Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Autometer Gauges...
Good
71.51%
Bad
8.94%
Had and replaced
5.59%
Bought Other Brand
13.97%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Autometer Gauges...Good...Bad...What's the story???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an Autometer gauge mounted on a pod in my steering column and it is perfect size. Bushar racing using the same gauge on there EVO so you know it works well.

Old Mar 1, 2004, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

my autometer egt in my wrx worked great , the clock however didnt work the best...but atleast the imporant one worked all the time
Old Mar 4, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i have seen the autometer go off.. 1 psi off on boost gauge is definetly nothing to cry over but definetly something you should take notice
Old Mar 4, 2004, 09:35 AM

I have Autometer Pro-Comp Ultralight Boost and A/F guages. They both work very well. The most impressive thing was the customer service. I called them when I couldn't find a fitting that would tee the included nylon line into my manifold vacuum line. They sent out a high-quality brass tee with a compression fitting for free, no questions asked. They were so prompt, it made me feel like I was the crew chief for Erndhart Racing. (NASCAR uses Autometer Pro-Comp gauges exclusively)
Very good experience.

However, I also have a Greddy Peak/Hold EGT gauge, and the quality is *incredible*! Everything from the stainless-steel braided cables, to the gauge, to the high quality interface box, to all the little adhesive pads and ajustment tool.... just top-notch.

The peak-hold feature is very useful, since it is usually impossible to look at the gauges all the time when you are driving. I don't think I would buy another gauge without that feature now. In the case of the Greddy EGT gauge, I got what I paid for.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mifesto
yeah i have seen the autometer go off.. 1 psi off on boost gauge is definetly nothing to cry over but definetly something you should take notice
Did you actually check it against another, known accurate, gauge? Otherwise, there is no way to know.... Of course, if the needle actually moves off the zero mark with the engine off, I'd replace the gauge...
Old Mar 5, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

bought the new cobalt series egt gauge. It lasted me one week and now it doesn't light up anymore. Call autometer and they said I have to send it back and it will take around 1-2 weeks till I get it back. Cause it has led lights and you can't change them yourself. Pretty sorry, I will never buy another autometer product.

Should have know better since the last boost gauge I bought from them was off by 3 psi.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

My autometer gauge has been nothing but perfect. No complaints here.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

I've had good luck with their gauges.

My only question is their pyrometer, from what I understand, the sender doesn't respond as fast as others. But you can always get a new more accurate sender for more money.

IMO, you can't beat the price/performance of autometer.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
I use autometer gauges exclusively.. But there **IS** a difference between the Cobolt, Carbon, Autogage, etc line and the premium series gauges, Ultralight, Sport-Comp, and Pro-Comp.. Keep that in mind.. the latter are high quality premium gauges which are accurate, and tested extensively. The other ones are more of an eye-candy gauge which works and is accurate, but the quality and durability just aren't as good.

I've been using Sport-Comp and Pro-Comp gauges for almost 20 years now.. they are attractive looking, stand up to the abuse of hardcore racing, rarely fail (I only had one gauge ever fail, and it was electric, but was replaced at no charge)

You hit the autometer answer right on the head. Most of the complaints and negatives about autometer seem to be with the lower end products and not their actual competition ones.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

My Autometer Carbon Ultra Lite ones seem to be working great...now all I have to do is an oil change so I can do my oil pressure sender! LOL
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Its all about the bling bling. =)
Old Aug 9, 2004, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

i have a autometer boost gauge and although my flash was set at 19.5 the reading on the meter shows 21 psi. bad gauge or what???
not sure.....comments please
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

bought autometer boost gauge. worked for about a week. Then when I turn the car off the needle would always rest at 10 vacum. Sent it in they replaced same problem. Sent the 2nd one in and told them to keep it. Bought a Defi gauge and have ot had any problems since.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

my autometer boost gauges reads ~1psi higher. Aem Ems reads 23psi and the autometer boost gauges reads 24psi.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. Heres my take on it. I dont know how accurate other guages are, but with my autometer boost/vacuum guage, according to the dyno at xs-engineering my boost guage us reading about 1-2 psi low. I guess they are good for cars with low boost, but when u boost as high as us 20psi+ i dont think they are accurate enough.

Quick Reply: Autometer Gauges...Good...Bad...What's the story???