking into where to get a tune. I keep hearing fftech but its pretty far. I just bought the walbro fuel pump. After installing my intercooler my car idles bad n bogs out. So that's another main reason for the tune
Old Aug 31, 2013, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by snowevo
Yeah from Salinas, I was also looking into where to get a tune. I keep hearing fftech but its pretty far. I just bought the walbro fuel pump. After installing my intercooler my car idles bad n bogs out. So that's another main reason for the tune
I would check your clamps and couplings on your fmic. Was your car idling bad before you swapped the fmic? If your car was fine before you installed the fmic it should still be fine after, how does the car run, does it boost up the same ?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I would check your clamps and couplings on your fmic. Was your car idling bad before you swapped the fmic? If your car was fine before you installed the fmic it should still be fine after, how does the car run, does it boost up the same ?
^ This. An intercooler won't affect idle/bogging.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

255 fuel pump like everyone saying. And a afr gauge and if you don't already a boost gauge will help a lot. And I say get a boost controller cheap and a must in the future and now for the tune.