Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 7, next mods

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
any elaboration?
+1
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:49 PM

ok so ebcs can hold higher pressure as opposed to stock which bleeds off to wastegate but both are still controlled by ecu.
What about manual vs ebcs? Is it worth going ebcs?
Price difference isn't much, I was going to go with manual because it was easier to install but then found out that ebcs will give the ability to tune the pressure at various rpm. Is tuning the pressure really necessary? I know that you might want to lower the pressure to prevent detonation etc, but how often is that an issue for you mbc guys?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kaveeth
ok so ebcs can hold higher pressure as opposed to stock which bleeds off to wastegate but both are still controlled by ecu.
What about manual vs ebcs? Is it worth going ebcs?
Price difference isn't much, I was going to go with manual because it was easier to install but then found out that ebcs will give the ability to tune the pressure at various rpm. Is tuning the pressure really necessary? I know that you might want to lower the pressure to prevent detonation etc, but how often is that an issue for you mbc guys?
That depend on what you are trying to do and your tuner
If your tuner is comfortable with EBCS,go ahead and do that
Vice versa for MBC/EBC
EBCS is mostly useful for specific scenario such as when you are running high power/torque stock block setup and you want to control the torque curve via boost alteration
Or for scenario where you want to build a boost taper into your tune
Otherwise a MBC work just fine and it is easy to setup
Old Nov 2, 2013, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
The MBC is certainly easier to install and set. There's a bit of tuning work required to set up a 3-port BCS. A 3-port leaves some options open for down the road: torque curve alteration, gear based boost control, direct boost control instead of load based, and eliminating boost taper. From the sounds of it you'll probably be perfectly happy with an MBC.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:21 PM

Yeah no real plans after these mods, I think I'll be satisfied, just want to get the most out of it without replacing major parts.
I think MBC will be the way to go
Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

I have electronic boost controller, grim speed, has 6 settings. As for your mods they are pretty basic with minimal gains. If I was goin to dyno, its expensive, so do all mods u wana do b4 ur tune. As for more fuel and boost......if u want to fry your motor to much boost will get u that. Forge it before you go nuts
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo5madness
I have electronic boost controller, grim speed, has 6 settings. As for your mods they are pretty basic with minimal gains. If I was goin to dyno, its expensive, so do all mods u wana do b4 ur tune. As for more fuel and boost......if u want to fry your motor to much boost will get u that. Forge it before you go nuts
I did have 255 walbro on my old motor but kept the boost conservative. Had to many mates putting up the boost and blowing motors. If you keep your boost set at your tune you will be fine. I would be very careful going over 20psi on standard internals
Old Nov 3, 2013, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo5madness
I did have 255 walbro on my old motor but kept the boost conservative. Had to many mates putting up the boost and blowing motors. If you keep your boost set at your tune you will be fine. I would be very careful going over 20psi on standard internals
It's all about controlling the torque curve, you don't want too much torque to come up too soon and to harsh ore else you will snap a rod or spin a bearing . ( this is where your 3 portcomes in to play) as long as you are not knocking, the most important thing is a good tune. There are plenty of people going above 27 lbs on the stock block including myself. Just make sure your tune is spot on
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Elaboration on why we only use the Hallman MBC?

Fastest spool.
Dead set reliable - doesn't vary how it works based on weather conditions like many EBCVs can.
Simple (huge bonus.)
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:04 PM

Hallman MBC, cool sounds good!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by STM Tuned
Elaboration on why we only use the Hallman MBC?

Fastest spool.
Dead set reliable - doesn't vary how it works based on weather conditions like many EBCVs can.
Simple (huge bonus.)
I easily understand the reliable/simple statements. This isn't the first time I've heard the faster spool comment about MBC vs. 3-port. I don't understand why this is. A MBC is a simple device that artificially lowers the boost signal going to the wastegate. A 3-port also artificially lowers the boost signal going to the wastegate via duty cycle %. How is it that the MBC is faster? Is it that people aren't setting up their WGDC correctly or is it inherent in the 3-port that it's slower?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hypothetically neither should increase lag - at least without a really long, in-depth writeup about the principles of both.

There are also tuners on here who are strictly EBC and others (like us) who are strictly MBC.

What I can really put on the table is the results of our cars and our tuning - rock solid boost and tons of really fast cars all using the same boost controller.

Originally Posted by terror rising
I easily understand the reliable/simple statements. This isn't the first time I've heard the faster spool comment about MBC vs. 3-port. I don't understand why this is. A MBC is a simple device that artificially lowers the boost signal going to the wastegate. A 3-port also artificially lowers the boost signal going to the wastegate via duty cycle %. How is it that the MBC is faster? Is it that people aren't setting up their WGDC correctly or is it inherent in the 3-port that it's slower?