Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question about ECU/ECM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question about ECU/ECM

Hey guys. I absolutely love this forum and can find just about any information that I would need to get problems taken care of for my car. I'm definitely not much of a poster myself, but that's what the search function is for right?

Anyways, I've got a bit of a problem. Some low life scum bag decided that he wanted to break into my car yesterday and steal my ECU/ECM. Now, I would figure that if you are a thief, like all thieves, most of them are careless and would probably cut wires, damage other interior parts, etc, to cut down on time and be less noticeable to the public. Well this guy did the complete opposite which kind of made me a bit worried and didn't make sense until I thought every scenario through. He ended up taking the time to pull the glovebox out without damaging it and properly unplugged all the wires. He was doing all this with the alarm still blasting off. I'm almost certain this guy was going to come back and take the car after having the ECU reprogrammed or something. Maybe bypassing the immobilizer on it. I wouldn't even doubt it if this guy is probably on this forum because he really made it seem as if he knew exactly what he was doing.

Anyways, I'm currently on the search for another ECU to replace mine. My question is, if this guy reprogrammed my old ECU and let's just say he came back, is it possible for him to unplug my new ECU, replace with the old and start the car with another key? I'm just a bit concerned for this matter as I really hope it doesn't come to this. What can I do to to prevent this from happening?

If I get a used ECU, I know I have to get the immobilizer programmed with my current key. Is the dealer the only place I can go to and have this done? Can anyone else help me out on this issue? I would be willing to pay if possible. I'm kind of scared to go to the dealer because I don't know if I want to take the chance finding out that this thief knows someone that works at the dealer and has his own little "hook ups". Then find out that my car is really taken after finding out that he replicated another key. Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. PM's are welcome as well. Thanks for any advice or tips.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If he has the ECU he can reflash it to disable to immobilizer. In that event, yes, he could break into your car again, swap in that ECU and have much less/no trouble starting the car (not familiar with what other security measures are in place to prevent this sort of thing).

Do you (or someone who may have tuned you in the past) have any saved copies of your old ECU's rom? If you do you can simply copy over the immobilizer from the rom on your stolen ECU to the one on the new ECU and not have to reprogram the key.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Raptord
If he has the ECU he can reflash it to disable to immobilizer. In that event, yes, he could break into your car again, swap in that ECU and have much less/no trouble starting the car (not familiar with what other security measures are in place to prevent this sort of thing).

Do you (or someone who may have tuned you in the past) have any saved copies of your old ECU's rom? If you do you can simply copy over the immobilizer from the rom on your stolen ECU to the one on the new ECU and not have to reprogram the key.
Thanks for the quick response. Then that kind of sucks if they can just swap out and start the car. That's basically saying that any Evo can be easily taken because of the reflash. Hopefully there are other security measures to prevent this from happening.

Unfortunately, I have not had the car tuned. In fact, there is nothing much I even did to the car. It's pretty much bone stock, except for the radiator that I had to change out because of the leakage. Other than that, it's pretty factory. I called the dealer to ask about a new ECU, but they had told me it was gonna be about $1200 for a new reprogrammed one! Kind of expensive when I can pick up a low mileage used one online for about $300. I was just wondering if people are selling them online, then there must be a way to have it reprogrammed for your specific vehicle, no?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, they're easily re-flashed with EcuFlash.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just get a new key with the new ECU. Have it cut to the original and no hardware changes.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:52 PM

Yes, they're easily re-flashed with EcuFlash.
Is this something I can do myself or have someone else do it for me? Sorry for the questions, just need to make sure I get all my facts straight before deciding what to do. If the used ECU can be reflashed, does this mean the immobilizer will also work with my current key? Or does it have to be disabled? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by njboy
Just get a new key with the new ECU. Have it cut to the original and no hardware changes.
Yeah, I would probably do that, but I'm trying to avoid getting a new ECU and cutting down my expense as much as possible. Trying to see if there are any other alternative routes that I can go with.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it's doable by anyone with a laptop, a tactrix cable and EcuFlash. Many of us flash and tune our cars ourselves (check the EcuFlash subforum).

You'd have to know the immobilizer code from your old ECU to be able to copy the same value to the new ECU. Since you don't have a rom image of the old ECU, you're pretty much out of luck for that option.

From what I understand about the immobilizer system, you'd need to either disable the immobilizer on your new ECU with EcuFlash, or have your key reprogrammed for the immobilizer code on the new ECU.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 05:17 PM

Yes, it's doable by anyone with a laptop, a tactrix cable and EcuFlash. Many of us flash and tune our cars ourselves (check the EcuFlash subforum).

You'd have to know the immobilizer code from your old ECU to be able to copy the same value to the new ECU. Since you don't have a rom image of the old ECU, you're pretty much out of luck for that option.

From what I understand about the immobilizer system, you'd need to either disable the immobilizer on your new ECU with EcuFlash, or have your key reprogrammed for the immobilizer code on the new ECU.
Is the immobilizer code the same code that the dealer gives you when you need to replace your key if it is missing or damaged? I got this little tag that has like a 4 digit number. When I had originally purchased it, they told me to bring that tag in if I need to get another copy of the key. If not, then I guess I really have no other choice but to get another key reprogrammed then. Does the key have to be programmed at the dealer as well?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
The metal tag is the key cut code, it tells an automatic cut machine how to cut a new key so it will fit your car, provided the locks have never been changed.
It has nothing to do with immobilizer, and you would still need to have a new key programmed.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by superbovine
The metal tag is the key cut code, it tells an automatic cut machine how to cut a new key so it will fit your car, provided the locks have never been changed.
It has nothing to do with immobilizer, and you would still need to have a new key programmed.
Ahh, I see. Well, then I guess I really don't have much of a choice then. I see some people selling ECU's with the key and everything so I guess I won't have much of a choice. Not that I really use my key to unlock doors anyways since I have a remote with my alarm. Only thing would be the trunk. What a pain in the *** all this is becoming.

Hmmm... so then with the used ECU, I should be able to source the immobilizer code on it and have it programmed into my current key right? Or it has to be done on a new set of keys?

Again, willing to pay anyone that can have this done for me. Car is not drivable and need it back on the road asap. It's my daily driver.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Your best bet would be to temporarily disable the immobilizer on the new ecu so you can drive then having the keys reprogrammed when you can. The keys are fixed, you don't program them, you program the keys into the ecu. Of course if you don't have a tactrix you're out of luck altogether. Best to just tow it to the dealer to have the keys programmed. It's usually a half hour labor just because it's the minimum charge, but being in the northeast I know theres a lot of crap dealers up there that over charge.

I'd do it for free, but you'd have about a 1400 mile tow bill.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by superbovine
Your best bet would be to temporarily disable the immobilizer on the new ecu so you can drive then having the keys reprogrammed when you can. The keys are fixed, you don't program them, you program the keys into the ecu. Of course if you don't have a tactrix you're out of luck altogether. Best to just tow it to the dealer to have the keys programmed. It's usually a half hour labor just because it's the minimum charge, but being in the northeast I know theres a lot of crap dealers up there that over charge.

I'd do it for free, but you'd have about a 1400 mile tow bill.
Thanks for the advice. I've got something planned right now at the moment, but don't want to speak what I'm planning on doing in case this loser of a thief is a part of this forum and possibly know what I'm planning on doing. I've definitely got some tricks up my sleeve for this guy. Next time, he will be caught, let's put it that way. Other than that, thanks for your offer. Wish I could go down, but definitely not an option.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck