Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blow-by causing me to loose tons of power?? 2.4L/DBB-FPblack

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blow-by causing me to loose tons of power?? 2.4L/DBB-FPblack

Hey Guys, this is my build that isn't going great! I have a built 2.4l stroker motor and just finished breaking it in(+2000 miles).
Here is some info about the the 2.4L. It has CP pistons and Carillo rods.I took it to a reputable machine shop that has built motors before. Since I bought the shortblock used I had him take a look at it and freshin it up.
At first he told me that the clearnace was 80 thousandthsand he had to get it "coated" to get it to be 50 thousandths. That raised a falg in my head and I wasn't too sure about that but he re-assured me that sometimes its normal for that and coating it is "ok".

Fast forward how I got to know about my blow-by

At first I noticed I had some blow by when I would boost the car at about 25psi and learned that because the dip stick would pop out.

When I noticed that I bought a catch can and hooked up 1-10an line and 1-6an line to the valve cover. Along with that I got a 6an line going from the dip stick to the catch can. That solved the problem for the dip stick not popping out and relieved some pressure.

Prepping the car for tuning, I went to boost leak pressure test the car and noticed ALOT of blow by. I plugged off all 3 lines going to the catch can but then air would be pissingout of the oil cap. I shouldn't say seeping, I should say extremely pissing out air and this was just at 18psi. I opened the oil cap and it felt like most of the air was coming out of there.

My setup is:
2.4L
adjustable cams
dbb fp-black
map stage 3 head(with the workds)
gsc s3 cams
br double pumper
map short runner manifold
jmf 02 dump
ets fmic
3" turbo back
..crap load mods.

Basically at 30psi on e85 we are making around 500whp...want to be sure its not cause of blowby..!!

Is that a true verdict? Has anyone experienced that?

I have put dumped a crap load of money/time/effort into this damn car!! I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by NOMIEZVR4; Oct 3, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

any suggestions..
Old Oct 4, 2013, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Do a leakdown test and get back to us.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remember blowby increases with a built motor due to larger ring gaps and piston to wall clearance. Also blowby is a % of airflow so if you double the airflow you double the blowby. Double the % and the air flow and you have quadruple the blowby and need to also update the PCV system to handle that. Domestics use vacuum pumps. I have wondered if an electric vacuum pump on a pressure switch would be a good idea. We don't have the room for a crank driven pump under the hood on an EVO with all stock accessories.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

I didnt get a chance to do a leak down test but I did a compression test and it was perfect compression.

Drive ability wise, the car is amazing, its really fast, turbo spools fast.. I enjoy it . I was just curious to know if anyone else has run into these issues.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope that catch can you fitted isn't a vented one.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:06 AM

Don't vent the dipstick tube, due to the fact that there is no baffle it is not designed to vent, Re install Your Dip Stick. I would highly recommend running 2 -8 lines from your valve cover with baffle to a catch can and run a venturi (angled 1/2" check valve in your down pipe) to evacuate the fumes without ingesting oil vapor through your turbo.

Last edited by yellow303EVO; Oct 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

what does this mean?

Originally Posted by NOMIEZVR4
At first he told me that the clearnace was 80 thousandthsand he had to get it "coated" to get it to be 50 thousandths. That raised a falg in my head and I wasn't too sure about that but he re-assured me that sometimes its normal for that and coating it is "ok".
what was the "it" with "80 thousandthsand" of "clearnace" you had coated?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Can I ask what you were expecting to make at 30psi on an FP Black? Depending on the dyno that seems about right... maybe im wrong?