Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock IX tail light alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stock IX tail light alignment issues

Has anyone else tried to install factor IX taillights recently and have alignment issues lately?

My IX got clipped in a parking lot by a 16 year old in a work truck about a month ago. He managed to hit the driver's side quarter, bumper, and taillight right where they all intersect.

The bodyshop has visually lined up the bumper and quarter panels, but when we go to install a new stock tail the bottom leading edge sticks out about 1/4" from the body still.

We tried 2 different sets of stock lights from the dealer and both did the same thing. The original light is chipped off right where we're having the issue but it looks like it would line up if it were still whole.

Has anyone else experienced possibly messed up mitsu taillights from the factory recently, or is my bodyshop just having a hard time getting the body lines right / i'm cursed?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Your body lines are incorrect
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Your body lines are incorrect
This
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

That's what I figured, but wanted to check to make sure they are not over looking a production issue. Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trojan man

My IX got clipped in a parking lot by a 16 year old in a work truck about a month ago. He managed to hit the driver's side quarter, bumper, and taillight right where they all intersect.

Has anyone else experienced possibly messed up mitsu taillights from the factory recently, or is my bodyshop just having a hard time getting the body lines right / i'm cursed?

come on dude. u got in an accident and u think mitsu factory messed up on production alignment and your body shop guy did it right?

they didnt JUST RECENTLY make the IX....
Old Sep 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sujinX
come on dude. u got in an accident and u think mitsu factory messed up on production alignment and your body shop guy did it right?

they didnt JUST RECENTLY make the IX....
Sorry, I didn't realize you understood the parts supply chain and manufacturing tolerances of an oem car maker better than I did. Oh wait, I see this type of stuff happen daily, which is why I asked the question. because parts do go out of spec sometimes. Thanks for the help though, dude.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
sad to say but it was definitely caused by the accident
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, that's what i had feared. They are realigning the panels now to get it back in line. hopefully it works out.

And to be clear, I know the light that came with the car stock fit properly. My question is about whether anyone ordering a REPLACEMENT lense recently had run into a similar issue. I realize mitsu didn't release the car with a lens sticking out, but I wasn't sure if the factory replacement parts could have gone out of spec since they are usually the last units off of the production line before the tooling is retired.

Thanks all. I'll post back hopefully next week if they can get the panels lined up. If not, i'm sure what i'll do. I doubt the kid's insurance will cover going to a second body shop and I don't want to pay out of pocket for sure.