Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Battery Problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Problem

Just got a brand new battery in the mail that I ordered. I want to say it's a bad battery because, well, it won't start my car. I took the battery to AutoZone to try charging it but after an hour of being on the charger the battery terminals only got hot. The battery never charged. I couldn't tell you what kind of battery it is. I ordered it from BR. It's not the Lithium-Ion battery on their website though. It's the black one that use to be on their website. It's similar to the Odyssey PC680, it's just not orange. Anyways, could this brand new battery really be bad? I read on STM's website that the posts need to be torqued to 50 inch-pounds or the battery could fail. I tightened my posts pretty well, didn't use a torque wrench though. I don't think that's the problem. Any ideas? Has this ever happened to anyone else, a brand new battery not charging or even holding a charge?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Hey vitech,

Do you know if the battery is an AGM or gel type battery?

Sealed batteries are definitely more unreliable than a typical lead-acid battery,
and thats not including cold weather.
I think you would find the failure rate to be much higher
out of the factory.

Is there any markings on the battery?
I'm thinking it might be possible to find a quality control marking/inspection# within the plastic or like a time stamp to show when it was made.

You said its brand new and you ordered it from BR, but that they dont sell it anymore? Maybe the battery has been sitting on the shelf awhile before you bought it.

Last edited by Jimmy Javelin; Sep 7, 2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Well I'm not 100% sure but I imagine it's an AGM. The only marking is the Buschur Racing logo on the top so that doesn't really tell me too much. BR still sells them as they regularly have them in stock, they just aren't on their website.

I plan on relocating the battery to the trunk so I can use a full-sized battery in the very near future. Still, it would be really nice have a battery that works right now. I might just try slow charging it but the terminals just get hot because the power isn't going anywhere.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not all autozones have the charger for AGM batteries, and the ones that do might not guarantee they will stick yours in bin with the agm charger if their only one is being used, or they are really busy, or don't care cause they want to sell you a battery. If Autozone didn't ruin the battery then there is still a chance you might be able to revive a battery. You just need to find a slow charger, one that can do like a 2 amp charge for an AGM battery.

AGM batteries really shouldn't go bad, in theory they should last almost forever... in theory. I have revived agm batteries that were over 7 years old, died on previous owner, and clearly failed the tester. Sometimes I have had to keep charging it but it would eventually pass and had one that I swapped into the work vehicle in an emergency that ended up lasting a few years more and kept going.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't know that thanks. I'll pick up a charger then. I still wonder why it didn't come charged.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ch53avitech
Didn't know that thanks. I'll pick up a charger then. I still wonder why it didn't come charged.

When you received the battery did you make sure not to over torque the terminal posts when you put them on? On these small batteries they are pretty much gonna be almost hand tightened, if you go to snug it down even a bit too tight you can damage the battery without really knowing it, and that goes the same for when you tighten down the battery cables as well--- ask me how I know.