Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Question

I have been noticing that when the Transmission is cold, it is quite difficult to shift until it is warmed up. But after its warm it is still somewhat difficult to shift between gears at lower engine speeds <3000 RPM. When I am driving around slow, it feels like I need to shift slower to avoid a Notchy feel. When I am driving aggressively there is no issues shifting. Is this normal or is this a warning of Syncros going bad?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's normal I know I get the same thing too so that's nothing to be afraid of once it gets warm it gets easier.

Since you said after its warmed up I can be a number of things
more than likely the culprit. does it still feel like its engaged even though you have your foot down on the clutch all the way.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check for clutch drag.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:08 PM

The engagement is fine when its warm, the other concerning thing is that when I shift into first while rolling to a stop I hear a clunk that sounds like it resonates through the drive lines. I was considering switching out the fluid to Red line Gear oil, I have heard it works wonders in Evo trannys. I just looked at a thread for clutch drag and I do remember that the Clutch pedal is set very high, (higher than the brake) This is probably because the old clutch was severely worn, Thought the engagement point is about half way out, I wonder if adjusting it closer to the floor of the car would help.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by Simmons; Oct 21, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 05:47 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
Check for clutch drag.
Thanks! That seemed to have solved the problem. The clutch was adjusted all the way out for the very worn old clutch. I have it set so the engagement is right off the floor now, and the pedal is level with the brake.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What fluid is in it now? How often are you replacing the fluid? IMO the best fluid for the 5 speed is the redline cocktail mix. Ive tried many different fluids and this has worked out best for me.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 08:46 AM

I have put about 5k on the Car since I got it and I was planning on using Redline in the next couple of weeks. It came highly recommended from a friend who worked on Evos. I was planning on replacing the fluid per Mitsubishi recommended interval.