Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much would you pay for an Evo IX MR, salvage titled?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much would you pay for an Evo IX MR, salvage titled?

I'm in the market for an Evo IX MR at the moment, and I need your help with pricing.

I found one with 82k miles on it. Bolt ons, JDM rear, transfer case, differential, clutch, flywheel, seals, intercooler, and driveshaft.

Titled as salvage. Awaiting reply as to where the damage was, but stated there was no frame damage.

How much would you guys pay for this Evo? I understand buying a salvage title can be a bad idea, but I'll definitely check out the car with a mechanic. I just don't know the values of an Evo so well, especially with a salvage title.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Its hard to really say unless looking at the under carriage of the car. I once bought a salvaged 03 and looked underneath. Only the left rear body was damaged. Only slightly, but I picked it up for 9300. Had 98000 miles. UICP BOV and Hks filter.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by sadc
Its hard to really say unless looking at the under carriage of the car. I once bought a salvaged 03 and looked underneath. Only the left rear body was damaged. Only slightly, but I picked it up for 9300. Had 98000 miles. UICP BOV and Hks filter.
Thanks for chiming in. That's so much cheaper lol this guy wants $20,000, which is KBB perfect condition.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Salvage title... run away unless you want to make a track car out of it.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:24 AM

Salvage

I bought my Evo ix MR with 22000 miles on it with a salvage title. Maybe I got lucky, but I have put 10000 miles on it without any issue. It is not a collectors car, but it has been reliable. I paid around 19000.00, a little steep, but it was close to home so I did not have to pay for travel and it had ultra low miles. Since it has the salvage title, I can run the heck out of it and not worry about depreciation.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Depends on the condition. If it is in showroom shape with a fully built motor, id say 20 is fair. But i wouldnt buy an mr anyways, weak transmission. Get an se instead, you get the five speed plus all the other mr goodies minus the bilstein suspension. Most people get coilovers so no big deal.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:25 AM

my buddy just got a 9 nwith 62k miles and a fpgreen and full bolt ons + cams and some other goods for 10500
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:26 AM

I buy salvaged cars and rebuild and sell them for a job. go to copart.com
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

U can get a clean titled car with that mileage for that price. Salvage title maybe 10-11k
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
8k max. If it's in decent shape
Old Nov 2, 2013, 01:47 PM

I'd never pay $20k for a salvage title when you can get one without a salvage title for the same price.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jadyer
my buddy just got a 9 nwith 62k miles and a fpgreen and full bolt ons + cams and some other goods for 10500
thats really good. I paid 12 for my 9 with 89k on the clock. Only mod was an exhaust and a 3 port with a tune, an it was super clean.

depending on what happened will justify the price. In my case, it was an insurance flop from a low speed impact that broke the drivers headlight and driver fender.

My first evo was a 8 MR but theft recovery... those are they most desirable types. Only thing was that mine apparently went through a chop shop so it had been dismantled to pieces then reconstructed. It wasn't in the best of shape at all, but it was reliable and to me, worth the 11k I paid. had 56k.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jfvhpilot
I bought my Evo ix MR with 22000 miles on it with a salvage title. Maybe I got lucky, but I have put 10000 miles on it without any issue. It is not a collectors car, but it has been reliable. I paid around 19000.00, a little steep, but it was close to home so I did not have to pay for travel and it had ultra low miles. Since it has the salvage title, I can run the heck out of it and not worry about depreciation.
That's one hell of a deal, if the one I'm looking at had that little miles on it. I'd jump on it for $20k for sure. I also plan to just keep the car forever and rebuild, so I'm not thinking about reselling it.

Originally Posted by mberenis
Depends on the condition. If it is in showroom shape with a fully built motor, id say 20 is fair. But i wouldnt buy an mr anyways, weak transmission. Get an se instead, you get the five speed plus all the other mr goodies minus the bilstein suspension. Most people get coilovers so no big deal.
It looks to be in really good shape. The guy says he got rear ended on the driver side, and ended up getting the JDM rear + tail lights. I only want the MR because I plan to tune her for E85 in the future, and all my Evo GSR buddies are saying they cruise on the freeway at 70mph cause at 80mph they'd be burning E85 really quick. So the 6th gear sounded practical for me.

Originally Posted by jadyer
And here I am.. looking at a $20k Evo 9 with higher miles and bolt ons. I'm jealous lol

Originally Posted by prowakeskater
thats really good. I paid 12 for my 9 with 89k on the clock. Only mod was an exhaust and a 3 port with a tune, an it was super clean.

depending on what happened will justify the price. In my case, it was an insurance flop from a low speed impact that broke the drivers headlight and driver fender.

My first evo was a 8 MR but theft recovery... those are they most desirable types. Only thing was that mine apparently went through a chop shop so it had been dismantled to pieces then reconstructed. It wasn't in the best of shape at all, but it was reliable and to me, worth the 11k I paid. had 56k.
Whole rear end got replaced. Seller stated he decided to get the Shep Trans parts at the time to go with it. Also states that the Shep Trans parts are worth $4k+.

All-in-all, he says he won't sell it for $14k because it's "too low" and it's an "EVO IX MR" with Shep Trans parts. What do you guys say to that?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say keep looking
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEvoo
That's one hell of a deal, if the one I'm looking at had that little miles on it. I'd jump on it for $20k for sure. I also plan to just keep the car forever and rebuild, so I'm not thinking about reselling it.

It looks to be in really good shape. The guy says he got rear ended on the driver side, and ended up getting the JDM rear + tail lights. I only want the MR because I plan to tune her for E85 in the future, and all my Evo GSR buddies are saying they cruise on the freeway at 70mph cause at 80mph they'd be burning E85 really quick. So the 6th gear sounded practical for me.

And here I am.. looking at a $20k Evo 9 with higher miles and bolt ons. I'm jealous lol

Whole rear end got replaced. Seller stated he decided to get the Shep Trans parts at the time to go with it. Also states that the Shep Trans parts are worth $4k+.

All-in-all, he says he won't sell it for $14k because it's "too low" and it's an "EVO IX MR" with Shep Trans parts. What do you guys say to that?
I say until he finds a sucker he'll be holding on to the car. 14k is still 5k or so too high IMO

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for an Evo IX MR, salvage titled?