Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Low oil temp, boggy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low oil temp, boggy acceleration

Not really a boggy acceleration per say, but when I put my foot to the floor in high gears (4th, 5th, 6th) the boost seems to come in bursts. I hear it suck, push air, suck, push air. Hard to explain really, so im hoping someone can pick up on it.

Also, my oil temps seem low comparative to other cars I've driven in the past. On the oem oil temp gauge im getting between 50-70 Celcius. But it sits a little above 50 most of the time. Ambient temps around me are around 50 Fahrenheit give or take. Coolant temp sits right in the middle, perfect.

Only other oil related issue (or what I think is oil related) is a small grind on cold startup that i'm suspecting is low oil pressure on cold oil, and subsequently low oil in the head. Not sure if anyone has any insight on that too, but im not to concerned because it doesn't happen more then a second.

Anyways, I picked up this evo this weekend, and have been testing it so far. Mods are as follows: Perrin intake, 3'' megan exhaust & full 3'' exhaust, gsc 274 cams, new stage 2 comp clutch, coil on plug setup, 3 port boost solenoid, balance shaft delete. Everything tuned on 23-24 psi by psi precision in baltimore. Car has 59k.

Hopefully I'm not being too big of a noob, but until I'm acclimated to the 4g63 and evo9s in general I suppose I'll be sort of a boob. And I'm not sure if my issues are just new car related or what, but the only other turboed car I've driven was a vrt vw corrado. Either way, thanks for anyone whos helpin me out, would like to get on the right track about these 3 things.

Cheers!

Last edited by b16fy; Nov 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 06:37 AM

Going to order a new oem oil temp sender, and going to work on a boost tester for monday. Any advice is welcome.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 03:24 PM

what speed are you noticing the weird boost at in those higher gears.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil pressure should be higher cold, not lower...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by boostin gsr
what speed are you noticing the weird boost at in those higher gears.
4th gear is fine
5th gear - 45-55 mph
6th gear - 60+

6th gear is the worst, it just bursts the boost it seems. And if I put the pedal to the floor it backfires, so I stopped trying to boost in 6th. Although, boost is semi-steady if im up around 80 mph. I think my problem is im just granny shifting, I usually always shift around 3000 rpms give or take.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TeachersEvo
oil pressure should be higher cold, not lower...
I meant there isn't any immediate oil in the top end. And im looking more toward idle pulley now, because its not really a grind but a screech. And when I first start up it struggles around 500 rpms, then when it pops to 1000 its all good.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by b16fy
4th gear is fine
5th gear - 45-55 mph
6th gear - 60+

6th gear is the worst, it just bursts the boost it seems. And if I put the pedal to the floor it backfires, so I stopped trying to boost in 6th. Although, boost is semi-steady if im up around 80 mph. I think my problem is im just granny shifting, I usually always shift around 3000 rpms give or take.
You should avoid flooring it in 6th gear anyway - it's a cruising gear.
If you need to accelerate, downshift.

The other problems sound weird. Check for boost leaks.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by STM Tuned
You should avoid flooring it in 6th gear anyway - it's a cruising gear.
If you need to accelerate, downshift.

The other problems sound weird. Check for boost leaks.
Will have to do that then, but from 1st,2nd,3rd,4th gear the boost is PERFECT. Strong and steady. I think my problem is my driving, I think im putting to much pedal into it before 5th and 6th gear are up to speed.

5th and 6th gear boost isn't too big of a deal, not that many times I'll need to be at 5k-6k rpms in those gears.

And yeah I only WOT at 6th gear because I was just curious how it would react. didn't like the outcome, not doing that again.