Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Autometer Gauges...
Good
71.51%
Bad
8.94%
Had and replaced
5.59%
Bought Other Brand
13.97%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Autometer Gauges...Good...Bad...What's the story???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autometer Gauges...Good...Bad...What's the story???

Ok...what's the story guys???

Lot of people seem to not like the Autometer Gauges. Why? I know some people will say they are crap...but please...I'm looking for reasons why they are...not just cuz they are.

If you had some in your car and replaced them with something else, please say why and what you replaced them with.

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:41 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

I voted good but would have preferred to vote 'OK.' Autometer does not have a stellar reputation for making accurate gauges but it does the job for me. Stock the gauge read 19 and now it reads 20 and any variation in that would let me know problems are arising so it does its job perfectly. I don't really care if the actual PSI is 20.5 or 19.5 and will worry about small fluctuations like that when I start actually making some decent power.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

I've used the Autometer Ultralight mechanical boost gauge in my last 3 cars. Never had any problems. I'm using the 30 psi version in the Evo. It was accurate when tested in 2 separate dyno sessions. The cost is very reasonable.

If you're willing to spend the money, the Defi setup is the way to go.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:51 AM
slt
Evolved Member

My boost guage works fine. It reads exactly what the dyno read. Just don't get a norrow band a/f guage, its the most annoying waste of money.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I used to have an autometer gauge for RPM's on an old mopar vehicle of mine, worked ok was ugly but worked fine =)
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by slt
My boost guage works fine. It reads exactly what the dyno read. Just don't get a norrow band a/f guage, its the most annoying waste of money.
Are all of their A/F gauges narrow band?
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

i have a autometer boost guage. The 30 psi vacuum/boost one. It not only matches the factory guages beautifully but it works perfectly too. Anyone who says their autometer guage was innacurate had it INSTALLED WRONG. Also im sure all guages are like this, but if the pod the guage is sitting in is squeezing it too tight, the guage wont read properly. So make sure u dont do that.
Best part about the guages are they are cheap $$$ wise. Go autometer all the way. They might not be as fancy as some of those guages out there, but they do the job just fine.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

I think that the people that knock them are the ones who bought more expensive gauges and feel better when given the chance to justify it. Autometer gauges deliver a good product a good price. Nothing more, nothing less... If you want more accurate or better quality then step it up to Defi or whatever, but it certainly isn't absolutely necessary.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the Autometer's, but ditched them for Defi BF gauges. Yes I know that that's a big price difference... but I was tired of the wiring mess and the control boxes and sensors going bad on me. Defi has a control unit that has less wiring, you can record runs and peaks, it's a very nice setup you should consider.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Reason why I am asking is because I already bought the Carbon Fiber Ultra Lite Boost 30 psi/vac, EGT, and Oil Pressure. I didn't wanna install them in the next month if they are crap ya know. I would have LOVED to get some Defi's...but I have heard of only limited problems there too. I have heard more problems with the Autometer ones though.

I know that not all brands will be perfect...I'm in retail sales and know that even the best items have flaws. Not expecting perfection...although it would be nice.

I'm probably going to stick with these...but yeah...it would be nice to be able to afford some high $$ ones like Defi, Omori, and such

Thanks for all the responses so far...let's keep it going. Love to get a good feel for all of the ones out there
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Now all I need is for Lancershop.com to get those Grey 3 Gauge A-Pillar Pods in....GOD I have been waiting since August!!! I know it's only a few weeks away...but damn it's been so long!!! LOL Seems like it's never gonna come in!
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

They're pretty middle of the road from everything I've read/heard. Never had an Autometer myself. Obviously not going to help you much now, but VDO is certainly an inexpensive but accurate way to go (And I do have experience with their boost and EGT gauges and EGT probe). They even make a lot of OE gauges and clusters.

No, they don't make a wideband, but their AF gauges are commonly modified to work with WBO2 sensors.

I don't think Autometer's gauge quality is questionable so much as the quality of their sensors and senders, but I really don't have any in-depth info on this so I'll leave it at speculation.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

I use the Autometer Comp series and they work just fine. Using the Sport Comp EGT probe and it hasn't failed me in the 1 year I have had it on. Autometer gauges are decent for the money.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

I had the apexi el gauges in my last car and on my evo i went with autometer and like it has been said it matches the factory gauges and works perfectly. I see no need to spend a bunch of money on gauges that dont even look the same as the factory ones.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had several Autometer gauges in the past and I have one now in my car. They all seemed to work just fine, I'm sure from time to time you can get a dud, but that's gonna be the case with almost any product. Autometer has been making gauges for a long time and if they were crap I'm sure they'd not be in business this long.

Quick Reply: Autometer Gauges...Good...Bad...What's the story???