Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

throttle body clean weird idle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
throttle body clean weird idle

cleaned my throttle body, with cleaner and cleaned the entire body. even the gray stuff.

after installing it car runs weird but no boost leaks in throttle after I installed it

is there a spray i need to apply to the throttle body I guess to seal the extra air coming pass the butterfly? want to take care of this so my car can run normal

or should I adjust the tables to compensate for the extra air

need some help
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drive it some and let the ecu readjust. If it doesn't fix itself, then worry about adjusting the tune.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
search....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-sealing.html
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did the same thing, I wiped that tb clean! afterwards, found out about the sealer. I had issues for a while, even bought a boomba throttlebody, as it was cheaper than a stocker. was good until smog. took a chance and re-installed the old throttle body, and it felt ok again. steps I did after the install, I did a koeo ( key on, engine off relearn procedure), and the idle has been rock solid for 3 years. no adding goop or anything. turn key to run position, but don't start the car, then turn the key back to off. do that a total of 3 times. on the third time, start the car and run until full operating temp. before moving the car. you should do it with the ac off and redo the procedure with a/c on to compensate. this worked for me. good luck brother.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06ebevo
I guess you didnt read my thread correctly, thanks for thread considering I already rebuilt my throttle body using this thread.

And I cant find this spray so i am looking for a replica

Molykote 321 dry film lubricant" which I was not able to purchase due to some type of restriction... however If you cannot find that, this product is a suitable replacement:
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steven121
I guess you didnt read my thread correctly, thanks for thread considering I already rebuilt my throttle body using this thread.

And I cant find this spray so i am looking for a replica

Molykote 321 dry film lubricant" which I was not able to purchase due to some type of restriction... however If you cannot find that, this product is a suitable replacement:

I made the same mistake cleaning off the molybdenum dry lubricant. I also live in a state the molykote is restricted for sale. I wound up using something specifically for throttle bottles... Tomei throttle coat. The one vendor i found that carried it had to order it from japan and took 2 weeks to get it. There was also a thread where someone used another brand of a molybdenum spray that wasn't restricted for sale and worked well on the throttle bodies.

Last edited by rcheung; Sep 12, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Ill just go on google then,

So you just spray it on, or do you apply a few coats
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Ill just go on google then,

So you just spray it on, or do you apply a few coats
The cap comes with a brush and you just brush it on. Brush on as many coats as you need until you dont see light through the butterfly valve.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cleaned off my tb and plate with brake parts cleaner and a scrub brush then ported and polished the intake side of it. I never sprayed any kind of lube on it and it runs fine. Should I find some of this TB spray and spray it?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you rebuilt the TB rt? I am almost certain it isnt lube, likely 'other" issues are the buttlerfly not being exactly centered and therefore open more then it was when you took it off or the TPS isnt exactly back where it should be or seals not positioned correctly and leaking--- my bet is on one or all of these. GL
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read the thread. You can use any moly spray.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
So you rebuilt the TB rt? I am almost certain it isnt lube, likely 'other" issues are the buttlerfly not being exactly centered and therefore open more then it was when you took it off or the TPS isnt exactly back where it should be or seals not positioned correctly and leaking--- my bet is on one or all of these. GL

Tps is ar 13.33%
No leaks
Butterfly is centered
I think its the spray that cane to the conclusion now I have to look
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Read the thread. You can use any moly spray.
That simply isn't true. I went through many moly sprays and did not find one that was able to ship in my state that sufficiently sealed the throttle plate. The problem is most of the sprays dont include enough molydenum in them.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 89Saleen141
I cleaned off my tb and plate with brake parts cleaner and a scrub brush then ported and polished the intake side of it. I never sprayed any kind of lube on it and it runs fine. Should I find some of this TB spray and spray it?
If you only cleaned off the intake side and didn't clean it from behind you would have an issue since the lube is behind the throttle plate. Also some throttle plates seal better than others so some people will have no issue after cleaning the plate and some people will have huge issues.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Tps is ar 13.33%
No leaks
Butterfly is centered
I think its the spray that cane to the conclusion now I have to look
While i was having my issue i read a thread on a gtr forum which eric hsu from xs engineering posted he used testers model paint and used a very thin coat around where the butterly meets the throttle body walls and it did the trick. I had other issues with my tb at the time so could not confirm it if worked

Quick Reply: throttle body clean weird idle