Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Undertray Fasteners

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Undertray Fasteners

someone please help. i go to the dyno frequently and have to remove the undertray to get to the front tow hook, so a couple of the p.o.s. fasteners are stripped. does anyone know where i can buy more besides the dealership @ $3.00 ea. or anyone have any suggestions. thanks in advance guys. i searched extensively so please no flames.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

1/4 x 20 "long" spring clips with truss head screws and 1.75 od fender washers is what I use. I like the old school feel of metal to metal..rrr you can use these for almost every point the undertray fastens to the othe bodywork.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Fasteners

I found some plastic fasteners from a local shop for $0.50 each !!! On the top of the picture, the stock undertray fastener is on the right, and the ones I got is on the left. I never tried them on the undertray, but they fit in the holes that fit the air intake scoop.

I needed extra ones for the trunk since I lost a lot of them when I took off the trunk cover.
Attached Thumbnails Evo Undertray Fasteners-dsc00050.jpg  
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

still plastic= use once throw away. Or use twice = broken and spend 20 extra minutes getting your undertray off...
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldnt go too drastic and get metal fasteners -> my opinion. I could have just got a SS nut and SS bolt with a screw head to make sure my fasteners will even outlast my car, but the plastic ones are easy to "push-in", light, and they look stock!!!
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

OK, what's the best way to remove them without thrashing them on the first attempt?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Try King Bolt in California..
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

dude they suck. the easiest way to remove them is to use a screwdriver that fits them PERFECTLY and a tack puller. loosen slowly with no upward pressure and slip the tack puller then pry down as you loosen.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Hold the outer head and unscrew the actual philips head WITHOUT applying pressure to it so it wont be staying intact. Wait till the head comes up to about 1/4 inch and pull the sucker out!
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

I can't imagine you can strip those little guys out. You just mean that they don't want to come out when you turn them? If that's the case then you just need to apply a little pressure to them to get the threads to bite better and it will back out.

Usually if one of them won't come out I'll tackle ones around them that will and the new angle of the dangle (hehehe) of the undertray will apply some pressure on the stubborn one, allowing it to back out. If that doesn't work then I'll just reach in and grab the back of it and pinch it to get the threads to bite. Either that or pull the shrouding down to cause the backside to pinch in and bite the threads.

If they really are stripped out then just make some new ones as others suggest I guess. I've broken one and lost at least one more, so I'm fast getting to the point of needing some new ones myself.

EDIT: By applying pressure, I mean from behind, not with the screwdriver. This will pinch the clip inwards, biting into the threads.

Last edited by iodine23; Feb 26, 2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

its too bad that didn't use the same ones they used on the intake snorkel. those ones are cool all you have to do is push down and pop out.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

There is a place in town that has (had 300 unitl I bout 30!) around 200 of them. I can help you guys get some WITHOUT any fees.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

no the actual phillips head is stripped it looks like someone used a smaller screwdriver to take it out. not me though.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:59 PM
JDF

Errr... I managed to rip all of the under tray from my car. Heard it, then saw it flying behind my car in the rear view mirror. Went back and got it and all of the fasteners are gone. Is there a skid plate or something more substantial available that I could replace the entire stock stuff with, otherwise I'll try and get some of those plastic fasteners.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Hahahaha, thats funny. Ill help you out.

Originally posted by JDF
Errr... I managed to rip all of the under tray from my car. Heard it, then saw it flying behind my car in the rear view mirror. Went back and got it and all of the fasteners are gone. Is there a skid plate or something more substantial available that I could replace the entire stock stuff with, otherwise I'll try and get some of those plastic fasteners.

Quick Reply: Evo Undertray Fasteners