Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice for my 2006 Evo RS after accident

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
After wrestling my hugely heavy transmission in an out for a clutch change I have a hard time believing pushing the car in a parking lot is going to hurt the drivetrain. It may be possible that the timing belt could skip from being pushed backwards in first gear but even that would surprise me.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:48 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sr20det91
My main concern wouldn't be the drivetrain. It would be the motor being spun backwards, our timing belts do not like being spun against the tensioner. It can cause the belt to lose tension and potentially knock the motor out of time. I would have them write up a timing belt replacement in the estimate just in case. I would say the diffs and tranny should be fine only being pushed the length of a parking space.
I agree with this totally-

We have seen cars with tragic results simply from a car being towed stationary in a trailer and rocking while left in gear (never do this lol)

I would have side cover pulled, check belt and tensioner- and compression etc- bad news can come from that- hopefully not!

otherwise cosmetics look fine for a normal body shop- we have a great local shop that does all of our work-

cb
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
But at the same time, the car being towed with either axle (or both axles) touching on the ground is a little bit different... the car is being pulled for at least a few miles. In this case, the car was in-gear and was pushed the distance of a parking space.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where should i get my bumper, hood, and headlights at? also how would upgrading to HID Headlights work and what would i need?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you opened the hood???
Like most of the people already told you, check with Mitsubishi, get a good evaluation and final list and prices in a Formal paper, they will look at the motors and others possible problems; that's going to be really high around 8K, and if the company pay go ahead outside and do it.

By sure you will need:
- Hood - try carbon fiber
- Headlight - try the HID with fog light
- Bumper - can be repaired but check the clamps and fits

to consider:
- Motor
- Radiator frame
- Radiator
- Fans
- Headers
- Sensors (ABS sensors are closed to the impact)
- Bumper support / bumper impact force
- Grill
- hoses / intercooler

if the fan was smashed.. be sure the turbo, motor and others should be checked.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 04:58 PM

Your car went from being worth 21k to 16-17k

I would ask for more money
Old Oct 9, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Srry thats a bad hit like everyone saying i would be worried about the drivetrain, but bring it too a mitsubishi shop have them quote you with all new oem parts and labor get a check from them and bring it too a body shop not the dealer as it might be cheaper and could always have money left over for upgrades.Also on here or online could get all those things at a better price dont go for dealer unless you absolutely have too
Old Oct 9, 2013, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

can you get a pic under the hood that will also help
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's basically what mine looked like a few years back when I got cut off so hard I couldn't avoid it. I totaled the other car (they ****ing deserved it), but mine was right around $6500 as well. I'd not worry about the cosmetic or suspension, the car will look like new and drive fine if you pick the right shop.

I will parrot the concerns of the motor being spun backward, however. Definitely have timing side inspected, though it looks like you've driven it already since it looks to have got home somehow.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by SUDDOTH 2
Where should i get my bumper, hood, and headlights at? also how would upgrading to HID Headlights work and what would i need?
In order to make HID Headlights work, you would just need to plug and play. It's simple as that, good luck. I hope it all works out for you.