Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Undertray Fasteners

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good question JDF.

BadBoyBeltran i'll let you know if i can't make something work. thanks for the offer.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:04 PM
JDF

I'll count up how many I need and pm you later for details.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by asasin79
its too bad that didn't use the same ones they used on the intake snorkel. those ones are cool all you have to do is push down and pop out.
They're cool until you push in too hard and shoot the pin out the other side and it falls down into that car. I did that the first time, luckily mine landed on the floor or somewhere I could find it. But I know others who weren't so lucky.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

HAHAHA. This is what happened to me when I took the trunk carpet out. They shot inside the car somewhere and I coulntt find them or get to them. I called mitsu for replacements and they said $3.00 a peach!!! Its a good thing I have this hole in the wall place that sells the nylon fasteners and the 8mm x 1.25 bolt that I used to change cams.

Originally posted by iodine23

They're cool until you push in too hard and shoot the pin out the other side and it falls down into that car. I did that the first time, luckily mine landed on the floor or somewhere I could find it. But I know others who weren't so lucky.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

robi, would you happen to have pics. i have been looking for spring clips online and have had no luck. thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran
HAHAHA. This is what happened to me when I took the trunk carpet out. They shot inside the car somewhere and I coulntt find them or get to them. I called mitsu for replacements and they said $3.00 a peach!!! Its a good thing I have this hole in the wall place that sells the nylon fasteners and the 8mm x 1.25 bolt that I used to change cams.

Doh that jogs my memory. I think that my incident also happened in the trunk. I shot the one on the left side into the hole between the trunk and the fender. Luckily it was that empty hole and I saw it laying down in there, so I manage to pick the stupid thing back out.

Whoever designed all these stupid clips must've been a sadist. I can picture some Japanese dude sitting in his cubicle at Mitsu HQ in Japan designing this thing.... "how can I make my mark on the Evo for the US? I know! I'll make an undertray that covers the front jack point and two hook that is a complete PITA to remove! It'll be clipped and screwed in, and since the car is so low you have to be a tiny person to get under there to get at the things. Just try getting at that when it's dark or wet outside! Take that, americans! "

Then he goes and shows his design to the guy designing the trunk liner and that guy realizes what an incredibly wonderful idea that is and decides to use it again. He also decides to add some exceptionally stubborn fasteners to hold on the trim piece covering the bumper bolts. Ones that make it fel like you're going to break the trim piece when you try to pop it off, and it sounds like you break the trim piece when the clip actually does pop off.

Alright, enough venting from me.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey asasin79 let me know if you find anything that works here in Dallas, I need some of those stupid little clips too.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:41 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally posted by iodine23

Exactly... I pushed mine when I was installing my intake and they went slightly in but since I didn't know that was it I slowly raised the plastic duct and the pins fell somewhere in the engine bay.
I was able to find one but the other one is somewhere in NJ
They suck.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

joey you have pm
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:51 PM

I don't know if it's worth the trouble but if you go to a pick a part place, I'm sure you could grab a bunch of them from the interior of various cars (at least the push button ones) which would be quicker to remove and replace. They might not match the color of the rest of the clips but if there's any roadkill under you car that complains about the color then just run them over again.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
$1.30 something per pair if you buy them at Performance Mitsubishi with a discount all of us get. I had to buy a bunch of them when my plastic undertray got torn off too.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

pic1 8mm stem width
Attached Thumbnails Evo Undertray Fasteners-picture-498.jpg  
Old Mar 9, 2004, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

pic2 22.5mm stem length
Attached Thumbnails Evo Undertray Fasteners-picture-499.jpg  
Old Mar 9, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member