Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Balance Shaft

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balance Shaft

Hey guys

I'm looking to possibly buy an 05 Evo 8. I haven't contacted the owner yet, but on his ad he said that there was a knock coming from the engine. He said his mechanic said a bearing broke in the balance shaft which is causing the knock. Is there any way to know for sure that's what's causing the knock? I've seen elimination kits and I know the balance shaft isn't necessary but if a bearing did break would it do any damage to anything else? I wouldn't mind putting some work into it, I'm looking for a project anyways. I just want to make sure it wont cost me a ton of money. Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's very interesting. I don't know how he'd know a bearing broke on the balance shaft. Maybe he can feel play when he took off the lower timing belt cover or had a stethoscope in that region. Engine builders please lend us your expertise.

Basically if a bearing(s) is/are bad/shavings, then it's time to take the engine apart and rebuild. Also a new oil cooler is in order.

I'd say it would be a lot of money, depending on your perspective of what a lot of money is. I'd get some quotes for a built engine, remove/replace, etc and deduct that from the price you would offer if the engine was ok. GL.

Also, which model is it?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:16 PM

Thanks for your input. I believe it's a GSR if that helps.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Schmenk
Thanks for your input. I believe it's a GSR if that helps.
All models have the same engine.

Anyway, you are buying a car that most likely requires an engine. If you can make the right deal and have the where-with-all do what is required, you are buying what is becoming a classic. Otherwise run.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

just the bottom end would need rebuilt. meaning machine work pistons etc. can run you up to 4k in the end. doubt he would be willing to drop it down that far. my suggestion is wait until you find something mechanically sound, that way all you HAVE to do is throw on whatever tickles your fancy
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, if its making any noise, it would require a tear down anyway.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if the owner is on the forum or not, but it's an 05 with 75k and clean title. He's asking $10.5. So if it cost $4k for a rebuild it would be $14.5, which is pretty reasonable, isn't it?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by askb
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if the owner is on the forum or not, but it's an 05 with 75k and clean title. He's asking $10.5. So if it cost $4k for a rebuild it would be $14.5, which is pretty reasonable, isn't it?
This was my old account that I couldn't remember so I made a new one when I was on my computer. I tried replying with my phone and it must have stayed logged in under that account this whole time. Sorry for any confusion, but this was me that posted that.