Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What turbo setup to go with...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What turbo setup to go with...

I think after this season of driving the car all summer on the 6466, ported head, s3 cam, and ethanol, im just kind of over the setup. I love the power and how broad and hard it pulls to 9500, but I'm over streeting an 850 hp car. I don't wanna keep up with the maintenance schedule and tranny parts fund. I don't wanna deal with carrying around a laptop every time I want to floor it. I wanna make it a complete 7 day a week daily driver again. I'm just torn whether as to sell my current 6466 and buy a smaller precision say like a dbb 5858 that way I would just be able to bolt up a turbo and basically tune and make something around 550 hp fairly easily. Or if I want to sell the whole vband turbo kit and go back to a bolt on more low end power setup like an fp black and put a stock head on it with a bit smaller cams which I also think would be a more daily driver friendly setup and still make good power. I could sell the head/ valve/ cam setup I have on it now and easily be able to rebuild a stock head and maybe even put some decent valves in it. I haven't decided the clutch route but it will be something a little less aggressive. I've got a quartermaster 8 leg now, which is great for the track and out ripping on it, but not in traffic coming home from work on a Friday night lol. I'll probably still drive the thing on this setup until the weather gets a bit colder to and from work and stuff before I start taking it apart. I'm leaning towards just changing turbos and seeing how it drives with a different clutch before I pull the head again.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You cannot go wrong with a FP Black! They are great turbos. I know multiple people running the Exedy triple disc and like it a lot. It has a very stock feel to it and holds lots of power without lockout.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I think the pte dbb 5858 is a real nice setup.