Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird AC problems. 2 Fold

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a half cut radiator so no fan for A/C condenser for me.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I reached out to Aaron from English Racing and he said he is not aware of any way to control the AC compressor from the ECU but he hadn't looked either, so........
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

without the AC/condersor fan, or the control switch. The Ac will work, but at idle or in traffic you will over heat, the air wont be cool. When on the highway or cruising air is flowing thru the condensor and thus, the ac works great.

Ways to check the AC,

First check refriderant level, With AC on, Full blast.

Pass, ok, Check to make sure compressor is running, [clutch check]

Fail check, clutch, power at compressor, Dryer switch. you can jump your dryer switch with a wire
its almost never a relay issue.
If all that checks out, and the air is still not working right, make sure the condensor coil is clean and free of debris.

also if you AC is overfilled with refriderant it wont run correctly, it will go on/off intermitantly

Last edited by blowngasket; Sep 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our problem is that the a/c works just fine when we're moving and not fine when at a stand still. All because the compressor clutch isn't being told to come on while we are at a stand still. However as soon as the wheels are turning, the compressor clutch comes on.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blowngasket
without the AC/condersor fan, or the control switch. The Ac will work, but at idle or in traffic you will over heat, the air wont be cool. When on the highway or cruising air is flowing thru the condensor and thus, the ac works great.

Ways to check the AC,

First check refriderant level, With AC on, Full blast.

Pass, ok, Check to make sure compressor is running, [clutch check]

Fail check, clutch, power at compressor, Dryer switch. you can jump your dryer switch with a wire
its almost never a relay issue.
If all that checks out, and the air is still not working right, make sure the condensor coil is clean and free of debris.

also if you AC is overfilled with refriderant it wont run correctly, it will go on/off intermitantly
Thanks for the info. I am going to try this tomorrow.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you tried unplugging the clutch switch to see if it works at idle that way?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Have you tried unplugging the clutch switch to see if it works at idle that way?

I'm confused at the question, Freddie. Are you wanting me to unplug the pressure switch and jump it or unplug the a/c clutch and apply power to see if it works?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

So at idle, when u start the car what is your idle?
then what is it when the AC is on? so if you rev your engine the clutch engages on the AC?
is the AC compressor not getting power at idle? if it is you have a clutch issue, if not you have a electrical issue, *Target idle Ac/On*
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
So at idle, when u start the car what is your idle?
then what is it when the AC is on? so if you rev your engine the clutch engages on the AC?
is the AC compressor not getting power at idle? if it is you have a clutch issue, if not you have a electrical issue, *Target idle Ac/On*
I idle around 1000-1300. It doesn't change when the AC is on. Its NOT getting power at idle but it turns on when the car is moving. I KNOW its not a clutch issue. Its def. electrical but it only affects the the compressor at idle. Once you move it turns on. Thats why I thought it was in the ECU.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Same here. Rpm doesn't matter. Clutch doesn't engage at speed 0. When vehicle is moving, engages just fine.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RPM may play a part, at least on VIII's. Don't know if it's different for the the IX's but the FSM for my VIII has an idle up ops check in the HVAC section.

Something about the ecu determining compressor load through whether or not your idle is within the standard value.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

I found one bit on ecuflash that references AC, just not sure if its what I think it is.

I've now developed a fuel leak (I guess 40+ psi will do that) so I have got more pressing matters at the moment and I'm heading out of town for work for a week so I will have to back burner this atm. IF someone has a ECU setting that may resolve this I'm willing to give it a try, I'll be checking this thread feverishly.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have checked and tried everything but the ecu..I still can't figure it out. Lately it has been working fine, but eventually returns to blowing hot air.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

You're having this issue as well? I sent message to Tephra but I doubt he'll respond. I can't believe this is the first time anyone has brought this up but I can't any info on this as it relates to the ECU.

Do you have the same problem we have (Compressor doesn't turn on at idle but works when you start rolling.

I'll try the one bit I found and flash my ECU tomorrow.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Sep 14, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

yeah that wasnt it.

Quick Reply: Weird AC problems. 2 Fold