Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice for my 2006 Evo RS after accident

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck Didnt put his park brake on and Drifted into my brothers All stock 2006 Evolution RS, Broke the right headlight and scratched the Bumper and dented it a little. what should he do.

Last edited by SUDDOTH 2; Jan 15, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You should first see if the car runs and what condition the drivetrain is in. pushed back a whole spot in first gear is no beuno
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
It looks like the hood and a headlight. In my opinion the rest can be repaired.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Check both the drive train and the chassis go for stock OEM h.I.D's get the bodywork done and you should be straight.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi body shop will return it to stock, but I would take it to them and get an estimate then have the truck company write you a check for that amount. Use that money to have someone else fix it the way you want it ( a different lip, etc.) and you should come out ahead. It wouldn't hurt to get more than one estimate and show them the highest. Sounds shady but they screwed up, not you. Just make sure all estimates are written and that they use Oem parts, not sorta-fit.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

I would be worried about the transmission or drivetrain from being pushed back.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah you could easily save a ton of money buying the parts online from places. Most likely the quote from a Mitsu dealer will be highest seeing they would go off MSRP and charge stupid labor rates. Id recommend mitsubishipartswarehouse.com as I have had good luck with them.

Good luck and hopefully you will come out ahead! Sorry you have to deal with the frustrations.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

My main concern wouldn't be the drivetrain. It would be the motor being spun backwards, our timing belts do not like being spun against the tensioner. It can cause the belt to lose tension and potentially knock the motor out of time. I would have them write up a timing belt replacement in the estimate just in case. I would say the diffs and tranny should be fine only being pushed the length of a parking space.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:22 AM

I'll reject check and request insurance process. You may need to get your drivetrain repair. I'll request new parts in case those are damage. Tranny and transfer.

Other ask for the money and repair everything by your own and avoid accident records.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't have Mitsu do the work, they charge way too much. Maybe have them give you a quote, but that's about it. The damage that can be seen in the pics is minor and cosmetic. Like everyone else has said, make sure the drivetrain and motor are good before they cut you a check. This happened to one of my evo's several years ago, it sucks..

Best of luck to you!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Was the car in gear when it was hit or was it in neutral?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's hard to say... beyond the obvious stuff that you mentioned, you'll never really know until you pull everything apart and look under it, and start installing replacement parts and find out if anything still isn't lining up, like if the bumper beam was tweaked even just a bit.

Since you mentioned being interested in upgrading to HIDs, I found these on a local forum (but he's selling it at a price with shipping):

http://www.socalevo.net/threads/2271...ght=headlights

That would be a nice addition, but just keep in mind the other hardware you'll need, like the headlight leveling switch, foglight switch, etc.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
Was the car in gear when it was hit or was it in neutral?
His car was in first gear, he said that in his first sentence.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, even though the going-in-reverse-when-in-gear thing is an issue, most shops aren't likely going to pull the whole transmission apart and inspect it. Not without a hefty deposit.

But as far as a "cheap" inspection goes, I suppose that they could at least drain the fluids and make sure that a bunch of teeth don't come out, right?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMdynamic
His car was in first gear, he said that in his first sentence.
Crap. I read his original thread when it happened and skimmed this one and didn't see it.

Seeing as how it was in gear I would definitely get the car checked out at a reputable shop. I would also call your insurance agent for advice in how to handle the situation. Your insurance won't be paying for it but perhaps they can offer some insight on how to protect you from getting screwed down the road if there are drivetrain issues.

Quick Reply: Need advice for my 2006 Evo RS after accident