Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transmission and TCase install question!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Transmission and TCase install question!

Dropped my transfer case and transmission out of the car a few weeks ago. I should be getting both back from ShepTrans on friday

I already purchased all new OEM fluids and a new DP donut gasket.

Has anyone had any prior experience with the installation and know and more parts I need to purchase for it?

Even some tips would be nice lol,

Thanks

- Phil
Old Oct 8, 2013, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you take the trans and tcase out? If yes pretty straight forward putting it back.. few threads on here about it. I would make sure you have the orings for the tcase few extras just in case.
Good article around the trans portion
http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=27
Old Oct 8, 2013, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea I took them both out on jackstands in the driveway

I did order two new orings for the tcase already tho!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've never removed the tc so no help there but I recently did a clutch on a 5-speed. I thought the install was going to be difficult. So before hand I did four things.

1. Took a Dremel to the four studs on the end of the tranny and cut them off leaving enough for the thickness of the mount, nuts and a bit more.

2. Put the transmission in neutral and removed the control housing.

3. Dropped the engine as much as possible while avoiding smashing anything against the fender

4. Moved the engine forward about an inch. I did this by inserting the scissor jack that came with the car vertically ahead of the transfer case and in between the block and subframe.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a bad tip with the scissor jack... I've seen people use pry bars but that's hard when you do it like I did by myself on jackstands. I ended up dropping the front subframe and that made installation a cake walk.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
Not a bad tip with the scissor jack... I've seen people use pry bars but that's hard when you do it like I did by myself on jackstands. I ended up dropping the front subframe and that made installation a cake walk.
I had intended to drop the subframe. I don't know what the front bolt on the subframe got torqued to at the factory on my car but my air wrench wouldn't touch it and with a box end on it and about 4 feet of pipe on the box end I could feel the pipe starting to bend. So I figured it was time for a plan B. Doing what I did also makes it close to a cake walk.

It would be interesting to have someone post here who has watched a mechanic at an Evo pro shop and tell how they do it. The only thing I have seen done by a pro is this film on youtube.

As you see, he drops the subframe but I don't believe that this is the usual practice.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^ that's the proper way to do it. It's always better to remove as much as possible before hand. In the long run its actually quicker.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the small o ring on the tcase between where it mates to the tranny is the most important thing.
also if u loosened your subframe remember to retorque it when u finish the install.
proper tcase filling is another thing.

also make sure when u put the axles back into the tcase that you dont jamb it in there and pinch the tcase inner seal. you will have a leak thats a huge headache.